Author Topic: Next Song Syndrome  (Read 624 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Next Song Syndrome
« on: November 09, 2009, 02:21:49 PM »
I've never heard of the author before, just saw this article linked at another blog: Next Song Syndrome

If this is a "syndrome" then I have it too, even on my iTunes playlists. Anyone else?

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Next Song Syndrome
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 05:59:53 PM »
I originally bought Billion Dollar Babies on tape when it came out... played it to absolute death and back... the last tracks  on each side are reversed to those on the vinyl release... still throws me, even though I now have the "deluxe" cd, which now lives on the ipod... 36 years... wow, don't they just fly by...

I was loaned a copy of "Fumblin Towards Exctasy" (still one of my favourite recordings, and not ashamed to say so) which was eventually gifted, which I taped and loop-played, but I transposed the "bonus" track - Joni Mitchell's "Blue" to the beginning, and cut the air between the end and the hidden piano only version of "Possession"... sounds so wrong any other way...

There are numerous others...

I can not get over my embarrasment at calling "Little Wing" a Derek & the Dominoes song, when talking to the late SRV about the set I had just watched him play at Reading in '83 ("... Hendrix wrote that..." he corrected, said with a broad smile - what a loss), but it is that version I heard first, and it just sticks with me...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

jmcgliss

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 10:54:48 PM »
I make the mistake of leaving my music player in All Tracks mode, so the next song can sometimes be a jarring disconnect from what I started listening to.  If the honeymoon wasn't over I'd probably be more careful with transitional moments :-[
RD Artist w/ Victory headstock (sold)
2009 Epiphone Thunderbird IV silverburst (mods pending)
2005 Lakland Decade Dark Star | 2009 55-02 Chi-Sonic
2005 Dark Star P-Bass | 1986 Pedulla Buzz |
Eden heads with various 12's and 10's | Ampeg B-15N

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 12:30:05 AM »
If this is a "syndrome" then I have it too, even on my iTunes playlists. Anyone else?

Count me in. I had a few albums I always listened to side 2 first and when I got them on CD it took years before I was comfortable listening to those songs in the 'wrong' order.

The first few that come to mind:

Head First, The Babys
Hey Jude, The Beatles
Dire Straits' first
and
Led Zeppelin IV

The Beatles CDs took some getting used to for me when they were first released (except for Rubber Soul and Help, which I only had on a cassette and which were recorded from the UK releases). Years later when Capitol released the US versions on CD I went out and got them only to find that after almost 20 years of listening to the UK releases, now they sounded wrong! I think I listened to them once and then never went back...