Author Topic: Chris Brubeck's Triple Play  (Read 2854 times)

chromium

• View Profile
Chris Brubeck's Triple Play
« on: January 21, 2010, 12:58:32 AM »
I stumbled across a nice clip of Chris Brubeck playing his modified 4001 fretless:

patman

• View Profile
Re: Chris Brubeck's Triple Play
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 06:33:48 AM »
I'm at work so I can't play this, but typically Chris has my favorite fretless sound. 

nofi

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 07:10:58 AM »
nice take on a great song. also refreshing to see a fretless player who's choice of bass is not a fender.

Hornisse

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 07:24:18 AM »
When Dave Brubeck played at St. Andrews Presbyterian College in the fall of '79 Chris was using the same bass although it was bone stock at that time.  It had a huge sound and was the first time I'd heard a fretless Rickenbacker bass. 

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 12:41:34 PM »
Great sound. Is the J pickup an essential part of it?
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 01:18:05 PM »
I saw the jazz pickup in there, but I also noticed the toggle is on the neck position - and it looks like there's a toaster there.  Of course, that assumes its even wired close to stock, so hard to say if/how that contributes.  Great sound in any case, and the whole lineup there really works for me.  Good stuff!

I thought to look up Brubeck having come across this clip, with a guy named Anders Christensen plaing a 4001 in a jazz/bebop outfit:

I actually don't care much for that, but if you make it past the dirge at the beginning it picks up around 1:00.  For some reason I got a kick out of seeing a Ric in a setting like that.  Seems like its prone to get typecast as a rock-n-roll bass.  Anyway, that's what made me think of Brubeck.

This whole Internet/Youtube stuff is great.  It's like playing six degrees of Kevin Bacon, or something.  An ADD person's dream come true!  I found the above clip due to Steve Cardenas' (the guitarist on the 335) association with bass player Ben Allison.  I liked his playing and solo (2:25) in this and wanted to see more of him:

Wait... what was I talking about again?   :)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 03:32:07 PM »
A very clean sound... very un-Rickie, though... out-of-the-ordinarily nice...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

nofi

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 04:29:04 PM »
when i saw willie dixon his bass player had a rick. how un blusey the purists must have thought. point is people love to catagorize everything, guess it makes them feel more secure. you can play any bass anywhere and make it work. to me that's the fun of playing. why you can even play four sets of cover tunes and not switch basses once.

yeah, yeah...but...but. i know. :)

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 06:30:55 AM »
When I used a 4001 (years ago), I used groundwounds, and got a very natural "organic" sort of sound with it...think Sir Paul with more modern mids and sustain.

nofi

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 09:44:13 AM »
wow. the more i listen the better it gets. love the ' drummer '. :)