Author Topic: Live Long and Prosper  (Read 6184 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2009, 03:15:50 PM »
Well, just back from seeing it - my daughter had to restrain me from going straight back in to see it again...

The mark of a good movie, imho, is when it appears to be too short - "crikey, where did those 2 hours go...?"

Majel Barrett finished her voice over work (ships computer, yet again) just a few days before she died... they're planning to send some of hers and Genes ashes up on a "permanant escape velocity" - "boldly going..." when some of Gene R's ashes were sent up in '97 they were designed to fall back to Earth, shooting star fashion... yes, I know, how sad that I know such trivia...  ;D
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 04:03:16 PM by Kenny-Murdo' »
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2009, 10:48:57 PM »
The mark of a good movie, imho, is when it appears to be too short - "crikey, where did those 2 hours go...?"

Good point - an hour into the movie I felt like 10 or 20 minutes had passed, I didn't want it to end!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2009, 05:20:33 AM »
Saw the movie finally & loved it.

Great casting. I loved Sylar as Spock & Shaun from Shaun of the Dead as Scotty.

My complaints-plot could have been better. Some ridiculous things that were flat out stupid. Spock & Orhura was wrong to me - Spock would never kiss in front of anyone.

Funny parts, that had to be nods to the old Star Trek - The unkown character you know is going to die- that was funny!
Spock & Kirk as kids was great. Camander pike was cool nod to the past.

I'm not sure I like the all digital effects vs the old school models they built for previous movies.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2009, 07:40:35 AM »
I saw it Saturday - loved it!  Who cares if some plot points were thin - it's a space opera (latest version of a western, aka: a horse opera) and an adventure.

I thought they did a marvelous job of working in the characters - and I was really struck by the McCoy character.  He really looks the part!

I smell sequels.  The way that movie ended, the first credit on the screen should have been:  More to come...
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2009, 03:02:22 PM »
They're signed up for 2 more (but that is a standard package these days)
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2009, 03:13:18 PM »
They're signed up for 2 more (but that is a standard package these days)

I'm in.  That movie was well cast, great fun, and I'd love to see more.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Darrol

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2009, 01:06:49 PM »
Even without the contract for 2 more there would have more than likely been a sequel put into planning based on the fact that it did so well opening weekend.
There are many in this world that call me Darrol, feel free to be apart of that group.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2009, 01:34:10 PM »
I haven't seen it, but I do like Karl Urban.   I can see how he'd be great for McCoy.  He had that kind of role in Ghost Ship.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2009, 01:39:20 PM »
Go see it Gary, if you like any form of 'Trek... if you hate it, bill me... bet you won't be dissapointed...!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2009, 02:01:34 PM »
Oh, I think I'll like it.  Wrath of Khan is still one of the best sci-fi films ever made.   :mrgreen:

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2009, 02:13:18 PM »
Err... I do think "Wrath" is a superb movie, but...

So... before I go off on a tangential cross-dimensional trip to the edge of the known continuums, has that been a posting here, already, re best Sci-Fi movie, so I can read thru first...? (pst... Blade Runner...)

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2009, 03:16:45 PM »
Err... I do think "Wrath" is a superb movie, but...

So... before I go off on a tangential cross-dimensional trip to the edge of the known continuums, has that been a posting here, already, re best Sci-Fi movie, so I can read thru first...? (pst... Blade Runner...)

Best?  Psst....Forbidden Planet

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2009, 03:32:30 PM »
... but Gary, now you're talkin' the "classics", like the original "The Day The Earth Stood Still", and into the 60's, 2 classics from Kubrick with "Dr Strangelove" and, of course, "My mind is going, I can feel it...", the glorious "Space Opera" that was/is "Star Wars", as well as the 'Trek re-launch, the 80's with "Blade Runner" and "Alien", and right up to "The Matrix", and then you have the obscure, but none-the-less briliant... "Silent Running", "Soylent Green", "Dark Star", up to the more recent, "Sunshine", and "Solaris", "The Thirtenth Floor", "Event Horizon"... even the flawed attempts at "Dune"...

Another personal favourite twisted view is "K-PAX", and we must not forget "Hitch-hikers"...  ;D

Err... did I go off on one...  ;)

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2009, 06:29:20 PM »
And don't forget Dark City

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2009, 03:57:55 AM »
And don't forget Dark City