Author Topic: Other hobbies  (Read 24609 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: Other hobbies
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 02:33:01 PM »
Is sex to be considered a hobby?  ;D

Not if you're getting paid for it   ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 02:43:42 PM »
Lifted this to reply here...

I want to see progress pics. I have an Enterprise D (I despise most of the post-Rick Berman era Starfleet ships, the "E" included)  that I built about 15 years ago that been dropped and stepped on (nephews and drunk friends) and rebuilt several times that I love dearly. I just painted the inside of the clear "glowing" nacelle and deflector dish and it looks really good except where the curing of the paint caused cracks on the inside of the "red" nacelle front. I used to be a hardcore model builder of military aircraft, but my best work got destroyed (again: nephews and irresponsible grandparents). I have a 33 gallon storage tub full of rare model kits. I guess if I live to retire, I'll get around to them.

My wife and daughter do a lot of card-crafting and they persuaded me to take up the hobby again as I had not done anything since '76 or so - not done much so far - just honing up the old skill-sets - completed this last year - 2 odd scale mini kits (a TU144 and an XB70 - I have a "delta-wing" thing) and a 1/72 TSR2 (delta) - incompletes is a 2" Orion (2001), a 1/48 Eurofighter in RAF colours - still hoping for a "tiger" decal to emerge; and a 1/100 Vickers Viscount in 1950's BEA trim (my first flying experience - I also own a window from a scrapped real one - sad but true) - kits pending are the super large Revell Saturn V, the 1/48 TSR2, a 1/72 Concorde...
AMT NCC1701D - The plan is to light up with all the relevant coloured LED's - I have blue and white (redundant Xmas lights) but am still looking out
for some other colours to suit - going to open up most of the windows, light up all the relevant nacelles and engines, bridge, reflector, etc - no rush on this one and will post when starting...

I made some really nice kits, way back - my favourite was a 1/48 F86 in custom RAF camo with shark mouth - the tail was removable, as was the engine and all weapons coverings - Japanese kit, but forget which...
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 03:03:32 PM by Kenny Five-O »
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 03:00:33 PM »
... and not forgetting Ronn - I had to look that one up - care to explain further...?

Sure, Vexillology is the study of flags. I have a large(200+) collection of flags, some modern ones from my(and friends') travels, and some old ones from U.S. and Texas history. My oldest being a flag from 1876 celebrating the US Centennial.

"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010, 03:04:39 PM »
Now that is a thing of beauty...  8)
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 03:25:14 PM »
With two kids aged under 4yo being in bands is the only hobby I have time for, and compared to the other hobby I'd want to do (golf) is more family-friendly.  Golf would be a deal breaker for the kids, as I'd be away all day, but most of what I do with my bands is at night when the kids are asleep.

And Mark, awesome work on the trains.  Who would have thunk it?
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2010, 03:25:39 PM »
Sure, Vexillology is the study of flags. I have a large(200+) collection of flags, some modern ones from my(and friends') travels, and some old ones from U.S. and Texas history. My oldest being a flag from 1876 celebrating the US Centennial.

That is just to cool !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: No pic no kits
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2010, 03:29:35 PM »
Here ya go this is a older build so many are gone now  :sad: Revell BF 109G in 1/32 scaleFW 190 1/48 scaleCorsair 1/32 in progressIn reserve Revel 1/32 Spitfire needs weathering
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 03:35:26 PM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2010, 03:32:31 PM »
Nicely worn in too...  8)

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Re: No pic no kits
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2010, 03:37:42 PM »
Here ya go this is a older build so many are gone now  :sad: Revell BF 109G in 1/32 scaleFW 190 1/48 scaleCorsair 1/32 in progressIn reserve Revel 1/32 Spitfire needs weathering

Nice BF 109. Nice relicing, I remember building those kits, those 1/32 scale Revells. Mine were destroyed to M-80's.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2010, 03:42:20 PM »
LOL I burned many ! drill a hole in the wing tip, balance with clay, soak with lighter fluid, set afire and swing round in a circle. LMFAO :o Black smoke and dripping flaming polystyrene !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just don't get any on ya ! I have been buying up Revell 1/32 kits laetly............................not the best ever produced but I have many fond memories of them.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 04:03:03 PM by godofthunder »

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Yet another hobby
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2010, 03:50:13 PM »
I grew up (as did my dad and grandfather) sailing these boats at YMCA Camp Cory on Keuka lake in the 60's and 70's. They were built by Murray Wright from the 1920's-50's. only 324 were built, most cycled through the camp over the years. I restored my first one around '91 I am on my third now and for lack of few others a repository of information on these boats. In this picture # 97 is in the back ground and seaworthy, the foreground is hull #87 gifted to me last summer and everything you might expect by way of a free boat, it is my mission to bring her back. Might take a while. For me they are a connection to the past
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 04:47:16 PM by godofthunder »

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2010, 04:41:45 PM »
Don't do this at home kiddies... I err... I blew up a few... fireworks, decanted, when in season - always came with a handy fuse...

Forgot one... history of the New Zealand Shipping Company, and associated things... family links...

Did you add a few shots there, Scott, or did I scroll down too quickly first time round... there's one of those "types" I didn't know there, wasn't there...  ;D

Those sailing boats are a nice hobby to have - direct family link...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2010, 04:49:07 PM »
I added some and the Spitfire.............................. those in their finest hour need representation.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2010, 04:51:39 PM »
Mark, those train cars are incredible!  My compliments on fantastic work!!

Kenny, I'm learning that you have a very big heart....your place must be critter central. Aside from bunting wallabies with the car, it appears that you adopt darn near everything else.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2010, 04:55:51 PM »
Lifted this to reply here...

My wife and daughter do a lot of card-crafting and they persuaded me to take up the hobby again as I had not done anything since '76 or so - not done much so far - just honing up the old skill-sets - completed this last year - 2 odd scale mini kits (a TU144 and an XB70 - I have a "delta-wing" thing) and a 1/72 TSR2 (delta) - incompletes is a 2" Orion (2001), a 1/48 Eurofighter in RAF colours - still hoping for a "tiger" decal to emerge; and a 1/100 Vickers Viscount in 1950's BEA trim (my first flying experience - I also own a window from a scrapped real one - sad but true) - kits pending are the super large Revell Saturn V, the 1/48 TSR2, a 1/72 Concorde...
AMT NCC1701D - The plan is to light up with all the relevant coloured LED's - I have blue and white (redundant Xmas lights) but am still looking out
for some other colours to suit - going to open up most of the windows, light up all the relevant nacelles and engines, bridge, reflector, etc - no rush on this one and will post when starting...

I made some really nice kits, way back - my favourite was a 1/48 F86 in custom RAF camo with shark mouth - the tail was removable, as was the engine and all weapons coverings - Japanese kit, but forget which...
"Delta wing thing" I just got a old Hawk 1/72 Gloster Javelin kit in the mail today !  ;D