Author Topic: very nice sunburst RD Artist with added humour from seller  (Read 2760 times)

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
very nice sunburst RD Artist with added humour from seller
« on: October 14, 2009, 06:16:47 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140352414940&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

The finish on this guitar shows that it has been played often, or at least, held a lot.  The fretboard does not show much wear at all so maybe this was used by the bass player who was the singer and only had to hold the guitar.

Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: very nice sunburst RD Artist with added humour from seller
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 06:55:33 PM »

Outside of a Thunderbird..................

Want one done up just like that, they're SO COOL!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 07:08:58 PM »
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 09:57:25 PM »
Seller has a sense of humor, and a setup by McInturff is a good thing. Price seems high, though I really haven't checked what these have been going for.

EvilLordJuju

• Mud is its own reward
    • View Profile
    • Fly Guitars
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 05:51:19 AM »
Price seems high, though I really haven't checked what these have been going for.

These seem to be holding their value\going up more than other Gibson basses. I get a lot of emails trying to prize mine away from me.... but that does seem steep

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 09:20:04 AM »
The new VG Price Guide is suppose to hit the bookstores today, it will be interesting to see how the current economic environment will effect the values of our collections. My RD Artist is about the heaviest bass I've ever had. One origional LP Bass that I picked up in a store once was the only Gibson bass that seemed heavier to me.
An Ovation Bass that was floating around a few years ago seemed to have been the heavyweight champion.  :-\
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 03:39:28 PM »
Didn't know you had one, Jules... which one do you have...? I know John and Uwe (multiply) have them (and Grog, now)... (anyone else?)

That one has those Gawdawful multi-leaf switches, which are nothing but baaad news (IMO), and the wear on the fin of the body shows exactly the reason I modded mine in that area...

Must say that she looks a real beaut' though... mine will be up for refinning once I've finished my PC rebuild, but probably not during the winter months...

IIRC, Uwe says the Victory is heavier than the RD, by a pound or 2... Denis was on about the "longest" bass... what tops an Ovation...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 04:43:31 PM »
Overpriced. I payed less for my CMT one which was pristine. We all agreed that 2.000 bucks were just barely acceptable for a closet-kept late run CMT Artist that still had the foil on its pickguard.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 02:46:45 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

EvilLordJuju

• Mud is its own reward
    • View Profile
    • Fly Guitars
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 05:06:25 PM »
Didn't know you had one, Jules... which one do you have...?

i've got a 1978 ebony (no photos though), and a 1981 CMT. I recently swapped my 1978 ketchup and mustard for an old Vox Mark VI special...

I love RDs. Not retro enough for my current band, so they don't get out much, but they were my bass of choice when I was doing my hip hop thing (if anyone remembers my track on the dudepit CD)

You'll have to come and try them....

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 05:11:21 PM »
I think it was a late 70's Ovation Magnum that made my RD feel light.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 12:21:31 PM »
What is the weight of one of those beasties. Grog...?

May well have to make arrangements do a trip up the M1 at some point, Jules...  still curious to try a 20/20...  ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 04:46:03 PM »
I never had an Ovation Magnum, just tried it several times as it showed up in local stores.

nofi

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2009, 07:45:26 AM »
people who list an opening bid of what they actually want for the bass are missing the point many times. by having a reasonable reserve you will be assured that you get at least the minimum amount you require. in the vintage world these days you may get more. high opening bids or insane bin prices just scare potential bidders away. imo. of course many of these folks are dilusional but that can't be helped. ;)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2009, 07:59:00 AM »
people who list an opening bid of what they actually want for the bass are missing the point many times. by having a reasonable reserve you will be assured that you get at least the minimum amount you require. in the vintage world these days you may get more. high opening bids or insane bin prices just scare potential bidders away. imo. of course many of these folks are dilusional but that can't be helped. ;)

I agree in all respects.  The function and psychology of an online auction is a bit different than that of one conducted in person.  You have to set up your merchandise in a way that works for the venue in which you're operating.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 09:56:34 AM »
Yep, I always set my my opeing bids very low - like $9.99 and I've never used a BIN and always set my reserve at what my minimum is.  I've also been careful to start my auctions on or slightly before a weekend and to always end them on a Saturday or Sunday evening at a reasonable hour.  I think that you draw people in and create interest - for the most part I've always exceeded my reserves.