Author Topic: My 1961 EB3  (Read 4866 times)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
Re: My 1961 EB3
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2009, 03:54:03 PM »
Congrats Dex, I've been meaning to get down to one of your shows but life keeps getting in the way  :-\
Brians job look like his usual standard. I cant rate him highly enough. He is the only guy I let touch any of my vintage stuff. Nothin' like having a bass player for a Luthier either  :)   

Well done mate.  8)
Digresion our specialty!

Hornisse

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2009, 04:52:01 PM »
Very nice!  I always love basses built the year of my birth.  Does the small humbucker have a PAF sticker on back of it? 

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2009, 06:44:06 PM »
What a beauty! 

dexter

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2009, 07:39:23 PM »
Thanks guys for all your positive comments on my basses, i really do feel a lucky guy scoring the 61 EB3. It did come with the nickel plated hand rest , but since i was planning on not installing it , i had the luthier fill the hole ,  no big deal , i can always put it on if i wanted.
If anyone does have a thumb rest they don't use , i 'd be interested in buying one., likewise with the varitone selector black plastic thing.
The EBO does most of my gigs , and it sounds fantastic with the rear pickup  which I often use in single coil mode , mixed in with e front p/u. Very full and warm sound , with just enough mids to make it cut through .
 However , if i wanna get the sound  i love ,  the  'ANDY FRASER '  sound , the 61 GETS THAT SOUND EXACTLY.  Through an Ampeg head and and 4 ten ampeg box ,  is a sound i just love .

So , my next bass on my wish list that i wanna try to score ,   ... an 50's EB1,   could be waiting a while on this one , they seem to be getting fewer on the ebay , and the prices are going up .... something to aim for !   ...never played one , but they sure look like killer basses !  ;D

dexter

angrymatt

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2009, 01:44:23 AM »
Congrats man, very nice!
angrymatt, the lurk
'13 NR Thunder "Blue" Bird | '09 BaCHBird | '07 Zebrabird | '06 Tobias Growler | '03 Spector Rebop 5 | '87 Heritage

dexter

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2009, 06:34:55 AM »
OldmanC ,  ..... so the bass of your dreams is which one ?
still got it?
wanna post some pictures of it ?
 i know a lot of you guys like the T-Birds,........ am i right guessing its one of them   
I've still yet to play one , so don't know what i'm missing out on  :mrgreen:
but i know the feeling of those early gibson basses is a hard feeling to beat !

dexter

Beautiful basses, both of them! Congratulations on getting the bass of your dreams. It's a great feeling, isn't it?

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2009, 09:12:52 AM »
Dexter, it involves Thunderbirds, but my dream was basically to have one of every Thunderbird, old and new. At one point I had all but one (a pre '66 Thunderbird IV). I've had to sell most of them over the last few years, but having owned and played so many great Gibson basses was a dream come true just the same. Uwe has a few of my prized specimens now, where I know they are well cared for pieces of his incredible collection, and I still have a few birds and various other Gibsons, which I am happy to own.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2009, 10:04:50 AM »
You always have a call option on "Whitey" (or "Yellowy"), that 86 Japan export TB II, Herr Carlston! I'm honored to have it as a foster child here.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2009, 10:20:58 AM »
You always have a call option on "Whitey" (or "Yellowy"), that 86 Japan export TB II, Herr Carlston! I'm honored to have it as a foster child here.

Ze Fraulein is quite envious of that particular bass  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2009, 10:24:21 AM »
You stick to your Lull(b)abies!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2009, 10:44:40 AM »
You stick to your Lull(b)abies!

It's just LUST Herr Moderator  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2009, 10:44:55 PM »
If there's one bass I want back, it's that one, Uwe. Hopefully, someday while I'm still spry enough to wrap my fingers around its beautiful neck.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2009, 12:24:52 AM »
You're the only person I'd ever (re)sell it too. Of course only after signing a 20 page lawyer-drafted declaration that will prevent you from (re)selling it to anyone but me!

dexter

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2009, 12:44:14 AM »
OK , sounds like OldmanC  sure regrets selling this bass ,  i hope i never find myself in that position where i have to sell a bass i dearly love , and come to regret it !   sad   >:(    ......

ok , can iether you or Uwe  post a picture of this great infamous bass ,  i figure its gotta be something  spectacular to look at , if not to play too ?

thanks , dexter

dexter

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2009, 12:59:02 AM »
Thanks Bret   ,  it would be good if you pop down to the gig sometime , be nice to meet ya !  were often at the sem 4 or bachus once  a month .
Brian sure does do great work ! , and is one of the nicest guys you could meet to top it off , .....didn't know he was a bass player , .....there ya go !
dexter
Congrats Dex, I've been meaning to get down to one of your shows but life keeps getting in the way  :-\
Brians job look like his usual standard. I cant rate him highly enough. He is the only guy I let touch any of my vintage stuff. Nothin' like having a bass player for a Luthier either  :)  

Well done mate.  8)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 05:58:52 AM by dexter »