Author Topic: Squier Telebass  (Read 1339 times)

patman

• View Profile
Squier Telebass
« on: November 20, 2009, 08:58:08 AM »
Well...not finding any 5 string basses that are even remotely "me" (old school)

Thinking of maybe stringing a Squier Tele BEAD (always wanted a Tele in the 70's)...

Would a typical "B" string go through the body without modification?

Is the quality of these things up to gigging? (remember my main basses are Danos)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Squier Telebass
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 02:31:12 PM »
 I think you will find the Squier up to gigging and then some. I built a  Fenderbird and strung it BEAD to do some modern stuff that required it, thankfully we are no longer doing "modern stuff". What you are planning should work I just don't know if the B string will fit through the hole. Btw you will have to re cut your nut :o
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 02:44:05 PM »
Modern country music is precisely what is driving this.  Do you find yourself reaching for the low strung instrument a lot, or is this going to be just a one or two song a night kind of thing. i.e. is it a gimmick, or is it something I'm likely to use for a whole set?

« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 02:58:14 PM by patman »

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 03:43:40 PM »
IIRC, Scott traded on...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 04:52:39 PM »
Modern country music is precisely what is driving this.  Do you find yourself reaching for the low strung instrument a lot, or is this going to be just a one or two song a night kind of thing. i.e. is it a gimmick, or is it something I'm likely to use for a whole set?

For me I used it for a couple of songs a night, it worked great but it just wasn't my thing I was very happy when we dropped the 'new " stuff. I tried shopping for a fiver and it just made me depressed, I can play it but i don't feel it. Hope this works out for you, just not my thing.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird