Author Topic: A new challenge  (Read 52218 times)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
A new challenge
« on: December 10, 2009, 02:08:01 PM »
Last summer I took up an old plan of mine to see if I could build my own bass. I have no experience whatsoever on the craft of lutherie.
So I looked around if there was some sort of course I could join. And there happened to be one only a few miles from where I live.

So I started drawing and sketching the ideas I had.
It is going to based on my favorite bass. But it has to be different, because I don't need another bass that is the same.  ;D

So this is what I came up with:

- Shortscale bass shaped like a Les Paul (surprise)  ;)
- Mahogany body with a contoured bookmatched flamed maple top.
- To save some weight, the upper bout of the body is chambered and there is a Rickenbacker-ish F-hole.
- Mahogany neck with a volute at the topnut.
- The truss rod will be accesible by unscrewing the two 24th fretmarkers and lifting the last two positions of the fretboard.

- At the neck there will be two G3 single coils.
- At the bridge there is going to be an Artec AlNiCO mudbucker.

- At the upper horn I've planned a 6 way rotary switch that allows me to choose:
• neck G3 pickup,
• middle G3 pickup,
• both G3's as humbucker,
• bridge Artec pickup,
• neck G3 pickup plus bridge Artec pickup,
• all 3 pickups.

- On the top side I will have one volume potmeter.
- On the back side I'm going to make a small hole in the control cavity plate that allows me to dial a hidden tone potmeter with a small screwdriver if desired. I will probably not use it very often. And I'd like to keep the top side clean.

- The bridge is a BaCHbird bridge with saddles notched at 17,5 mm stringspacing
I bought a tune-o-matic for bass first, but that one had the saddles spaced at 19mm (which I think is too wide for shortscale)

- And behind the bridge the stings are going to be anchored string through body. Because I always use heavy gauge strings on short scale basses, I made the distance on the E and A string ferrules a bit longer. This way I don't have any trouble with too thick string at the stringposts.

- The tuners are light weight Gotoh Res-O-Lites, with wide string posts.

It is going to be a very educational journey for me. And a few good lessons in patience (which is not my strongest point)  :-[
The course is only once in every two weeks. And most of the time I have to wait because the tutor is helping some other guy.

Here's the thick log of mahogany that I cut out with the router using an MDF template that I made.
Plus a small beam of mahogany for the neck. I cut it with a sawbench from a big 30 year old log. You can see the blade ran hot... :o

Here's the body with the chamber in the upper bout where the F-hole will be.
Plus the rosewood fretboard. You can see I have yet to cut the last two fret slots.

Here's the bookmatched maple glued together and roughly cut, ready to glue upon the mahogany.
I found the beautiful bookmatched pair at www.northridgehardwoods.com
Plus the fretboard cut to short scale (by cutting it off at the second fret)

The pickups. The G3 pickups were bought from Greatdealz at Ebay. Originally I had in mind to turn them into a Thunderbird humbucker for the BaCHbird. But I never could bring myself to destroy these perfect NOS pickups. :-\
The AlNiCo mudbucker is an Artec. About a year ago a few guys on a Dutch forum got together and ordered a whole bunch of pickups straight from mr Sy Suk of the Artec Company. So I joined in, not knowing where to put it. But now I have a destination for this thing. I got the idea from that cheap-ass Stagg EB0 copy we discussed a while ago. They had the mudbucker straight at the bridge. Which is a bit too much. You only get "ploppy" sounds there. But I'm guessing a centimeter or two from the bridge should work just fine.

The tuners. Gotoh Res-O-Lites. Kinda hard to find for a non-retailer like me. I eventually found them at a luthier from Slovakia www.sollerguitars.com
They are extremely light weight. I really prefer those over the small post Schaller tuners that Les Paul have usually have.  Stringing extra heavy gauge long scale
strings on a shortscale bass can be a pita. Hence the wide stringpost tuners.

The wrong bridge. A tune-o-matic style bridge for bass. Sold on Ebay as Les Paul bridge. A fine bridge really, but no use for this project because the string spacing is too wide.

The body and top glued together and routed flush.
In the back the scarfed beam that will become the neck

This project is going very s-l-o-w-l-y. And I have a long way to go.
But I will try to keep y'all updated if I make any progress.
For me this certainly is a great new hobby I found. I really like to spend hours and hours figuring out how to get it right. And to find the right components from all over the world.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: A new challenge
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 02:49:47 PM »
Wow, Rob... that's going to be a NICE bass! I love that so many people here are building. I won't be one of them for a while, but it's very inspiring to see these beautiful basses come into being. Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to see how it progresses!

Iome

• Born to rock..forced to work
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 02:55:52 PM »
Nice Rob, that looks very nice. Be patient, i know how your feeling, i'm still workin on my Fbird and each time i work on it i just can't wait to finish it.
When i finish this one i'll start working on a Les paul too, i just love that shape

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 03:25:11 PM »
Rob, looking great!  Your kids must be getting older for you to have the time to do something like this :-)
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 03:41:03 PM »
Very nice looking project Rob. Goodluck with it, I wish I had the patience, skill and time to attempt some of the concepts that are created by members of this forum.
Digresion our specialty!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 03:53:36 PM »
Very nice. It's ambitious for a first project, but it looks like you've done very well. It's nice to be able to get hands-on instruction in a class.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 05:20:48 PM »
Great work ! Very cool concept. I can't wait to see it done !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 05:37:14 PM »
That's going to be nice indeed!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

birdie

• Trying hard to be the person my dog thinks I am.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 08:22:39 PM »
Congratulations on starting this bass! I began a luthier course here in Austin 2 weeks ago, which consists of a one-on -one,   hands-on build of an archtop guitar. Having a great time and learning lots. Should have done this years ago!
Of course i wont walk out a luthier, but i will walk out having a hell of a jump start, as opposed to trying to learn on my own.
Fleet Guitars

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 08:34:19 PM »
That is really cool!  Looking good so far, and I look forward to seeing it progress.

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 08:42:26 PM »
Very cool, Rob!

Post your pics here too, birdie, as yours progresses!!

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 10:16:09 PM »
What a cool project! Can't wait to see more progress shots.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

bassvirtuoso

• My God, it's full of chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 10:32:56 PM »
Very cool ideas! I wish I had asked my father to teach me his woodworking skills.
-Dave

German-American Chrome Fan Club Member #666

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2009, 12:55:11 AM »
Nice project Rob! You're really building something different here!

One thing about the G-3 pickups: they aren't a rw/rp set, so if you wire them in series you will have hum.
I don't know if it is possible to disassemble one of them to flip the magnet and invert the leads to make them a rw/rp set.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2009, 01:16:52 AM »
Thank you guys.
@ exiledarchangel: When I bought them from Greatdealz, I explained my (initial) plan to turn them into a humbucker. So he sent me a reverse w/reverse polarity set. I tried it on my BaCH tele. No hum.
Check this older thread:
http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=125.msg1736#msg1736

@ Aussie Mark: one of the reasons this project is going so slowly, is that I only have the evening hours when the boys are off to bed.
Plus I don't dare to go too far into territory unknown for me. So I have to wait two weeks if I'm not sure about something.

@ Dave: yeah I know it's kind of ambitious. I know there will be mistakes and disappointments. But so far so good ;)