Author Topic: Back soon  (Read 5960 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Back soon
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2009, 03:43:15 AM »
Welcome home Bret... you could always sort out a couple of nice reds, waste them on getting blitzed (semi military avian link inferred - don't even bother to add groan here...) and fall over, face first, on a nice quarry tile floor, then get Cath to take the pics...  8) (not cool, you just need the shades... ;D)

Mark, just don't go down under on any Airbus (especially A330's) until they sort out this speed issue they are inferring...  :o (Closest I could get to a military link (they do have options)... perhaps I shouldn't have bothered...  ???)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2009, 07:58:05 AM »
Damnit! I just dont do invalid very well.

My wife is complaining because I'm not letting her pander to me.  :rolleyes:

Well, you could get her a nurses outfit ;)  Maybe some fishnet hose......

Seriously, I've been told that surgery is VERY painful - my brother had his done to correct sleep apnia.  THe important thing to remember is stay on the pain meds and don't let the pain get in fromt of meds.

Hang in there - it'll get better sooner than you think.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2009, 08:23:45 AM »
Yeah I found that out today  :rolleyes: Still paying for it now. I was feeling quite good and thinking that this aint so bad, I'm healing quicker than they said. So I didnt have my pain killers for an extra 2 hours. Then when it did hit me it seems that even the drugs aint quite enough. The Morphine shot in the hospital yesterday was a welcome relief. I could do with another one now to get some sleep.

I have a pair of splints in there that dont come out until friday. Doc said I may feel some discomfort until then  :o
I now understand that Discomfort is Doctor speak for Pain.

I cant believe that people do this kinda shit for just for looks.

Interestingly (Ken) my sense of smell is coming back. Every now and then I'm getting bombarded with intense smells. I mean what would be a normal cut grass smell is like bowl me over strong.  Quite amazing.
Digresion our specialty!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2009, 08:27:00 AM »
A friend of mine had some major sinus work and they packed the sinuses with gauze.  He said when they pulled the gauze out through his nose, it was amazing to see how much was in there.

Enjoy your breakfast..... :P

Speaking of which:

Interestingly (Ken) my sense of smell is coming back. Every now and then I'm getting bombarded with intense smells. I mean what would be a normal cut grass smell is like bowl me over strong.  Quite amazing.

I'll bet that everything you eat is going to taste AMAZING.  Watch out for jalapenos - they might be too much!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2009, 08:28:01 AM »
That was yesterday Al. Sure is a lot of cavity in there.
Digresion our specialty!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2009, 08:30:24 AM »
I'll bet you feel considerably unplugged!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2009, 08:42:06 AM »
My body clock is all up the ...clacker

Its 1am here and I feel crap and should be in bed asleep but because of the sleeping during the day and constant waking up over the last 2 nights I'm not sleepy.
Digresion our specialty!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2009, 08:54:31 AM »
Nearly 1700 here, Bret... and if you nose is coming back to life, steer clear of the silage towers, the slurry pits, and the kitty-litter tray...  :puke:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2009, 09:12:10 AM »
Glad to hear the surgery was a success and your smell is improving. Just don't rush things.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.brooksbassguitars.com
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2009, 10:11:25 AM »
Get well soon Bret.
But take your time.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2009, 11:29:51 AM »
Got my sinuses reamed 23 years ago thanks to a broken nose from a teen-aged fight. That packing can go a LONG WAY up there! Over the years one side has closed up a bit but I can still breathe clearly through one side of my nose so it's all good. My advice (which I'm sure you've heard) is follow your doctor's orders to the letter! The healing was so annoying and messy that I hated it and blew stuff out too soon and too often. As a result I've suffered from easily provoked nosebleeds ever since. No big deal but my family laughs all the time at my walking around the house with tissues stuffed up my nose...

Here's to a quick recovery and a lifetime of easy breathing/smelling/tasting!

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2009, 03:44:45 AM »
George, I was telling Ken recently that where I live is wine country. Its virtually impossible to grow up here and not be involved in the wine industry in some way. Its one of our biggest exports. Half of my family and friends are (or have been) in the industry.

I cant tell you how hopeful I am that my sense of smell will return to a reasonable degree. (OK I'll try)

Over my life I have mapped in my brain flavours that distinguish regions, varieties, styles and in some cases even different clones of grapes. A Pinot Noir 777 compared to a D116 was once identifiable to me.
I once stood in a room of 36 wine drinkers with my Dad where we all had to stand and were asked questions about the wine we were tasting. "Is this wine a Cabernet, a Shiraz or a Merlot? If you picked anything other than Shiraz please sit down." This went on through Blended/Unblended, Which State, which region, mixed or specific oak, kind of oak and finally year.  My Dad and I were the last 2 standing. It was his birthday so I let him win  ;D

My Dad makes wine with his best mate Carmine who owns the Henry Martin wine label and makes the wine at Stonyfell (Where Max Shubert invented Penfolds Grange Hermitage).

I can tell you as many (interesting to me and most probably boring as bat shit to you) stories about wine as you like but I cant tell you how hard it has been to sit with a table full of winemakers and knowledgeable wine drinkers or family (quite often the same thing) with all of this knowledge in my head, a room full of interested and interesting people and I'm forced to sip and smile and refrain from joining in, let alone experience what they are all talking about.

One of my favourite winemakers is Tim Knapstein. During one vintage I tasted with him each barrel of the 14 Pinot Noir clones that he grows, prior to blending (which he is a master at). I was able to talk with him if not on an even footing at least in the same ball park.
The reality is that most of the big name winemakers here are really just farmers with good noses. Very down to earth people.

I was in a very good restaurant with him about 12 months ago when he chose a 1980's bottle of one of his Rieslings to "See how it was traveling". I could tell the wine had held up well and that all the major components were balanced properly. But to get into the nuances of the different flavours I was completely lost.

I realise that drinking Mexican beer on a hot day is great fun and I enjoy this as well so dont get me wrong but wine has been a part of my everyday life here, I live in the middle of a wine region.  This has been a huge sadness for me to deal with. Completely irrelevant to others I accept, but a big deal to me.

So George, when you say "Here's to a quick recovery and a lifetime of easy breathing/smelling/tasting!" I really do appreciate the sentiment.

<Bret thinking to himself> Geez thats quite a rant... do I post that or is it best to just hit the delete button?
* Freuds_Cat presses the button and goes looking for more drugs

Digresion our specialty!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2009, 07:56:58 AM »
No, I'm glad you posted that. My sense of smell is not strong so it's interesting to hear about people with highly developed noses. I hope you're able to return to form, or at least close.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2009, 02:02:08 PM »
I'm with Dave, Bret. I'm glad you let in on just how important this has been to you. Losing your sense of smell and taste due to your sinus problems has got to be on par with losing the use of your fingering hand as a bass player. When you know what's there but can't play, it's torture. I'm glad you have a chance to get back your passion.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2009, 03:03:20 PM »
Man this sounds awful. My sinuses are my burden, breathing out of one nostril is a good day, one sinus infection to the next. The only thing that has helped me is a Neti pot. I use it to cleanse my sinus. Stick it in one nostril and the water come out the other. Surgery................. man what you just went through sounds horrid, but I really hope it helps.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird