Author Topic: Big Gibson SG price drop  (Read 2002 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Big Gibson SG price drop
« on: May 09, 2009, 10:52:51 AM »
The Gibson SG Standard has had a street price of $1649 and the regular (not faded) SG Special has been $1249.

Now look at this announcement from Gibson yesterday: Gibson SGs - At Unbelievable New Prices

This hasn't reached the online dealers yet, I expect it will take a few days. That's a big drop, especially on the Special.

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
Re: Big Gibson SG price drop
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 08:33:13 PM »
They list Chris Robinson amongst the SG players. haha
He's the singer in Black Crowes, his brother Rich is the axman. lol
Rich Robinson owns lots of cherry axes including a Zemaitis or 2!!

So what do you think? Are the low prices due to the economy or is it cuz of funky craftsmanship like you see on many LPs in GCs?

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 09:17:27 PM »
Hard to say. Gibson already had way more under $1000 guitars than USA Fenders, thanks to Fender's steep price increases earlier this year. So it could be a way of trying to call attention to that and grab more of Fender's market. Or it could be that Gibson's own sales are lagging and need a boost.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 08:04:55 AM »
Gibson sales have got to be lacking. Every Gibsonhead guitar player I know is walking past the Gibsons and picking up an Epi these days. I must say, they are picking up some mighty fine Epis too. The guys I'm talking about are not cheapo guys either, they're guys with extensive and expensive collections. Their old stuff is Gibson , their new stuff is Epi.
Rick

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 08:15:04 AM »
Could be. This move takes SG Standard and Special prices back to where they were in the mid to late 90s, so it ought to help.

Bass VI

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 10:57:38 PM »
Hard to say. Gibson already had way more under $1000 guitars than USA Fenders, thanks to Fender's steep price increases earlier this year. So it could be a way of trying to call attention to that and grab more of Fender's market. Or it could be that Gibson's own sales are lagging and need a boost.

Both I suspect, Fenders' price increase ( roughly 30% across the board ) has seriously affected sales ( at least at my store ) of course they are offering a rebate on some models, but not enough to offset the increase. I'm actually suprised that Gibson has dropped they're prices, but I think I read that they laid off some workers at the Memphis or Nashville plants. The reaction to Fenders' pricing has been pretty negative and Oklahoma hasn't been as negatively affected by the recession as other parts of the country, I can imagine that the Fender dealers in Detroit are not too happy. So I'd say good for Gibson, it would appear that they are at least recognizing that there are fewer dollars floating around ( well that would not be counting the Trillion or so the Gov has printed up  ;))
 I wonder if dealer cost has gone done too, or if the retailer is "eating" Gibsons' goodwill gesture.

Scott ( Gibson player/Fender seller ) well except for the BassVI's
There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to feel you deep in my heart
There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to never feel the breaking apart
All my pictures of you

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 04:49:02 AM »
The prices you guys pay makes me cry. We get so badly ripped off here on American products.

Standard retail price on a Gibson Thunderbird IV  @ Gibson dealers Allans music and Guitar World = $3,599 (US$2,924)
http://www.allansmusic.com.au/Product.aspx?p=88193
http://www.guitar.com.au/guitars/bass/gibson/index.htm

Even the SG reissue is Aus$3000

Digresion our specialty!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 10:42:58 AM »
The original announcement was a bit misleading. The SG Standard did drop to $1199 but the regular SG Special only dropped to $999. The $699 SGs are the faded ones. Still, not a bad deal at all.