Author Topic: Dio diagnosed with cancer...  (Read 2165 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Dio diagnosed with cancer...
« on: November 29, 2009, 04:39:47 PM »
Spotted this last week but as I was away working over the weekend, didn't have the time to post...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8380305.stm

Early stages, but I'm wishing him well...

Saw him as far back as his Rainbow days...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

nofi

Re: Dio diagnosed with cancer...
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 05:45:02 PM »
i know what he is going through and wish him well and a speedy recovery. :sad:

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 06:06:26 PM »
Crap. I wish him well.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

pbassplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 09:55:45 PM »
dio is originally from cortland in the central ny area and was heavily involved in the music scene here before he hit the big time.he's been at it since the early 60s

he is a guy who always gave it more than 100 %

i wish  him well

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 04:53:08 AM »
I've seen him numerous times with Rainbow, with Sabbath, his own band and guesting with Roger Glover singing Butterfly Ball songs when DP restaged the Concerto again. While I think he has unecessarily limited his style ever since he left Elf (I really like those last two Elf Albums) he was never anything less than a consumate performer at any gig I saw, very disciplined and devoted to his work, kind of like Alice Cooper in that respect. I hear that it is early stages and that it is one of those cancers where you have a good chance. Plus Dio is no young man anymore, so cancer cell growth should be effectively restrained soon. I wish him the best, he gave a great performance on that last Heaven & Hell album.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 09:20:34 AM »

I wish him well, both my parents had cancer - my mother beat it, my father didn't.

I RJD with Elf opening for Deep Purple on the Stormbringer tour, pleasant memories there!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 09:41:22 AM »
I read about this the other day on another forum. I've always thought RJD seemed like a great guy (as long as you're on his good side). :) I wish him the best. I've read that he's promising to slay this dragon, too. Good on him!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 09:42:57 AM »
He was always known to love the hottest food imaginable, I remember an interview where he quipped: "good chili always burns twice". Wonder if that might have something to do with his stomach cancer.

In any case, I hope he won't be going to The Temple of the King prematurely.

Hoping for a happy outcome:

« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 09:48:59 AM by uwe »

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 01:23:39 PM »
He was always known to love the hottest food imaginable, I remember an interview where he quipped: "good chili always burns twice". Wonder if that might have something to do with his stomach cancer.

I'm doomed... :o

Not willing to trivialise something like this as I lost both my parents to the "BIG C", so I thought I'd do a bit of research...

This is from a BUPA site...
http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/html/stomach_cancer.html

Causes
No one knows why some people develop stomach cancer and others don't. The number of people affected varies widely between different countries. For example, stomach cancer is far more common in Japan than in the UK. There is also evidence that people from poorer backgrounds are at increased risk.

There are a many other factors that increase the risk of developing stomach cancer.

Age. Stomach cancer is most common around the age of 60. It's rare under the age of 40.
Gender. Men are around twice as likely to develop stomach cancer as women. Helicobacter pylori infection. These bacteria live in the stomach lining of many people, and don't usually cause any symptoms. However, the infection sometimes causes inflammation of the stomach lining (gastritis), indigestion and stomach ulcers. It is known to increase the risk of stomach cancer.
Diet. A diet high in salt and foods that are smoked or cured may increase the risk of stomach cancer. In particular, certain food preservative chemicals known as nitrosamines, which are found cured meats such as bacon and ham, may increase your chance of developing stomach cancer.
Family history. Some people inherit an increased risk of developing stomach cancer.
Type A blood group. Some research indicates that people who have type A blood are at higher risk of developing stomach cancer.
Smoking. When you smoke, you swallow small amounts of tobacco smoke, which increases your risk of getting stomach cancer.
Atrophic gastritis. This condition causes the lining of the stomach to waste away. It has also been linked with an increased risk of stomach cancer.
Pernicious anaemia. This is type of anaemia
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

pamlicojack

• View Profile

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 07:47:10 PM »
I highly recommend these two sites:
http://www.padavona.com/mp3.html
(old Dio audio clips page)
and...
http://alum.wpi.edu/~geezer/dio.html
 ;D ;D
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 04:15:52 AM »
Interesting stuff, especially about the loincloth/assless chaps man on bass for an Elf reunion!!! Well, Joey certainly isn't too tall.