Author Topic: Ovation Magnum help  (Read 5012 times)

hollowbody

• Been working in the Kremlin with a two headed dog.
    • View Profile
Ovation Magnum help
« on: May 09, 2009, 02:49:51 PM »
I just picked up a Magnum II that consisted of a neck, body, and a ziplock bag of parts.  It appears that virtually everything is here, but I have no idea how to wire it up.  Would anyone here happen to have a schematic for it?  Or even better, a Magnum I schematic.  I'd probably be happier with it being passive and selling the preamp.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Ovation Magnum help
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 04:19:17 PM »
If no one here responds, there's a thread on TalkBass at http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=429347 that might provide help.  The author Benjamin Strange went through the one he bought and made some mods - I don't recall whether he found a wiring diagram.  He is likely to respond to a private message.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

hollowbody

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 08:52:35 AM »
Thanks, Pilgrim.  I read that thread and found that he gutted all of the electronics and wired it straight to the jack.  I figured out how to wire it up and played a few Ross Valory lines on it.  What a great sounding bass!

Unfortunately, the pickguard is trashed.  I've looked around on the net and can't seem to find a place that sells the II guard.  Anyone have any places for me to look?

Or does anyone have a template?  I'd love to make one out of aluminum to match the other parts... ;D
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 09:01:29 AM by hollowbody »

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 10:21:51 AM »
I have the Magnum I & II. I had my II preamp/sliders replaced with an updated one (done by Gary Brawer in S.F. and great job by the way). I still have the original plate and sliders. I could see about making a template for you, but will have to find the whole set I have stored somewhere. By the way if you want to hear some real Magnum sounds at work check out just about anything from Jah Wobble.Among the worlds most original and innovative bassists.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 08:35:03 AM »
Hey guys, how heavy are those Magnums?  I think they're extremely cool visually, but I've always wondered if they're unusually heavy.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 08:40:31 AM »
The I & II's are all in at 10-10.5 lbs. Mahogany galore. But very nicely balanced and put together. You can intonate them to a tee. The bridge and all that surround around the pickups is aluminium. The IV & V's are also right in there at 10 lbs as well.

Dark Storm

• Meow?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 08:44:45 AM »
You can intonate them to a tee.
That bridge seems to have piles of intonation room indeed.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 12:49:20 PM »
Chromium might know, PM him.

hollowbody

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 06:09:45 PM »
I made a temporary guard out of aluminum so I can try her out proper.  I'm fairly sure that I'm going to ditch the electronics and wire it like a Magnum I.  The only thing I can't figure out about it is how I would wire the stereo/mono outputs.

I'll agree that it's a heavy bugger!  I stood outside of work tonight with the bass in a gig bag on my shoulder for far too long.  My arm didn't want to cooperate when it came to drive off...

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 06:12:38 PM »
Chromium might know, PM him.

I second the idea of contacting Chromium. He has one so he probably has a schemaic for it. He seems to have endless knowledge of bass electronics.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 11:24:19 PM »
Back to my last comment on 5/10, I mistakenly said IV & V's. I meant the Magnum III & IV's (they were also a different body shape. If you really need the schematic John Budny (he's an old hand with Ovation and was there at the time and helped and several others with our Magnums years ago) at Kaman Guitars is very helpful and he does have it and can give you some advice. I'd say forget the stereo and mono wiring. I cut those out on my Mag I. The one thing you will notice as well about that Magnum neck pickup is that the sound does really roll off if you are prone to bend strings. Otherwize there is not a pickup around that comes close to the bass that one puts out.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 01:03:05 PM »
Congrats on the bass, Hollowbody

If you are still looking for a pickguard, check out Ebay seller "aiguitars".  I noticed that they've been listing some Mag I repros, with lettering and all.  You might check with "sunnyledges" as well.  They had a ton of NOS Ovation parts listed at one time - including pickguards.

hollowbody

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 04:38:11 PM »
I have talked with John Budny a few times in the past and he's always gone out of my way to help out.

I did see that pg on ebay but $65 is too steep for me.  Plus I'll ditch the stereo/mono idea and just run it mono.  I can envision that area of the pg being fragile with two holes so if I can find a template I'll make it with one output.

copacetic, if you come acroos your old pickguard, let me know.  I just need the outline.

Thanks all!  I'd post a pic of it but it looks a little too ratty right now.

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 09:48:16 PM »
I've put it on my list to find it and i am sure in the same file I have the schematic..The Mag I has the i piece guard and the II had the 2 piece for that battery insert. Glad you 've had contact with John. He was around when that bass was developed and the fact that he's still there is amazing. I'l let you know when i find it and I can either fax or send it to you.