Author Topic: Other hobbies  (Read 25453 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Re: Other hobbies
« Reply #150 on: October 07, 2010, 10:56:27 AM »
This has been distracting me this week. Not that it's a bad thing.

Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #151 on: October 07, 2010, 10:58:43 AM »
I'm f@&*)$@#@)*'n frustrated......spent all AM trying to install ONE software program on ONE stinkin' computer and am no closer than when I started after a long tech session, 10 re-boots and much screwing around.  All I have to do is install it on three of them today....but I have two more whole hours to work with, provided I skip lunch, which I'm not doing.

Seems like I don't have time for any hobbies or music anymore - I'm just keeping up with work, and not doing as good a job of that as I'd like.  I'm hoping to break the string of two weeks with a stiff neck and headaches.....

End of bitching for now.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 07, 2010, 11:17:36 AM »
That sucks Al, been there, done that. Only solution that may work: throw the damn computer outa window!
Don’t be stupid, be a smartie - come and join die schwarze Hardware party!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #153 on: October 07, 2010, 12:41:59 PM »
The quick fix was to go out for a long lunch, then dig out the two-year-old previous version of the software, install it and send an email with politely worded venom dripping from it to the vendor.  I'll be glad to return their software with a 1-gallon jar of Vaseline to expedite.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 07, 2010, 01:09:18 PM »
Name and shame, Al... (oops, best not, I think I just saw Dave's shadow... :o)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #155 on: October 07, 2010, 02:19:23 PM »
It's OK.  I've been using the Pinnacle Dazzle units for a few years - they're analog to digital converters that accept compsite or S-video, plus two channels of audio; they plug into a USB port and allow you to import the analog video and audio into a computer or burn it directly to DVD.  The converter boxes work great, and the Pinnacle Studio software version 12 is great.  Version 14 is simply unusable at present due to install problems.  (Wasn't that polite?)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #156 on: October 07, 2010, 02:36:06 PM »
My Hobbies
Cars...
'94 300ZX

2006 350z Twin Turbo

Motorcycles:
'76 Honda CB750F

2001 Honda VTR 1000F (with the late great Prince BuddyTom BuzzBomb)

2006 Ducati 800SS project

2002 Ducati Monster 750

And building a place for most of it (including my Bass Building shop)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #157 on: October 07, 2010, 07:40:46 PM »
You're a man after my own heart!

My '83 280ZX Turbo:

My 1958 Fiat 1200 Spyder...long time project car, but here's the goal...

The Fiat has been in the garage for 12 years with only incremental progress - the ZX has been parked for two months because I don't have time to mess with minor issues.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 08, 2010, 11:48:30 AM »
Not much time for hobbies anymore when your working 24/7.

Cool Ducati, seems like the vintage bike market is becoming popular again. I see a lot of guys riding around on restored 70's triumphs, Yamaha's & Honda's. Used to be mostly Harleys.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 08, 2010, 12:33:38 PM »
Nice toys!!  Man I bet that twin-turbo Z will tear your head off.  One of the guys I work with drives just a normally-aspirated G37, and riding to lunch in that thing is like a trip to magic mountain!

This is my vehicular toy - a '38 Buick Series 41 Business Coupe.  I haven't so much as even started it in 2 years, and I dread what awaits me the next time I do (not to mention having to flush out the fuel system first...).  I shoulda been running it periodically all this time

I used to do a lot of work myself on cars - mechanical, interior (even did that as a side biz for a while), and some paint.  Here's a shot of a Buick I had when I was about 20-21.  Don't laugh too hard - I lived in Tucson, AZ afterall.  This was a hot-rod there  ;D  I did the bodywork, interior, and uhhhh.. a bit of suspension work on it!

It had huge scrape-plates on the bottom of it - quite the light show at night!  Ahhhh to be young and stupid.  Got to know law enforcement and the court system well during that time, but hey chicks seemed to dig it :)    (until I'd throw King Crimson in the deck...)

No more time for cars between jobs, school, and family.  Any free time I get these days goes to music and music related gear - that's my hobby now...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #160 on: October 08, 2010, 01:21:40 PM »
Some cool vehicles going on here!  I'm digging Denis's bikes, Pilgrim's ZX and Fiat and Chromium's beautiful coupe.  Not to mention the Riviera.

The Z makes about 420 HP with the turbos engaged but is pretty civilized without them, 30+ mpg @70mph.  I need to get the A/C fixed.

I've found that music is overall less expensive and less hard work than cars and bikes.  If you don't touch a bass for 2 years chances are the most it's going to need is a 20 minute tune up.  Plus not near the depreciation factor.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 08, 2010, 05:57:42 PM »
I have a small collection (three) of wind up Victrolas and many unwanted 78's, most of witch I may never listen to. I find them kinda neat in the fact that you can play it & it sounds exactly as it did nearly 100 years ago. Unlike restoring an old radio & still hearing rap music on it. I recall reading a story about the musicians union objecting to these newfangled phonographs. They were sold as musical instruments, the union must have figured they would take work away from union musicians. It did happen eventually, but not until disco became popular..... >:(

This one is actually a Columbia, the other two are Victrolas
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 06:10:24 PM by Grog »
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 08, 2010, 07:29:19 PM »
I make or used to make Custom 12" action figures-Steve Austin, the six million dollar man is my favorite and a big seller along with the Prisoner, and Indiana jones. After losing my job as a model maker, I lost my taste for model making. I sell resin heads on ebay from time to time but mainly using the money to buy and build basses. I dig shooting WWII handguns, Flying with my dad who is a CFI in his 1946 Cessna 120, Fishing with my dad and my son in my canoe....haven't done much hunting... Camping...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 08, 2010, 09:58:15 PM »
I have a small collection (three) of wind up Victrolas and many unwanted 78's, most of witch I may never listen to. I find them kinda neat in the fact that you can play it & it sounds exactly as it did nearly 100 years ago. Unlike restoring an old radio & still hearing rap music on it. I recall reading a story about the musicians union objecting to these newfangled phonographs. They were sold as musical instruments, the union must have figured they would take work away from union musicians. It did happen eventually, but not until disco became popular..... >:(

That's a nice looking piece of furniture as well as an operating phonograph.

What kind of 78s? All genres?

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 09, 2010, 02:54:44 AM »
That's a nice looking piece of furniture as well as an operating phonograph.

What kind of 78s? All genres?

Pretty much anything left behind or unwanted by people that got wind that I was into this. My grandfather had a duplex for about 50 years, many renters left them in the attic. I ended up with all of them, plus he gave me his personal collection from when he was young. Popular music at that time was marches & opera. A lot of John Phillip Sousa. I would like to get to Chicago & try to pickup more of the blues 78's that inspired goups like the Beatles & many others. Those seem to be scarce. I have a few unplayed Les Paul albums.
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!