Author Topic: Berry Oakley and Duane Allman video on youtube...  (Read 2023 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Berry Oakley and Duane Allman video on youtube...
« on: June 06, 2009, 06:15:45 AM »
Just noticed Terr's posting re bass playing singers which led to a little trawling... I could certainly be considered as being a fan of this band, especially in it's original configuration (although the line-up on "one way out" is outstanding) but I was rather surprised to find this... part one 9:45 of Whipping Post, purportedly at the Fillmore East... not familiar with this version, but they played there a few times...

There are several versions on there but this seems a better lift...

This is the song "Dreams", but Gregg's vocals are missing...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Rocker949

Re: Berry Oakley and Duane Allman video on youtube...
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 07:34:48 AM »
I'd say my favorite Allman Brothers song is Statesboro Blues, followed by Whipping Post and One Way Out.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 07:46:45 AM by Rocker949 »

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 12:29:52 AM »
There MUST be more footage of Duane & Berry out there...hopefully more will turn up on youtube...
They were so AWESOME!!

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 10:56:58 AM »
Terr... I presume this is from around 25 minutes of footage that shows up from time to time, and as you can see was profesionally shot, but I guess they just do not have the draw to do the research these days... may around/by October 29th 2011...  :sad:

If you like them and do not already have it, chek out the live double, "One Way Out", which is a great show... I have an ambition to see them at the Beacon one year, but not at the mo... gonna wear a red, white and blue beacon tee for our July 4th gig...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Rocker949

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 12:02:07 PM »
I never got to see the Allman Brothers, although I came close to it several times.  The last time I got there just in time to hear the closing notes of their last song.  By the time I got in the building, they were already off the stage.  That was at the local armory--a place that used to be a great venue for all kinds of bands.

Right before they became the Allman Brothers, they were known as the Hour Glass.  They practiced in this area because their drummer Johnny Sandlin lived here.  So I've heard several stories from musicians and other people I know about Gregg and Duane.  For example, several years ago, I got into a conversation about music with my dental hygienist.  She was telling me about being a young teenager out in the country where they used to practice.  She had taken a motorcycle ride with Duane one day without her father's permission.  When her father found out, of course he was extremely pissed off.  I used to have the 45 of the Hour Glass single "The Power of Love."  It was a regional hit here, although from what I read none of that stuff they did as the Hour Glass got any national attention.   In speaking of the Hour Glass, Duane Allman had said, "A good damn band of misled cats is what it was."  How much of a difference Berry Oakley's addition to the band made may be hard to calculate.  Personally, I think it made a big difference.  Of course by that time the Hour Glass was no more and they were the Allman Brothers Band. 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 12:29:47 PM by Rocker949 »

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 01:31:57 PM »
Michael... I was talking backstage in '83 to Stevie Ray Vaughan and Tommy Shannon (about my one and only big name drop that I care about) about the times SRV saw them - I was so in awe... never met anyone else, or conversed with, who saw them, excluding an American I was talking to at the bar in the Rainbow Theatre in '77 (whilst waiting for Skynyrd) who actually saw them at the Fillmore, but not those nights, also was at Woodstock - his lasting memory was "the smell..."
There are some commercially available recordings (most notabbly the "BB King Medley") which show what they could do, which was fairly compatible with the early ABB's...