Author Topic: And THIS is how Disco should be played live.  (Read 5836 times)

Blazer

And THIS is how Disco should be played live.
« on: May 20, 2009, 05:36:56 AM »

I mean how can one doubt such a performance?

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
Re: And THIS is how Disco should be played live.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 06:03:45 AM »
disco died because Punk rock killed it.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Blazer

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 11:13:30 AM »
disco died because Punk rock killed it.
Not really, this clip is from 1979 and by then Punk was already fading being replaced by New Wave and New Romantic, the Pistols were already split up and Lydon had formed PIL, The Clash became a Reggae band, Blondie had a disco hit with "Heart of glass", the revamped look of Roxy Music gave bands like Duran Duran and A Flock of seagulls a template to work from, Joy Division was making a good splash and disco bands like Earth, Wind and fire were bigger than ever before.

So nope, you're wrong, disco wasn't killed by punk.

SKATE RAT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 12:59:06 PM »
well punk has never slowed down and 79 80 & 81 were the best years for punk,US and elsewhere..first Bad Brains record was 79,first Discharge 79,Minor Threat 81 etc,etc.blondie was never a punk band they were a CBGB's band.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 01:00:12 PM »
So nope, you're wrong, disco wasn't killed by punk.

Bloody should've been!
Digresion our specialty!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 01:40:49 PM »
It was the night, they drove old Disco down... and long may it stay there...  :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Blazer

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 02:08:39 PM »
So has anybody of you actually WATCHED this clip?

Blazer

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 02:12:11 PM »
well punk has never slowed down and 79 80 & 81 were the best years for punk,US and elsewhere..first Bad Brains record was 79,first Discharge 79,Minor Threat 81 etc,etc.blondie was never a punk band they were a CBGB's band.

The bands you name are Hardcore bands, when somebody says "Punk" I think of the Pistols, Souixy and the Banshees, the slits, X, The Clash, the Damned, MC5, The Stooges and of course the Ramones.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 02:19:34 PM »
So has anybody of you actually WATCHED this clip?

I did. Not a bad song at all, although it's not my kind of music. Never heard it before, ABBA was nowhere near as popular in the US as in Europe, never had an album break the Top 10 here.

In the US, disco was in steep decline by this time and west coast punk wasn't near its peak yet. But I don't think there's any connection between the decline of one and the rise of the other.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 03:02:42 PM »
I watched it.  From behind, at about 1:19, the blonde chick still looks as I remember.  They were big here though, as a singles band.  That song not being one of their hits.  And they never were considered a disco act, although pop.  Disco died as all fads do, but it was much bigger than most. Bigger than punk, but not as long-lasting. If you can call things that happened in the hardcore blip a few years after "punk."

As for Disco being played live, I have to say that KC and The Sunshine Band were a pretty solid live act.  One could argue they were more funk than pre-packaged disco.  Chic was a great live act as well.  And while we're at it, Donna Summer was no slouch at singing live.  That chick could deliver the goods. 

I cheered on the Comisky Park explosion as much as anyone, but have largely shed any disco bashing.  Compared to frauds like Justin Timberlake or the grandaddy of pedophiliac weirdness, Jacko (who admittedly can sing live), modern pop makes Disco look good.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 03:08:42 PM »
Disco was not my trip... as per EB, always considered them to be pop - actually watched the movie (xmas prezzie for my wife), initially somewhat reluctantly, but enjoyed it...  :o

Abba produced some classic pop songs but (as I've stated before) I'm still wearing some of the same ROCK/METAL/BLUES T shirts I was wearing right through the PUNK era, and proud of it...  8)

Each to their own...  :thumbsup: (not keen on REGGAE either)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 03:19:17 PM by Kenny-Murdo' »
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

SKATE RAT

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 07:54:41 PM »
The bands you name are Hardcore bands, when somebody says "Punk" I think of the Pistols, Souixy and the Banshees, the slits, X, The Clash, the Damned, MC5, The Stooges and of course the Ramones.
while you are right that those are hardcore bands the term is hardcore punk. everybody always name drops those few "major" bands.plus " i got a right by Iggy & the Stooges has all the elements of a hardcore song.
but i put that first post in as a joke,i think i saw on a t-shirt once but no i didn't watch the clip 'cause i don't do disco.

nofi

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 08:11:05 PM »
the mc5 is a punk band? wow, i did not know that. better go find john sinclair and tell him. :rolleyes:

the 'house' band for the white panther party and radical politics. or so they claimed. just an energetic, hard rock band with an experimental edge imo. i would put the stooges in the same boat but more straight forward.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 08:18:43 PM by nofi »

SKATE RAT

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2009, 08:25:08 PM »
the meaning of genres change,i mean people used to consider AC/DC and Led Zep heavy metal. but now they're classic rock. it all a matter of dates.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2009, 11:17:44 PM »
ABBA were big here but Dancing Queen was their only "Disco" hit. Like Kiss' - I was made etc.  The rest of ABBA was just pop to my ears.

SKATE RATS comments about terminoligy and dates is right.

Fredric Dannens book "The Hitmen" has a very poigniant description of how Disco was "Invented " by the record industry for anyone interested.

http://www.amazon.com/Hit-Men-Brokers-Inside-Business/dp/0679730613/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242886180&sr=1-1/

It a very well researched book with a lot of detail and quite depressing for anyone thinking of the music industry as a career choice.

Digresion our specialty!