Author Topic: Felines with a striking resemblance to a certain moustached German Staatsmann  (Read 4790 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
I've seen the site before. Looked to me like about 99.9% were photoshopped.

rahock

• View Profile
I am a true cat lover and the fact that there is a web site  www.catsthatlooklikehitler.com just freaks me out a little :o
Kinda spooky
Rick

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Priceless Dave (Hitler Cats) , almost as good as the Pirate Cat thread from the Pit.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Dave... That... was... cruel...

My wife has struck you off the card list...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

nofi

lots of cats look like hitler. that's their cross to bear. :rolleyes: :sad: :P

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Uwe has been very quit during all this.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
If you had a cat that looked like that, the only name you could give it would be Adolf.  :mrgreen:

I'm a Dog person not a Cat person so I will just leave it at that.
Digresion our specialty!

nofi

i think hitler is invoked too many times around here. there is nothing remotely humorous about him even in the most sarcastic, backhanded,  or just plain dark context. >:(

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Mocking or satirizing Hitler has a long tradition in comedy, dating back to Chaplin's The Great Dictator and Spike Jones' Der Fuehrer's Face.

I'm sure when Uwe posted the link, he had nothing in mind other than satire. The only reason I didn't find it funny is because I think it's all photoshop.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
I can mock Hitler's image and it should be mocked - it was so obviously bad taste. Should his policies be taken serious and seriously discussed - sure, and that does happen here once in a while with great earnest. Hitler wasn't Satan and don't anoint him to that by making him unmentionable. He was evil, but human, and making fun of his look is not belittling his viciousness. In the Third Reich, that cat site would have gotten you in a GESTAPO interrogation room and perhaps for a short stint into a concentration camp "to teach you right".

That said, not everybody must share that sense of sartire for the taboo that is prevalent here with many, me being a chief perpetrator. Nofi is entitled to his opinion and I'm sure it wasn't said lightly. Before I posted the cat thread, I was actually in two minds about it ... Should have followed my initial instinct, sorry.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 01:33:33 PM by uwe »

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
I always knew cats were evil.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
I think it's amusing.  I just wish that people responded to Joe Stalin the way they do to Hitler.  I've read estimates that he killed more people than the Nazis did...but not in ways that were visible to the world.

So we have Hitler parodies, but Stalin is all but forgotten outside Russia.

It is well recognized that one way people deal with bad news is humor - I think today's humor is a remaining mark of the memory society has of Hitler's evil, and that's good.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
For all his own crimes, I'll always credit Uncle Joe for freeing the world of Hitler. Russia could not have won against the Third Reich without western support, but the death toll the Red Army paid over years would have been unimaginable and intolerable for any democracy (imagine what 365 Omaha Beaches a year for years on end would have done to US public opinion). A case of lethal medicine eradicating an even more deadly disease.

I also see a difference in how in Russia for all its oppression you could save your life by submitting to the system, how ever degrading that might have been, while in Hitler's world belonging to a certain ethnicity meant the death warrant for you no matter what you did. In Russia, whole classes were murdered, but you could always save your life by converting to the other side, even as an aristocrat or kulak. Try saving your live like that in the Third Reich if you were a jew, gypsy or whoever else was perceived as an "Untermensch". That is so vile, gross and inhumane.

But I'm not defending Stalin's own atrocities here, he was just a case of the right horrible poison being accidentally around to battle a vile disease at the right time.