Author Topic: The big Legendary eighties basses thread  (Read 7740 times)

Blazer

The big Legendary eighties basses thread
« on: May 25, 2009, 06:10:48 PM »
I figured it to be fun to start a thread about those eighties "Modern age" basses that seemingly everybody played at the time and where they stand now.

First up, here's the bass with which the term "Quality for a low price" was re-invented and with which the instrument factory called "Matsumoku" got a legendary status among vintage affectino's and players alike.
The Aria Pro 2 SB series.

This bass first came out in the late seventies as a reply to the craze created by Alembic basses for having exclusive woods, neck through body construction and active electronics, but offering it for only a fraction of the cost of an Alembic, add to the fact that thanks to the Japanese being leaders in laserprint technology, it also eliminated the need for an outside power source, just hook up a nine volt battery and you're ready to go. This bass became a mainstay on stages in the eighties in virtually all kinds of music.

Players of the Aria SB included
Jack Bruce
Marcus Miller
John Taylor (Duran Duran)
Cronos (Venom)
Cliff Burton (Metallica)

So where's the SB series now? After the Matsumoku factory closed shop in the late eighties, the SB series has vanished along with it, the "Integra series" taken it's place. Recently though, the SB has made a come back in both Chinese Made bolt on versions and Korean made Signature versions for John Taylor and Cliff Burton and a true-to-original reissue of the SB1000. The bass still has a rabid cult following.

Second, it's the toothbrush.
The Steinberger L2

Say "Eighties", say "Steinberger" this instrument was a sensation in both being as groundbreaking and innovative as the first mobile "brick" phones and the Commodore 64 "Home computer" and being as dated when viewed almost thirty years later. The Steinberger bass was the first bass to be made entirely from graphite compound and molded into shape. It also was the first production instrument that utilized headless technology. The fact that I placed the word "Production" in bold font letters is because I'm aware that Les Paul built a headless guitar in the fifties and that several Custom basses in the seventies already utilized the headless idea. The Steinberger was more than just a Gimmick bass though, because of the density of the entire unit the bass had a good powerful sustain and active EMG pickups also made that the bass had a good sound as well.

Players who used the Steinberger L 2
Bill Wyman
Leland Sklar
Geddy Lee
Sting
Mike Rutherford and Daryl Steurmer (Genesis)
Earl Falconer (UB 40)

So where's the Steinberger L2 now? When Steinberger itself went belly up, the German owned and Korean produced Hohner brand licensed the design for the L-series and the Steinberger hardware and continues to build Steinberger copy basses and guitars, the big difference being that the Hohners are made of Wood rather than graphite. Another person quick to seize the opportunity to snatch up Steinberger technology was luthier Steve Klein, who used headless graphite necks and Steinberger hardware on his custom guitars and basses. When Gibson revamped Steinberger as a part of their Musicyo online stores the "boat oar bass" also re-appeared but today's Steinberger "Synapse" basses differ from the Originals by having maple necks and a slightly bigger body, while the Korean made "Spirit" series is identical to the Hohner made Steinberger copy, leaving me to believe that they come from the same plant. As with the Aria, the Steinberger has a Cult Following and collect high prices at vintage fairs.

And Third on the list was another product of Ned Steinberger's genius.
The Spector NS2

Steinberger was a furniture designer, first and foremost, when he and Stuart Spector started to work together, they set out to build the most ergonomically shaped instrument, one that you could play for hours without problems. As was the trend in those days, the bass featured exclusive woods and a Neck through body construction. It proved to be a winning combination.

Players that used the Spector Ns-2

Jack Bruce
Sting
Mike Inez (Ozzy Osbourne)
Gene Simmons
Doug Wimbish (Tackhead, Living colour)

So where's the NS-2 now? Kramer bought Spector in the late eighties and as such when Kramer went Bust, so went Spector. In the early eighties Hans Peter Wilfer CEO of what would eventually become Warwick, bought the license rights of the design and as the "Streamer" the bass still is in production. Stuart Spector made a come back in the nineties with Spector basses which included a European made line. As such the NS-2 is still being made and is as popular as ever.

So, which basses do you guys think should be in this list?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 06:37:47 PM by Blazer »

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Re: The big Legendary eighties basses thread
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 04:07:28 AM »
Those Aria's are not cheap now, I guess the demand is greater than the supply. Nice looking basses as well.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 06:35:49 AM »
a couple went on ebay here recently for quite cheap still. I would guesstimate about US$200.
Digresion our specialty!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 03:48:39 PM »
I tried the Aria's at the time, but I was Gibson, through and through so they just felt alien, but how did I fall for the Hohner's sister instrument, "The Jack"...? I consider that to be a stunning instrument, exceptionally good at staying in tune, an exceptional action and a great sound... similar to, and a poor man's "Status"...?

My daughter has taken to mine like the proverbial duck to water... I have been sort of watching out for one, or a "paddle" but none have been coming up cheaply...

Never tried the NS2, but visually not to my taste...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 09:27:57 PM »
I've always liked those Aria's. I've played a couple and really liked them. A little on the heavy side but not too bad.

I used to own a Kramer/Spector NS2. Not the model with the nice inlays, just dot's on the fretboard. Played very nice to me and sounded good with the EMG's that it had. I wouldn't mind having another, but it probably wouldn't fit the sound I'm after anymore.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 03:57:27 PM »
For the happy metal years I have to throw out the Kramer Focus and the Charvel pointy things.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Hornisse

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 09:47:54 PM »
I played an L2 for many years.  One of my favorite basses before I started playing 5 strings.  Another bass of mention would be the original Guild SB-602 Pilot bass.  The earliest had 20 frets and a large pickguard and then quickly went to 22 frets still with the pickguard.  I think they stopped the pickguard models in 1985.  An underrated bass for sure with quality hardware (EMG and Schaller) and great balance.  Notable users were:

Garry Tallent
Mark "The Animal" Mendoza
Jerry Peek

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 08:26:22 AM »
That bass reminds me of Dali's paintings.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 12:59:20 PM »
Another Steinberger L2 player was the late Dee Murray of the Elton John Band, here's his, used on several tours, and a couple albums, as well as the single "I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues". In the close-up photo you can see on the bridge p/u how Dee liked to play over this p/u, every video I've seen of him playing this bass he was plucking over the bridge p/u. I need to take some better photos.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 01:04:41 PM by leftybass »
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

pamlicojack

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 08:01:04 PM »
I had one of those Arias back in the day.  My guitarist had the 6-string counterpart and we would pull them out for some ZZ Top or something similar...

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 03:33:32 PM »
The G&L L-2000 was a monster popular bass for a couple of years in the early 80s - maybe the L-1000 too.  They were a lot less radical compared to the Steinbuggers, and have always seemed to be a MM derivative.  But for the 80s, a shout goes out.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 01:01:11 PM »
Legendary? I don't know but this is for sure the king of 80's pointy bases! I bought this BC Rich Ironbird bass for 150 a few months back, sorry I had to put it on ebay, I got $700 for it !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Blazer

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 03:41:44 PM »
Legendary? I don't know but this is for sure the king of 80's pointy bases! I bought this BC Rich Ironbird bass for 150 a few months back, sorry I had to put it on ebay, I got $700 for it !

Did you by chance sell it to THIS guy?
http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94337