Author Topic: The worst instrument you own but just can't get rid of.  (Read 551 times)

Blazer

The worst instrument you own but just can't get rid of.
« on: April 05, 2009, 05:35:52 PM »
Let's talk about the instrument you just couldn't get right with, the one that had you tear your hair out of in frustration and even more so when you realize that you just can't sell it on because of one reason or another.

Moderators please don't move this to the guitars section because it was my intention of starting a topic about lousy instruments whether they be guitars, basses, violins, drums, piano's whatever.

In my own case it's a guitar named "Misty"

The Misty (named after the Pokémon character) was my very first built where I did everything, routing the neck, doing the frets, everything. It also was a guitar from my own original design, I wanted a Firebird/Jazzmaster/Gibson RD hybrid and in that aspect it came out really good. I also really loved the way it felt and played, it has large scoops on both the front and back of the basswood body and the body also because of being made from basswood also was light as a feather and I nailed replicating the feel of the neck of my old strat

But I quickly found out that the Misty's sound wasn't at all what I expected it to be. I have since had this experience with several other guitars with basswood bodies. I don't like the sound I get with them. In the case of the Misty I tried everything: Dimarzio pickups, Duncan Pickups, EMG pickups, I never get it to sound right.

And there are two reasons why I cannot sell the Misty.

1. it's my first all self made guitar.
2. Nobody wants to buy a self made guitar no matter how good it is, everybody goes for the brands and the looks of more familiar models. This guitar in particular is too personal to me that nobody else would want it.

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
Re: The worst instrument you own but just can't get rid of.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 05:07:51 AM »
Save that for some psycho bitch fan who will keep asking you to

Play Misty For Me 

Sorry :rolleyes:

I've got one I can't sell. It's a guitar too--my first Gibson, a LP wannabe called a Sonex.
This is a very low end ax that Gibson only made from '81 to '83. Mine's an '83.
Some beginner would LOVE this ax but she's slow & has set up like cement from not playin' on her.
My Ibanez Flametop Sunburst Artist LP style double cutaway is way more beautiful & plays real nice but she's another guitar I should probly let go cuz she rarely gets touched either since I have a real gorgeous Classic Gibson Flametop Sunburst Les Paul that sounds & feels & plays as great as she looks!!!!!

nofi

Re: The worst instrument you own but just can't get rid of.
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 05:35:04 AM »
this is more like the best instrument i can't get rid of. my kramer/fender/etc p bass clone. a kramer body w/ fender neck and assorted parts from a few other basses i had lying around. a mongrel for sure but it is the best playing electric bass i have owned in many years. go figure. the neck had been holding up a bookshelve for a couple years when i put it into servive. still nice and straight. :o

it's a bass version of an old school 'rat rod'. plus it's black with a lovely pink pickguard. so build your own kids it's loads of fun. ;)