Author Topic: Feral camels siege outback town  (Read 4762 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Feral camels siege outback town
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2009, 05:06:52 PM »
"It is not even the concept of displacing an ethnic minority, but more to the brutality in which it was accomplished."

In the US, the words "Sand Creek" come to mind.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sand_Creek_massacre
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2009, 08:12:32 AM »
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2009, 08:50:27 AM »
Bunch of lies, that wasn't in the Disney movie at all!

And how unromantic is that:

"The only way to maintain peace between the Indians and the English, Rolfe stated, was to marry Pocahontas, not “with the unbridled desire of carnal affection but for the good of the colony and the glory of God. Such a marriage might bring peace between the warring English and Indians, just as it would satisfy Pocahontas’s desire."

I know love when I see it:

Sucker I am, I actually liked the Disney version. That and The Hunchback are my favorite nineties ones.

And what was wrong with this John Rolfe guy anyway (huh, didn't she love John Smith, the Captain?) that he didn't have "unbridled desire of carnal affection" for her? Those Brits ...

Poca-babe did alright in my book:

Uwe
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 09:00:56 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2009, 01:43:51 PM »
Shame much of her life was so far from the truth...

She lived at one time in Brentford in West London (NOT A JOKE - TRUTH) - I was born within a couple of minutes walk from where Pocahontas and Rolfe lived) and is buried in Gravesend in Kent, not that far from here, been there a few times...

They (native Americans) have tried to have her returned to the Americas a number of times... There is one problem... they are not 100% sure of where in St George's Church graveyard she is buried...

this is a portrait of her painted in Elizabethan times...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2009, 04:57:24 PM »
Update:

Masses of rotting camels are littering thousands of sacred Indigenous sites across outback Australia.

The past few weeks have seen a focus on damage caused by a plague of camels in the Northern Territory's Docker River community, with an aerial cull of 3,000 to be carried out in the next fortnight.

But perishing camels and their remains are already causing equally significant harm - both culturally and environmentally - to important Indigenous locations in the cross border region of Western Australia, south-west Northern Territory and north-west South Australia.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/12/03/2760546.htm

Digresion our specialty!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2009, 02:09:46 AM »
Have you yet imported spotted hyenas into Australia? Give it a try, I'm sure it will work out. Komodo dragons might be another fine idea.

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2009, 08:00:31 AM »
Time to genetically re-engineer the Tasmanian Tiger.

The Pocahontas cartoon is a nice concept.  I personally prefer the Playbrave club girls.  The Hikawi tribe seemed to have had the hottest indigenous ladies.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2009, 10:03:50 AM »
"Hekawi not fighters! Hekawi lovers!"

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2009, 03:07:49 PM »
"Hekawi not fighters! Hekawi lovers!"

That reminds me of a short dialogue in the 1966 movie Texas Across The River between Dean Martin and Joey Bishop (playing Kronk the indian, in an episode of miscasting seldom equalled) while under fire from a group of Comanches:

"Why weren't you born a Comanche?"
"Mother run too fast!"

Incidentally, the movie is a hoot! 
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2009, 06:16:29 PM »

<-------- time for a new avatar

That reminds me of a short dialogue in the 1966 movie Texas Across The River between Dean Martin and Joey Bishop (playing Kronk the indian, in an episode of miscasting seldom equalled) while under fire from a group of Comanches:

"Why weren't you born a Comanche?"
"Mother run too fast!"

Incidentally, the movie is a hoot!  

I remember the movie because of the girl I saw it with (at a drive-in). Didn't pay much attention to the movie.

IMO Joey Bishop as the Indian was deliberate miscasting.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2009, 06:31:03 PM »

I remember the movie because of the girl I saw it with (at a drive-in). Didn't pay much attention to the movie.

IMO Joey Bishop as the Indian was deliberate miscasting.

Absolutely!  Casting Bishop was part of the humor of the movie.  FUNNY movie, too.