Author Topic: My work with Gibson Basses,during my years at Gibson Guitars-Part 1  (Read 3504 times)

GuitarArtisan

• View Profile
My name is Phillip R. Jones. I was hired on as the first Gibson custom shop Luthier,in July of '84,and was the first custom shop employee. I worked for Gibson for 15 years,to the day,until July of '99. Of the 30 designs I was involved with Gibson,many more were guitars,as statistically,they out-sell basses by the ratio of 4 to 1.
And since I was somewhat of a bass player,it fell upon me to design the basses,as they were treated as the red-headed stepchild,of Gibson product. They had been behind Fender from the onset of the first electric basses from both companies,as Gibson had the design aspect of following an upright bass,with the introduction of the EB-1,which had the profile of an upright bass,and even a screw-in aluminum post,to stand the bass upright,when playing. And Fender came up with the idea of the "Horizontal" bass,and they were ahead if the game,from the beginning. Gibson's EB pickup,was overwound,with a deep output,and the short scale length made for a short attack,and short sustain,as per an upright bass. Whereas the Fender employed a 34" scale length,and had a piano tone,and a sharp attack,and long sustain.
 So there was a long uphill battle to bring the Gibson bass into the modern era,and comparable to the Fender product. The subsequent models,the EB-0,and EB-2 still had the short scale,and deep pickup,and even a choke coil,activated by a switch,to deepen the tone even more. And even though there was a long scale EBO-L produced,it wasn't until the introduction of the 34" scale Thunderbird bass,that was finally comparable with the Fender basses. The humbucker pickups incorporated long lap steel coils,and were magnet-loaded.They had a much better overall output,and tone,a great design,although the "reverse" body design lacked a horn,for balance,as the Fender had. The non-reverse design was better balanced, but still lacked the balance that a bass with a horn employed. The reverse Thunderbird remains among my favorite Gibson designs,and the non-reverse Thunderbird was the best design they had produced for many years to come.
 In the 70's,Gibson fell to copying aspects of the Fender bass,but fell short,as they used Maple construction,for the body,as well as the neck,and the tone and resonance fell short,due to the maple body,as well as the pickup designs they used. They also employed bolt-on method,to emulate Fender,but Gibson was always best as a fitted neck instrument,as Fender was always best as a bolt-on instrument. The Victory bass was the first all-out Fender emulated design,with the first time employing a horn design,for better balance. The problem was,that Gibson placed 2 steel bars in the neck,in an effort to strengthen the neck,which made the balance off again,and several notes would be swallowed up by the resonant frequency of the steel bars inlaid in the neck. Gibson used quarter-sawn wood in their instruments,as a rule,because quarter-sawn wood is usually strongest,in flexing. Maple is unique,in that it is stronger as a slab-cut,as Leo Fender used slab-cut Ski stock,to make his necks,as it was readily available in California,due to the huge Ski production industry there. Skis require a great amount of strength,in flexing,without breaking,and they had already determind the fact of strength in slab-cut maple.
 Now,with that brief history of Gibson bass design,I will next describe the new era of Gibson basses,the era I was involved with,in the next installment to be posted soon.
 With regards to all Gibson Bass players,collectors,and enthusiasts,
Phillip R. Jones

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Wow, this is exciting! Welcome Philip!

How did you find us? This board has the biggest Gibson collection in the world (Uwe has almost 100 Gibsons and Epis, all different (not for finishes but really different) and some prototypes and one offs), some big Gibson historians like Jules and just a lot of Gibson players. This board was made by the guys of the Gibson thread at another forum.

So welcome!

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
BTW: I would believe you when you'd stated that guitars outsell basses 10-1 or more. We sometimes have the opinion here Gibson just doesn't make the bass (Thunderbird with chrome pick ups, ...) the buyer wants. No offence of course.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Chris, I brought Phil here at gunpoint! All I had to do was say my usual: "Vee haff ze vvvays to make you cöntribüte to zis!" He also sold my long scale fretless LP Junior prototype and now the Korinabird to me, was the maker of my Super 400 acoustic bass etc.

Phil, thanks for (finally!!!) signing up!  :rimshot: Some real insight there, stuff new to me like the ski aspect of the Fender maple neck production. Or why a Victory - for all its qualities, I have a soft spot for these hunks - doesn't resonate as much as a good Fender P does, but sounds just a bit deader. Let the saga continue! Danke.

Guitars outsell basses 4:1? I thought the rate was much higher in favor of guitars (more the 10:1 Chris mentioned), especially if you count in all the acoustic stuff which doesn't really have a relevant parallel in the bass world or think of brands like our beloved Gibson where basses are indeed often dealt with as an afterthought. I think there are also a lot more people buying a guitar for interior design and memories of youth reasons then there are people that buy a bass for the same reasons.

Uwe
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 01:18:33 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
I am a history buff and thanks so much for sharing Phil.  I'm looking forward to your next episode!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Thank you for posting here, as Uwe has probably made you aware, there is a large following for Gibson basses.

My friend has a Blueshawk guitar and allways raves about it, did you have any dealings with the Blueshawk Guitar?

Did Gibson ever consider a bass version?

I built a bass version using G-3 Pickups (the switch was a pain to wire correctly)

Did you develop the Les Paul Standard Bass & TB pickups?
It's one of my favorite Gibson basses.

Also can you talk about the use of mahogany as a neck wood?

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
 Welcome Phil ! Lots of Gibson fans here, we love 'em warts and all !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Welcome, Philip, I look forward to hearing more.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com

Thank you for joining us!
 I look forward to hearing more from you, yours is indeed a rare viewpoint.
We really need to get that book put together.

We LOVE our Gibsons!  ;D
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
I had always dreamed of a Korina/Walnut Thunderbird. And now you made one!!!!

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: My work with Gibson Basses,during my years at Gibson Guitars-Part 1
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 12:32:33 PM »
Thanks Phil! Great stuff. Looking forward to learning more.

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 02:53:14 PM »
No Gibson Needs to make a Korina Thunderbird Reverse and Non-Reverse, Big Headstock, big tuners, with the tune-o-matic bridge, not those pot metal 3 pointers that bend and crack (no offense to anyone who likes these). Chrome/Nickel Pickups. Like a 60's reissue. Fender can duplicate their old basses and does a fantastic job at it. But I am a thunderbird man. Why doesn't Gibson???? They've made every possible kind of Les Paul but not a bird.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 03:06:21 PM »
If you want to talk about what Gibson ought to make, please start another thread.

Let's keep this thread confined to what Phil tells us about his years at Gibson.

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 03:47:36 PM »
Hello Phil! You have been up for discussion from time to time so it's nice to finally have you here. Interesting story. Can't wait for the rest. I recently bought a 2005 LP Standard Bass and it's great! I suspect you had something to do with it considering the prototypes for sale at Gruhns a few years ago (Uwe bought the fretless Double Cut EB-0 IIRC).

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 03:53:13 PM »
Phil!