Author Topic: Anyone here have a Highway 1 Jazz?  (Read 1690 times)

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Anyone here have a Highway 1 Jazz?
« on: December 03, 2009, 11:09:06 PM »
I may get one in a trade deal and I'm looking for opinions. This one's an early model with the thin lacquer finish and no graphite in the neck. Are these U.S. made as well? Looks like the truss rod adjustment is at the headstock, where later ones have it at the heel. This one's also got an added Badass 2 and a replaced bridge pickup (SD), though the original is included. Do these early ones have the alnico pickups, too? If you have one, how does it sound? Are these keepers?

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Anyone here have a Highway 1 Jazz?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 07:46:24 AM »
I don't own one But I have played then in the shops. Well made for the most part. I like how the thin finish makes the alder bodies resonate but I find the colors  a bit lack luster, the sunburst inparticular. I don't care for the graphite stiffining rods in the necks they make the necks to stiff imho, my MIA '08 Jazz had those in the neck and I swapped the neck out for a road worn I like much better. I like Badass bridges so no complaints there. These seemed to sit in the shops, I though they were a little over priced. I think if you get a good deal on it it is worth getting. I'd leave the SD pup i there !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 08:58:34 AM »
I thought real early ones of these used MIM necks and PUPs, and were assembled in the USA...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 10:11:21 AM »
I thought real early ones of these used MIM necks and PUPs, and were assembled in the USA...

No. These have always been made in USA, not just assembled in USA. All bodies and necks were always manufactured in Corona. I believe some did have the same tuners as MIM classic models but those tuners weren't made in Mexico or the US anyway.

luve2fli

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 12:58:52 PM »
Dave is correct, fully MIA although the tuners are definitely of the "Standard" variety.

I've owned an early J and P. Both were very good instruments. Better than the Mexi stuff, on par with their Japanese counterparts (construction and tone-wise, not referring to the finish here), not as good as a true MIA. My issue with both of them was that they mojo a little too quickly. Breath on the damn things and the finish comes off. Tone-wise, the pickups were great. I don't understand why you'd want to replace a stock Fender with an SD but hey, to each their own.

I wouldn't call them keepers but they're good basses. I actually offed my HWY1 P in favour of a Japanese '62 reissue and the J went to finance a couple of the Squier "Vibe" series.

Get the bass and try it out - if you don't like it, you won't have a problem selling it, that's for sure.
"I think it's only proper that I play until the last note of a set, then fall over and die. The band won't have to play an encore and they'll still get paid for the gig" (Dr. John)

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 01:58:03 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I'm interested in seeing how it sounds. I'm sure it'll feel great because I love Jazz necks. I've sold almost all the basses I put up so I may not need to flip this. I'll post a report when it comes in.

It's the one with the tort guard on the left (belongs to Dave - bassvirtuoso).

bassvirtuoso

• My God, it's full of chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 02:09:25 PM »
Tone-wise, the pickups were great. I don't understand why you'd want to replace a stock Fender with an SD but hey, to each their own.

Bought the bass when I was 15 and I didn't know any better.  :mrgreen: As much as I used and loved the neck pickup, I'm not sure why I had it replaced!

This is the early model, thin lacquer finish, no graphite. Tuners have always held for me, but they do seem cheaper. I love the lacquer finish, this bass has the best resonance of any bass I've owned.
-Dave

German-American Chrome Fan Club Member #666