Author Topic: Nice vid of a guy playing the bass riff from Tull's "Bourée"  (Read 3891 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Nice vid of a guy playing the bass riff from Tull's "Bourée"
« on: January 11, 2010, 04:51:51 PM »
I've been messing around with this and it's much more technically involved that I thought it would be. Any of you guys ever play this one? What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/v/r9jmozk11Fw&hl=en_US&fs=1&
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Nice vid of a guy playing the bass riff from Tull's "Bourée"
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 06:19:54 PM »
All this time I thought it was a JS Bach composition. Now you tell me it's Tull. You learn something new every day.  :P

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 08:57:44 PM »
You didn't know Bach covered Tull's version?  :-\ Gosh dang, godfrey daniel mother of pearl.
I'm not completely dim and yes, I've known since high school that Bach was the composer but I was serious in asking what you guys thought of the bass riff, how this fellow played it and how you guys approached it if you've played it.
Clocks.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 09:17:45 PM »
It sounds overly busy to me. OTOH I've never heard Tull's version.

I would approach it much like like Leo Kottke did the bassline on guitar. It's not on YouTube but this guy plays it like Leo.

Hornisse

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 10:29:11 PM »
Next you're going to tell me that Could It Be Magic by Barry Manilow is based on Frédéric Chopin's Prelude in C Minor, Opus 28, Number 20!   :mrgreen:

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 06:44:01 AM »
Bach was always ripping other people off, look at that G String thing he took off Jacques Loussier.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 07:04:10 AM »
I've been messing around with this and it's much more technically involved that I thought it would be. Any of you guys ever play this one? What do you think?

Not only did I play that tune back in the day, but I played it on Tulls bassplayers 200 watt Sunn head several times. The band I was with opened up for Tull and Spirit before I joined them, and by accident, they wound up with a Sunn bass head and  an equipment dolly from Tull. Shortly after that gig, the flute player and I joined the band. We did a boatload of Tull stuff. Nice stuff when you have a great flute player. To be honest, I limped through a lot of the bass lines. I was around 18-19 at the time and a lot of that stuff was stretch for me.
Rick

jmcgliss

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 07:11:36 AM »
Bach was always ripping other people off, look at that G String thing he took off Jacques Loussier.
This would seem to indicate some sort of time machine, where the composer travelled back in time with advanced skills and knowledge of contemporary music to compose those pieces. What, you've never seen "Bach to the Future"?  <sorry>

As for Bouree, the feel is a fine study in how the bass moves a tune. Fluid vs blocky, swing vs four-on-the-floor, airy vs. saturated.  30-40 years ago it seemed more common for bands to throw tunes like this into a set, whereas now everything is power chords and everybody playing on every beat.
The older I get the better I was   ;)
RD Artist w/ Victory headstock (sold)
2009 Epiphone Thunderbird IV silverburst (mods pending)
2005 Lakland Decade Dark Star | 2009 55-02 Chi-Sonic
2005 Dark Star P-Bass | 1986 Pedulla Buzz |
Eden heads with various 12's and 10's | Ampeg B-15N

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 01:59:43 PM »
Not only did I play that tune back in the day, but I played it on Tulls bassplayers 200 watt Sunn head several times. The band I was with opened up for Tull and Spirit before I joined them, and by accident, they wound up with a Sunn bass head and  an equipment dolly from Tull. Shortly after that gig, the flute player and I joined the band. We did a boatload of Tull stuff. Nice stuff when you have a great flute player. To be honest, I limped through a lot of the bass lines. I was around 18-19 at the time and a lot of that stuff was stretch for me.
Rick

That's pretty neat, Rick! Have you tried playing it since those days?

As for Bouree, the feel is a fine study in how the bass moves a tune. Fluid vs blocky, swing vs four-on-the-floor, airy vs. saturated.  30-40 years ago it seemed more common for bands to throw tunes like this into a set, whereas now everything is power chords and everybody playing on every beat.
The older I get the better I was   ;)

One of my tattoo artist friends told me that a lot of tattoo artists don't understand the value of empty space, so it sounds like the same can be applied to music.

Clocks.

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 04:45:22 PM »
This would seem to indicate some sort of time machine, where the composer travelled back in time with advanced skills and knowledge of contemporary music to compose those pieces. What, you've never seen "Bach to the Future"?  <sorry>

There's a UK sitcom called "Goodnight Sweetheart" where the hero goes back in time from now-ish to 1940s wartime London, and starts making a living as a song writer, using Beatles tunes. At some point I expect he'll come back to the present and sue Paul McCartney for plagiarism. Or maybe he has, I don't like it enough to watch.

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 04:46:19 PM »

The guy nailed it beautifully!

I play some of the bass parts & then take the lead then trip out a bit & bastardize Serenade To A Cuckoo & then come back to Bouree & end it.  :P

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 06:14:10 AM »
That's pretty neat, Rick! Have you tried playing it since those days?

It's been a long time. Back in those days , we had a flute player who was absolutely the star of the show. He  was the prize student of  jazz man Jeremy Stieg , whom he studied under for a year or so . He was head and shoulders beyond anyone else in the band and I was very fortunate to have an opportunity to play with someone of that caliber at  the ripe old age of 18-19. Hell , it's a priviledge to play with someone of that caliber at any freakin' age ;)
Rick

Basshappi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 04:53:52 PM »
Played it for an audition once, I always loved the tune and had figured it out not long after I first started playing bass, so the audition was pretty easy. Unfortunately the band ended up going nowhere so I've never had the opprotunity to play it live.

I haven't played it for many years but everytime I watch Tull's "Living With The Past" I think "I should try that tune again" :D
Nothing is what it seems but everthing is exactly what it is.