Author Topic: will the bridge cover for P and J bass fit my Jaguar?  (Read 1347 times)

jamesstarky

• View Profile
will the bridge cover for P and J bass fit my Jaguar?
« on: January 18, 2010, 12:41:50 PM »
Hi everyone

I'm a new bassist. In fact I'm really a Jaguar guitar player but when I saw a Jaguar bass second hand in Denmark St I couldn't resist it.
Of course the Jaguar Bass looks amazing, only the bridge lets it down (compared to the Jaguar guitar bridge shape).

Then I saw this kid on youtube:

He's got both covers for bridge and pick ups. Now obviously I'm a lover of chrome, but that seems a bit to much!

The bridge cover he has is the bigger one with an 'F' that fits over the bridge pickpup too. But I'm wondering if the smaller cover that just
covers the bridge would work.

I don't have one to hand, so does anyone know if the smaller 'ashtray' cover would fit the Jaguar?

Cheers
James
Sheffield, South Yorks

dminer

• View Profile
Re: will the bridge cover for P and J bass fit my Jaguar?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 08:51:41 PM »
I don't own a Jaguar, but from the ones I've seen on ebay, the bridge looks the same as the Precision and Jazz. Therefore I would imagine that either the later p ashtray would work and even the early p ashtray/telecaster bass ashtray would fit. And, if the guys' j tray in the youtube fit, then it makes sense that a standard P tray would fit as well. To be sure, you should ask someone on ebay that's selling them for specific inside measurements.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 12:30:03 PM »
I don't own a Jaguar, but I don't see why a P bridge cover wouldn't fit. That being said, I just wanted to welcome you to the Outpost, James!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 01:54:15 PM »
The cover on the bridge in the video is a Jazz Bass bridge cover. It was meant to cover the rear pickup. In any case, the Jaguar bridge looks like a standard Fender bass bridge, if so a Precision or '51 Precision bridge cover will go over it. But I'm not sure where the body contour starts on the edge so I'm not sure they would lie flat.