Author Topic: Two odd things in 20 seconds...  (Read 5902 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Two odd things in 20 seconds...
« on: October 07, 2009, 08:36:44 AM »
Check the darevdevil seagull at 5 seconds...and the roll at 14 seconds.

What are the odds that a camera would capture those two rather unusual things in less than 20 seconds?

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: Two odd things in 20 seconds...
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 08:55:56 AM »
That bird!

jmcgliss

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 02:06:03 PM »
That's bizarre, for sure.  The seagull reminds me of two incidents.

My wife witnessed a hawk swooping down at our Mustang Cobra in talons-out attack mode at Watkins Glen, when I was driving in the early morning.  The car has color-shifting 'Mystic' paint from the factory that she thinks attracted the hawk's attention...like snake scales or something.

At Gingerman Raceway in Michigan we would be surprised by turtles crossing the track, usually at a critical apex point. They made quite a smelly smear. 
RD Artist w/ Victory headstock (sold)
2009 Epiphone Thunderbird IV silverburst (mods pending)
2005 Lakland Decade Dark Star | 2009 55-02 Chi-Sonic
2005 Dark Star P-Bass | 1986 Pedulla Buzz |
Eden heads with various 12's and 10's | Ampeg B-15N

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 05:01:47 PM »
"What flavour is it...?"
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 08:24:08 AM »

My wife witnessed a hawk swooping down at our Mustang Cobra in talons-out attack mode at Watkins Glen, when I was driving in the early morning.  The car has color-shifting 'Mystic' paint from the factory that she thinks attracted the hawk's attention...like snake scales or something.

At Gingerman Raceway in Michigan we would be surprised by turtles crossing the track, usually at a critical apex point. They made quite a smelly smear. 

Who do you drive with? NASA? SCCA? I've had my '08 Mustang out a couple of times with NASA at Road America and Autobahn in Joliet, IL.

jmcgliss

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 12:35:19 PM »
gearhed289...I get it.  I was a member of Midwestern Council, SAAC, and an instructor at Ford SVT open track events.  Road America, Watkins Glen, Gingerman, Autobahn, Blackhawk, IRP, etc.  Sorry for the mild hijack...the same gear head gene runs through car guys and bass players.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 05:23:05 PM »
...the same gear head gene runs through car guys and bass players.

I think you're right.  I've been through the Bondurant school, the Washington State Patrol Instructor's school, and spent as much time autocrossing as I could while at Texas A&M, where they had a whole WWII air base with runways on which to run autocrosses.  Before the TX World Speedway was improved and re-paved, the TAMU Sports Car Club used to rent it for a day every year and run it one car at a time.  My stock '83 280ZX Turbo was clocked at 112 MPH down the straight coming off the high-bank, but we came off the road race course onto turn 3 so we couldn't get a full run at the high bank.

Haven't had much chance to run since I moved to CO other than one afternoon at Second Creek raceway in Denver before it closed.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

jmcgliss

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 07:40:57 PM »
I think you're right.  I've been through the Bondurant school, the Washington State Patrol Instructor's school, and spent as much time autocrossing as I could while at Texas A&M, where they had a whole WWII air base with runways on which to run autocrosses.  Before the TX World Speedway was improved and re-paved, the TAMU Sports Car Club used to rent it for a day every year and run it one car at a time.  My stock '83 280ZX Turbo was clocked at 112 MPH down the straight coming off the high-bank, but we came off the road race course onto turn 3 so we couldn't get a full run at the high bank.

Haven't had much chance to run since I moved to CO other than one afternoon at Second Creek raceway in Denver before it closed.
OK, it's settled then.  That and the TBird / Subaru parallel universe.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 09:28:58 PM »
OK, it's settled then.  That and the TBird / Subaru parallel universe.

Yes. And the shed/squirrel continuum.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2009, 02:59:35 PM »

"All you need is nuts, la la la la laaa, all you need is nuts, la la la la laaa, all you need is nuts, nuts; nuts is all you need..."
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 03:05:25 PM »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 12:30:35 PM »
One of these days I'm going to get the chance to do this at a wedding:

Walk up to the dais and intone into the mike:

"A letter from Paul to Ringo, John and George:  All you need is love.  Love is all you need"

And then I'll return to my seat and sit down.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2009, 02:22:06 PM »
When I was very young I asked an uncle who was "giving away his daughter" what he was getting for her... so he used that comment in his speech and I "lived" with it for decades...

A great ambition, Al...  8)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2009, 03:52:50 PM »

The freeway through the hills down to town that I drive everyday usually has about 1 or 2 Koala's a week splatagated on it.
I'm so used to driving different ways home through the hills at 3am after gigs that I pretty much know where certain animals are likely to appear.
Millbrook = Emu's, (dont ever hit those bastards!, 50+ Kgs comin' at ya through your windscreen sucks bad. Front end takes out their legs and the body keeps coming.) Cudlee Creek = Wallabies.  I came around a corner at about 60kph a few weeks back and the little bugger was standing on the white line, he looked up as I went past and got a headache from my right rear bumber. They are hard to see because they are the same colour as the road. Kangaroos = most parts of the hills. The ones that piss me off the most are the damn Wombats out between the hills and the riverland. Low down to the ground and built like a brick sh*thouse. I have never hit one but have seen the damage that they do. I have however dodged quite a few in my time.

Digresion our specialty!

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2009, 06:23:04 PM »
Wombats, wallbies, emus, kangaroos.....  You got me beat - we just have to dodge skunks, 'possums, armadillos and a few rabbits ;D
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 03:51:03 PM by Lightyear »