Author Topic: BaCHbirds taking flight!  (Read 20595 times)

Bass VI

• View Profile
Re: BaCHbirds taking flight!
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2009, 12:34:50 AM »
Slightly modded so far,

I really like this thing!

S.
There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to feel you deep in my heart
That I ever wanted more
Than to never feel the breaking apart
All my pictures of you

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2009, 02:32:51 AM »
Wow, that is coming along nicely  ;)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2009, 08:12:41 AM »
That looks GREAT! One of Scott's pickguards would really complete the transformation.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2009, 11:48:45 AM »
Looks good Scott!

Hey did you have to dowel the original holes and redrill to fit those tuners?  I'm planning to order a similar set for mine, but when I hold the Bach headstock face-to-face with my 76 it looks like the spacing between tuners is too narrow to fit them as is.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2009, 01:14:55 PM »
Looks great ! I have to get my control sorted out, order some vintage tuners, while I am at it I'll see if Bill has  another tail piece.  ;D
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2009, 01:52:49 PM »
Finally got some pics ! These are from a block party we did in my drummers neighborhood, not or usual kind of venue but it was lot of fun ! I used the Bach for a large part of the evening. and for comparison and grins me with the NRMG
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 02:22:38 PM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2009, 03:19:02 PM »
Scott... and our guitarist whinges when I take my 3 out...  ;)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 03:30:56 PM by Kenny Five-O »
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Bass VI

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2009, 07:04:50 PM »
Looks good Scott!

Hey did you have to dowel the original holes and redrill to fit those tuners?  I'm planning to order a similar set for mine, but when I hold the Bach headstock face-to-face with my 76 it looks like the spacing between tuners is too narrow to fit them as is.

It's pretty tight, but all I had to do was drill the new holes for the vintage tuners, the holes for the smaller stock tuners were completely covered so I didn't even bother filling them. Be aware that the BaCh bushings are a little larger, I used a little masking tape to get the vintage bushings tighter, about one "turn" did it. Once you get them all in, the edges of each tuner will be touching. My " '76 " Orville has a little room between each edge too.

That looks GREAT! One of Scott's pickguards would really complete the transformation.

That's next!

Thanks Guys,

S.
That I ever wanted more
Than to feel you deep in my heart
That I ever wanted more
Than to never feel the breaking apart
All my pictures of you

Hornisse

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2009, 05:55:44 PM »
Man, that looks great!  I'm going to have to put some of those tuners on mine now.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2009, 02:24:05 PM »
Three gigs in five days here are some pics !
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 02:49:12 PM by godofthunder »

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2009, 02:56:51 PM »
Easy there old-timer... you nearly passed into forbidden teritority beyond the 12th... (ducking quickly out of site for fear of pot-blacking...  ;))
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2009, 10:18:05 AM »
I used the Bach for a large part of the show last night, I am more and more impressed with this bass the more I use it. I ran it through the two Hiwatts with my Seymour Duncan pickup booster pedal set on the 1 setting (humbucking one) Man this thing just kills, The guy who does sound on the inside stage came up and was raving about how great the bass sounded. Please Roman make more !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! pics in a few days, hopefully one past the 12th fret.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2009, 11:33:00 AM »
 ;D

angrymatt

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2009, 09:05:22 PM »
Wow... at first I was a little bummed I got a black one and not a blue or white one.  But your pictures have 180'd my whole outlook.  Only 20 more days and I can lay hands on mine.
angrymatt, the lurk
'13 NR Thunder "Blue" Bird | '09 BaCHBird | '07 Zebrabird | '06 Tobias Growler | '03 Spector Rebop 5 | '87 Heritage

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2009, 10:47:55 AM »
It's pretty tight, but all I had to do was drill the new holes for the vintage tuners, the holes for the smaller stock tuners were completely covered so I didn't even bother filling them. Be aware that the BaCh bushings are a little larger, I used a little masking tape to get the vintage bushings tighter, about one "turn" did it. Once you get them all in, the edges of each tuner will be touching. My " '76 " Orville has a little room between each edge too.

Finally got around to test-fitting and installing these.  Went in pretty smooth, just like you said.  On mine, I had to enlarge the holes just a bit to fit the vintage ferrules

(Sorry - shameless fakerbird alert.  Cover yer eyes, Henry J!)