Author Topic: Two odd things in 20 seconds...  (Read 5901 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Two odd things in 20 seconds...
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2009, 09:04:40 AM »
I wonder how many bands Down Under have had names that include the words: wombat, wallaby/wallabies, kangaroo/kangaroos, outback...and similar.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2009, 11:03:11 AM »
I remember hearing the name of a band called Platypus. I don't think they were from Oz though.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2009, 03:42:16 PM »
Aaaahhhh...! I get it... "Men At Work" busy scraping all that carnage off the highway...  ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2009, 05:15:56 PM »
gearhed289...I get it.  I was a member of Midwestern Council,....... Sorry for the mild hijack...the same gear head gene runs through car guys and bass players.

It's true. I also was a member of Midwestern Council (NSSCC). My brother and I Autocrossed '86 MR2s at Blackhawk and Gingerman. We both still own '86 MR2s. His still sporting damage from hitting the berm in the outfield at Gingerman.

jmcgliss

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2009, 05:53:19 PM »
No kidding...I autocrossed an '85 MR2 for years that I owned from 1986-2006. Ran at BFR from about 1995-2001. At times my MR2 transported a '69/'70 Jazz bass behind the seats and an Ampeg B15N.
RD Artist w/ Victory headstock (sold)
2009 Epiphone Thunderbird IV silverburst (mods pending)
2005 Lakland Decade Dark Star | 2009 55-02 Chi-Sonic
2005 Dark Star P-Bass | 1986 Pedulla Buzz |
Eden heads with various 12's and 10's | Ampeg B-15N

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2009, 06:46:02 PM »
I'm guessing 1993 was about the last time I ran Blackhawk. My brother was there last weekend with his F2000.

I moved to Ohio, but still go to Illinois to play bass sometimes. Before I had a van I did actually make the trip to Illinois with my Rickenbacker bass, MM HD130 head and Carvin RL115 cabinet in the MR2. How did it all fit? I left the passenger seat at home ;D

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2009, 07:25:12 PM »

Wombats, wallbies, emus, kangaroos.....  You got me beat - we just have to dodge skunks, 'possums, armadillos and a few rabbits ;D

I haven't bothered mentioning the rabbits, possums and foxes because they dont really make a dent, just a kind of ...barump! kind of sound.

I wonder how many bands Down Under have had names that include the words: wombat, wallaby/wallabies, kangaroo/kangaroos, outback...and similar.

I had a bunch of mate that were in The Wally Wombat band.  The Dingoes were a country influenced rock band from the 70's.

Digresion our specialty!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2009, 07:56:26 AM »
No kidding...I autocrossed an '85 MR2 for years that I owned from 1986-2006. Ran at BFR from about 1995-2001. At times my MR2 transported a '69/'70 Jazz bass behind the seats and an Ampeg B15N.

The big auto-X courses at Texas A&M's old air base were usually set up at the X where the old runways crossed.  There were some long runs and slaloms there.  My 280ZX turbo did well on the straights and anywhere I could keep boost up, but the MR2 contingent ate me alive on the tight corners.  Those little suckers really handle...and I always ran Dunlop D60A2 street tires.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2009, 08:07:54 AM »
there's a local band here called Wombat in Combat. kinda silly. also when i was a kid i remenber my dad running over a snake in Virginia. not much bump but it made a mess on his lt. blue beamer
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2009, 02:02:41 PM »
one for the Texan's...

Present (temp) outfit used to do a fun song called "Armadillo, on my Pillow"... someone "knicked" the title and wrote a kids book...

... forgot to add, we did the song for the drummer's 50th, and then the guitarist (it is his song, mostly) refused to play it, "ever again, and if you ever mention it, I'll sell all my gear again..." Probably the bands best number, usually reserved fo encores; yes, it was a novelty item, but it worked, even down to the (original) 3 part harmonies...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 02:08:49 PM by Kenny Five-O »
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2009, 05:30:12 PM »
Snakes are a weird one.  We have heaps of snakes here but you see very few on the roads unless you travel long distances through the country. Certainly none on a cold winters night like the hills have been recently.

I've never seen an armadillo (they look interesting) we sometimes get Echidnas on the roads, I've only ever run 2 over though.

Uwe! do I need to start a Road Kill thread?  ;)
Digresion our specialty!

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2009, 06:27:44 PM »
I'm guessing 1993 was about the last time I ran Blackhawk. My brother was there last weekend with his F2000.

Apparently it is actually a Formula Continental:

Quote from: Fall Sprints 2009 - FC Press Release

Rockton, Il

Lessick Sweeps Blackhawk - Hat Trick Plus The Scarf

Well known Liberty Motorsports mechanic Chuck Lessick got behind the wheel and dominated the 2009 Falls Sprints this past weekend by nabbing four poles and four wins in two days. No one could come close to Lessick, who credits his win to his team manager and wife Jaqui, the only person who can keep Lessick's ascerbic wit and otherwise annoying presence in check.

Car development is also a factor. "We don't need no stinking engine brace," quipped Lessick. "We found 10 horsepower on the shaker rig and 200 lbs of downforce on the chassis dyno. It's not that I can drive or anything. Anyone who knows me knows that."

Jaqui would have none of that. "Engineeing, schmengineering. It's the Turkey Burgers."

The "ascerbic wit and otherwise annoying presence" runs in our family.

jmcgliss

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2009, 09:25:41 PM »
Chuck Lessick...Chuck Lessick...that name rings a bell (but my memory won't answer the door).  In the 21 years I owned my '85 AW11 the progressive mods just made it better and better.  I ended up with coil overs, a really sweet 20-valve 4-throttle silvertop motor that pulled to 8000rpm, battery relocation, brake upgrades, and different pad compounds front/rear.  MCSCC ran high speed open track autocross events on road courses...a total blast.
RD Artist w/ Victory headstock (sold)
2009 Epiphone Thunderbird IV silverburst (mods pending)
2005 Lakland Decade Dark Star | 2009 55-02 Chi-Sonic
2005 Dark Star P-Bass | 1986 Pedulla Buzz |
Eden heads with various 12's and 10's | Ampeg B-15N

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2009, 01:47:44 PM »
Roadkill thread...?

... Only if it's " gud-eatin' ", as my wife's late uncle used to say...

Don't get much veggie road-kill...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2009, 05:08:32 PM »
Ken, dont they have some crazy rule up in bonny Thistle land whereby you cant kill, cook and eat Pheasant without a permit unless you run it over in your car first?
Digresion our specialty!