Author Topic: Vinyl record story  (Read 9777 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Vinyl record story
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2010, 04:12:47 AM »
"Butt Hole Surfers..."  ;D

How may of you do long distance driving, where you may spend more than 2/3rds of your working day on the road, the majority of which in a van, at speeds in excess of 50MPH...?

It honestly makes no difference what format it is - just skip the quiet songs as there is no point in trying to listen, and over here it is an offence to drive with earphones (as the pigs police officers will think you are using a mobile phone, Heaven forbid... :o)

(ps - I'm hands free -  I never touch the wheel when I'm calling someone...  ;D)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2010, 06:39:48 AM »
Beans,Beans the musical fruit. the more you eat the more you toot.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2010, 08:41:08 AM »
old bumper sticker... "TOOT IF YOU SEE A DELOREAN"
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2010, 08:50:56 AM »
What exactly is this anal music?

Certainly not Push Push (In The Bush) by Musique, although I have that on 45 somewhere.  And I prefer that, although I suspect that others might think of Sylvester discs first.  Or Judas Priest.  Nevertheless, and all the more, it's all good baby.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2010, 10:29:50 AM »
What exactly is this anal music?

I'm thinkin' it's music that gets yer booty movin'.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2010, 05:15:24 PM »
Ken, I agree to a large degree with the quality of sound required while driving. A bit depends on how quiet the car/truck you drive is still. I love to listen to music in my misic room which has a set of Duntech speakers. If the recording is less than good quality these speakers show up every damn flaw or fault and make some albums un-listenable. As you can imagine I only play certain albums through them but they make awesome reference speakers. One of my favourite albums from a production point of view is Grace by Jeff Buckley. It is "the" album I use as a reference point when listening to a new system or tuning a PA.
I have converted a couple of tracks from this album to different bitrate mp3's to see if I can hear the difference. Just for my own amusment I added them in random order and tried to pick which was best through to which was worst.
The AIFF file was so blatantly obvious compared to the rest (which seemed to vary suprisingly) that I now have a less than appreciative attitude to mp3's.

I'm sure Al's very eloquent and easy to understand description of the compression process is correct "Technically", but for me, the ears dont lie.
Digresion our specialty!

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2010, 05:37:38 PM »
I know where you're coming from, I will never sell a mint Japanese copy of Neil Young's "Time Fades Away" for similar reasons, same reason I keep "At Filmore East", and GFR's "Live Album", a few quads (for the mixes), and quite a few others...

I'd love to have a quality system and I don't forget that your an "old pro..."  ;D

btw - the van's a Vito, it's not that quiet, and the stereo isn't loud enough...  :sad:

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2010, 07:59:22 PM »
it's kinda funny, i customized all the settings on my Itunes and made up my own genres. one of which is called "Butthole" it has the bands......butthole surfers,cavity,really red,exit condition,the fartz,rocket from the crypt,husker du and turbo negro.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2010, 09:18:29 PM »
Don't you have any Electric Prunes tracks?

Hornisse

« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2010, 09:41:54 PM »
I've got the Too Much To Dream and Mass In F Minor LP's by the Prunes.  On Reprise records.

Ken, my '77 AMC Hornet has an AM radio and no factory A/C.  It also has no power brakes but does have the front disc brake option.  You really have to stand on it to get it stopped.  Luckily I can pick up KONO in San Antonio at night and listen to some cool oldies while cruising.  I don't take her on the highway anymore.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2010, 10:16:19 PM »
I've got the Too Much To Dream and Mass In F Minor LP's by the Prunes.  On Reprise records.

I have the Stockholm album. But I can't offer you a copy because it's @ 256kbps mp3.  ;D

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2010, 07:08:25 AM »
Ken, my '77 AMC Hornet has an AM radio and no factory A/C.

My van has aircon... open the window - drive faster...  ;D

Bryan... you should have a Star Trek soundtrack in there ("To Boldly Go Where No-One Has Gone Before")

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2010, 10:46:33 AM »
My van has aircon... open the window - drive faster...  ;D

That's what Justin Wilson (Cajun humorist/chef) called 475 air conditioning... four windows down, driving 75 mph.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2010, 11:56:36 AM »
That's what Justin Wilson (Cajun humorist/chef) called 475 air conditioning... four windows down, driving 75 mph.

Justin Wilson was awesome! "A little wine for the dish, a little wine for the cook. A little MORE wine for the dish, a little MORE wine for the cook. HMMMMMM MM!"

Regarding vinyl and music, I'm listening to Budgie while working on a project. It's grown on me quickly!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2010, 12:32:07 PM »
Is this going phallic?