Author Topic: The Phoenix... the restoration of a rare custom-made "Thunderbird"  (Read 58028 times)

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
Re: The Phoenix... the restoration of a rare custom-made "Thunderbird"
« Reply #150 on: March 14, 2010, 07:53:07 PM »
I like it.  I would perhaps consider something a touch more durable than nitro for the top coat though - nitro will will wear pretty fast on those pickup edges me thinks ;)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 15, 2010, 09:32:30 AM »
Any sugestions, Buzz (or anyone else)...? Poly...? (I know it's a dirty word in some quarters, but...)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #152 on: March 15, 2010, 09:40:05 AM »
I can't believe how good those pups look ! Any finish will wear, but poly should work fine.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 15, 2010, 09:53:20 AM »
Cheers Scott... anything tougher...? if not, that'll be what I get...

Today has been a good day, weather wise, and I'm off work for the day (on-call over the weekend) so I was hoping to get the nitro out and get started,; just waiting until the sun got round and onto the shed roof, to take the edge off the day...

Jackie came home from dropping Roshina at school... someone clipped her drivers mirror... took out the mirror, and the window...!
The only plus on the day has been the fact that I was home, so I could deal with it (clear up the mess in the car - luckily she was unhurt - needless to say, in rush-hour traffic, the other driver did not stop...)
They first told us (insurance glass co.) that the earliest we could get the window done was SUNDAY...!!!
We (politely) went ballistic, advising the insurers that, "how do you expect us to secure our vehicle until then...?" (our garage has been a storage area since we moved in... in '92...)
Present ETA is now b4 2000 today (crossed fingers)

Needless to say, not a lot of spraying done... in fact, none... oh well...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

saltymonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 15, 2010, 02:15:38 PM »
Any sugestions, Buzz (or anyone else)...? Poly...? (I know it's a dirty word in some quarters, but...)

What about a clear liquid epoxy resin like what is used in airplane and boat building. It would be a lot tougher than a standard poly or nitro finish.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 15, 2010, 07:16:26 PM »
I would think that solvent based poly might be a good compromise (solvent will give you some ambering).  I too thought about the two part epoxy stuff but it tends to be thick - like congealed snot and perhaps difficult to get a good thin/smooth coat.

n!k

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 16, 2010, 07:54:04 AM »
Man, this project is CRAZY. Awesome work so far though.
Half-speed Hawkwind

saltymonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 16, 2010, 08:10:41 AM »
I would think that solvent based poly might be a good compromise (solvent will give you some ambering).  I too thought about the two part epoxy stuff but it tends to be thick - like congealed snot and perhaps difficult to get a good thin/smooth coat.

They make epoxy resins now that are crystal clear and do not congeal like that. i have seen both clear and tinted epoxies over large photo prints. clear and smooth as glass. i'm no expert but i think it's worth looking into as they will not wear off.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #158 on: March 16, 2010, 10:08:51 AM »
First thing I thought was: 'WTF!?!' but it looks gorgeous! I'm proud of you:D

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 16, 2010, 03:29:53 PM »
Well Chris, you did say she needed a nice refin...

I'll look into the epoxy, Salty, but that may present other issues, as the T'bird pup's surround will not leave me with a lot of room for maneouver...

One of the nice things about this stuff is that it is easy to apply, and/or re-apply... time yet...

I had some parts in for my cab this morning so got busy with that... weather looking good for this week so the nitros made it's way to the shed...

Fingers crossed...

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 28, 2010, 01:51:22 PM »
Well, the shed was open for business today...

... started the "poly" coats on the pups and the TBpup ring, also highlighted the "Gibson" on the MB cover prior to spraying - reasonably happy with that...

Next up was the binding... I was not looking forward to this but it was a lot easier than I expected...

... I carefully trimmed the veneer to allow the binding to "sit" on the body then out came the CA... I found that it melted the gloves I was using... oops...

... reasonably pleased with this... next came the trimming down...

... first I chamfered off to each side to form an approx 45 degree edge for the frets, then I used a sharp blade and trimmed away as required... I will "finish-off" when I clean up the neck

I have a long weekend off over Easter so am hoping for a sunny weekend... It's time this old bird got her fin...

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 28, 2010, 02:04:28 PM »
Good job Kenny! Hope for some sunshine for you, I've got plenty of this stuff here.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Hornisse

« Reply #162 on: March 28, 2010, 02:16:57 PM »
Nice job on the binding.  Starting to look like her old self again.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 28, 2010, 02:29:46 PM »
There are some folks round here that would definitely be horrified by that idea, Robert...!

(what's Skunk Baxter doing in this video...?)

(sad but true... I like this for the F86 background shot...)

I must admit that I had a moment of weakness whilst draining the ink out of my wifes old CISS system for our Epson - a splat-fest on the veneer - the moment passed...

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 28, 2010, 02:37:23 PM »
I must admit that I had a moment of weakness whilst draining the ink out of my wifes old CISS system for our Epson - a splat-fest on the veneer - the moment passed...

I know that feeling, my wife has that system for her printer too, its a NIGHTMARE to set this stuff up.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.