Author Topic: Smells like an emotionally-charged price ...  (Read 3219 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Smells like an emotionally-charged price ...
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 07:10:16 AM »
Acting stupid
Masochistic
Solve my problems
With ballistics

Re-releases
Due to lead now
I'm more famous
Cause I'm dead now......YEA

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 07:35:21 AM »
Another Nirvana fan among us, obviously!

May I confess something utterly uncool? When I first heard Nirvana in the early nineties my thought was: Whoever writes these songs has absolutely no grasp of harmonic structure of chords, he is just sliding chords around on the guitar. (I felt about Soundgarden much the same way, I still wince at radical key changes within a song.)

Ever since then I have attempted to come to terms with people writing songs where the verse would warrant other chords being used in the chorus than the ones actually employed and vice versa. Call me narrow-minded, but it was hard work for me. I still find a C major chorus following an A minor verse more pleasant to the ear than a B minor chorus following an A major verse, but that is just me.

A lot of Nirvana - with all due respect to Kurt C. and his unlucky aim - still sounds to me like a beginner sliding power chords around on a fretboard in savage (some might say: revolutionary) disregard of where he should actually go. That can sound interesting sometimes as it builds up tension and has its charm if used sparingly (like playing D major, F# minor, C major and A major rather than D minor, F major, C major and A minor, but with a lot of grunge it was overdone.

Uwe
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 07:40:56 AM by uwe »

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 03:46:12 PM »
Neil Young has a lot to answer for...

As did Mr Blackburn, with "it's better to burn out than fade away", which NY converted...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 03:29:44 PM »
I'm more surprised that bass looks so clean than I am of the price paid for it.  :o

Some people still have mad money I see.
A Beatles poster went for 52k, more than the bass!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 06:28:09 PM »
People place way too much value on pop culture.  I remember that the Precision bass owned by Sid Vicious (blood stains intact) was up on Ebay a few times with an asking price of $100K.  It never sold.
As far as Nirvana goes, I have always said that it was the production and mixing of Nevermind that made that band a hit.  Butch Vig was the producer, but it was Steve Farmer that deserves all the credit (my old high school friend works at the studio, and gave me the inside scoop) for what was released.  Writing pop songs with minor chord changes and poppy vocal lines is clever, but hardly legendary.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 04:22:05 PM »
What sells sells Gary, nothing has a "value" unless you sell it - the "Mona-Lisa" is simultaneously worthless and priceless...

Re the mix - I wonder what the "White Album", or any of his other influences, would have been like without George Martin, the "real" 5th Beetle...?

Whatever, nevermind...  ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 02:36:18 AM »
Another Nirvana fan among us, obviously!

May I confess something utterly uncool? When I first heard Nirvana in the early nineties my thought was: Whoever writes these songs has absolutely no grasp of harmonic structure of chords, he is just sliding chords around on the guitar. (I felt about Soundgarden much the same way, I still wince at radical key changes within a song.)

Ever since then I have attempted to come to terms with people writing songs where the verse would warrant other chords being used in the chorus than the ones actually employed and vice versa. Call me narrow-minded, but it was hard work for me. I still find a C major chorus following an A minor verse more pleasant to the ear than a B minor chorus following an A major verse, but that is just me.

A lot of Nirvana - with all due respect to Kurt C. and his unlucky aim - still sounds to me like a beginner sliding power chords around on a fretboard in savage (some might say: revolutionary) disregard of where he should actually go. That can sound interesting sometimes as it builds up tension and has its charm if used sparingly (like playing D major, F# minor, C major and A major rather than D minor, F major, C major and A minor, but with a lot of grunge it was overdone.

Uwe

I always thought that was just a consequence of self-taught guitarists writing songs. A pianist or a trained composer will bring variety and structure to a song by using chords that are hard to play on a guitar. No pop/rock guitarist is going to subject themselves to diminished 13th flattened ninths if they can possibly avoid it, so odd combinations of straight major and minor chords is the only way to avoid sounding like everybody else. The arch exponent of seeing how many chords you can get into one song was Pete Townsend, but in his case the results were extraordinary.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 04:28:52 AM »
That's an interesting observation! With guitarists, I often get the feeling that they either have a good grasp of scales, but no chordal basis (except for the obvious straight chords and power chords), i.e. are adventurous soloists, but not adventurous chord players, or you get these people who play the strangest chords, stretching their fingers across the fretboard, but frown at you if you say. "Hey, play a blues scale solo now!". You really can't trust them either way, useless bunch they are ...  :mrgreen:

angrymatt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 02:06:49 AM »
With guitarists, I often get the feeling that they either have a good grasp of scales, but no chordal basis (except for the obvious straight chords and power chords), i.e. are adventurous soloists, but not adventurous chord players, or you get these people who play the strangest chords, stretching their fingers across the fretboard, but frown at you if you say. "Hey, play a blues scale solo now!". You really can't trust them either way, useless bunch they are ...

HA!  I think I'm going to get that whole paragraph tattooed on my back.
angrymatt, the lurk
'13 NR Thunder "Blue" Bird | '09 BaCHBird | '07 Zebrabird | '06 Tobias Growler | '03 Spector Rebop 5 | '87 Heritage

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 05:35:40 AM »
That's an interesting observation! With guitarists, I often get the feeling that they either have a good grasp of scales, but no chordal basis (except for the obvious straight chords and power chords), i.e. are adventurous soloists, but not adventurous chord players, or you get these people who play the strangest chords, stretching their fingers across the fretboard, but frown at you if you say. "Hey, play a blues scale solo now!". You really can't trust them either way, useless bunch they are ...  :mrgreen:

Ah, this makes sense, because the one with good solos and no chords is the lead guitarist and the one with all chords and no scales is the rhythm guitarist. The guy who plays strange chords and stretches across the fretboard - are you sure that wasn't just John Mclaughlin?  :o :o

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 06:57:45 AM »
Ah, this makes sense, because the one with good solos and no chords is the lead guitarist and the one with all chords and no scales is the rhythm guitarist. The guy who plays strange chords and stretches across the fretboard - are you sure that wasn't just John Mclaughlin?  :o :o

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I'll forever respect McLaughlin for his ability (and willingness) to play fluid extended solos on a 12 string electric. Nobody else I know has done that.