Author Topic: Yamaha hollow-body?  (Read 2704 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Yamaha hollow-body?
« on: June 10, 2009, 06:01:40 PM »
My wife has indicated she might get a significant birthday gift for me.  I spotted a Yamaha SA-70B bass with original case on Ebay that looks really nice...but I don't know much about these instruments.

Here 'tis: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=330335958601

Is anyone here familiar with this model?  If so, I'd sure appreciate any comments or BTDT's.  It may end up going out of our price range, but I can dream....
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 08:59:58 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: Yamaha hollow-body?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 11:06:29 PM »
Wow, I love the Rickenbacker-ish shape of both horns and the wood has a nice grain. My first thought was 'Fender Coronado Clone', but it has a set neck and those nice horn shapes. They have to reintroduce that shape!

A 70s Yamaha is nice I think? I used to have the famous '67 Yamaha bass with the offset shape and the quality of that one was very well.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 05:19:07 AM »
I was tempted by one of these basses here in OZ sometime last year. It wasn't in as good a nick as the one you've spotted there. Even so it went for Aus$450.
Digresion our specialty!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 09:10:16 AM »
I am wondering how far the price on this one will go up as the auction closes.  That's one reason I value comments from this group - it helps me decide how far to bid.

In terms of good-looking, that bass is top-notch.  The few reviews I've found of the Yamaha SA series basses and guitars seem to be uniformly positive.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 06:25:47 AM »
I'm not familiar with that bass, but I have a very high regard for Yamaha instruments in general. In the mid to late 70s Yamaha had a number of low to medium priced acoustic guitars on the market and most people just passed them by and went straight to the more popular and more expensive makes.

Big mistake IMO :o.  They were about the best bang for the buck out there. Those that I had the pleasure to play, ranged from good to great and I don't think I ever picked one up that cost over $200 at that time. I think they had everybody beat in that price range and most of the others beat at two, three and maybe even four times the price.
Rick

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 08:35:11 AM »
I had a low end Yamaha nylon string guitar for years, despite the laminated top it sounded great and the workmanship was first class.

Yamaha has never really been an innovator in the guitar world so they don't seem to generate much excitement. But you rarely hear complaints about them either. I don't think you'll regret buying a used one if it looks nice and hasn't been abused.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 10:01:35 AM »
Secretly I'm a big fan of late 60's/early 70's Yamaha basses. But don't tell anyone  ;)

A red SA-70B sold for $686 on eBay last week:

A gorgeous green one had an asking price of $1,156 and didn't sell:

Here's a link to the vintage Yamaha models database: http://www.yamaha.co.jp/product/guitar/eg/database/

If I didn't already have 12 basses (and 2 more on the way...), I'd be interested in this one. Although I like this shape a bit more:

« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 01:16:26 PM by ilan »
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

wagdog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 01:07:32 PM »
I owned a SA-70 for years starting in the mid 90's and it was my go-to hollowbody until I got my Casady at which time I sold it.  I had no complaints with it at all.  It was very well built and sounded great.  I eventually settled on Pyramid flats for strings and with those it had a lovely woody tone but wasn't dark at all.  The bridge pickup was a bit on the useless side and was more for adding flavor than anything else.  Overall build was like an EB-2 with a center block so it was not a feather weight and the short scale neck was a little chunky but not overly so.  Mine was a beautiful sunburst but I didn't have the case so it got a little beat up as the years went by.  The one in the auction looks to be in excellent shape.  Uh-oh, I'm getting nostalgic now....

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 02:51:20 PM »
So, wagdog, that's very helpful.  Questions - was the Yamaha a neck-diver?  You said you sold it after getting a Casady - and I've been thinking seriously about them, and wondering how this Yamaha might compare.  Did the Casady sound significantly better/different than the Yamaha?  And how bad is the neck dive on the Casady?

Ilan, thanks for the photos and price data points!  That's scary but helpful.

wagdog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 06:52:09 AM »
I don't recall the Yamaha as being a neck diver but the Casady is another story.  That sucker heads straight for the floor as soon as you let go.  A grippy strap or ultralights are definitely needed.  I went the strap route but you can still feel the downward pull on your shoulder.

Tone wise the two are from different worlds.  The Yamaha is from the old school world with a slightly tubby low end and creamy highs, at least with the Pyramids.  Traditional tone the whole way.  The Casady has a more modern tone.  Tight low end, ringing highs, crystal clear throughout it's range and very sensitive to touch.

Saf

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 02:39:32 PM »
love the shape of the horns on the bass. It's the same as on the ibanez 1915 basses. I have one of those hanging in my guitarroom waiting for some TLC

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 05:30:22 PM »
I have the feeling that the Yammie may go through my price ceiling at the end.  I'll watch but I'm not optimistic.  However, I do have a line on a Jack Casady, and that would be OK as well.  I always use wide straps, and for a bass like the Casady I could spend the money for ultralite tuners.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 03:11:36 PM by Pilgrim »

Saf

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 01:35:19 PM »
My ibanez 1915. BOught it of the internet (marktplaats.nl) for 50 euro's. Need some tlc a pickguard, good bridge and some other stufff what need to be done. I have to many basses and to many projects. So this one has to wait.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 11:24:52 PM »
That Iby has "THOSE" pups on it Saf.  Very cool  :)
Digresion our specialty!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 09:50:32 AM »
Dang.  I just love hollowbodies and semi-hollows.  To me, they just look like a bass ought to look!

And that Yamaha is up to $465 this AM.