Author Topic: Desert Island Outpost...  (Read 844 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Desert Island Outpost...
« on: March 21, 2009, 07:11:46 PM »
Long ago, January 1942 in fact, a chap called Roy Plomley started a programme called Dessert Island Discs... the idea was to choose 8 records a luxury item and a book, to take with you to a dessert island - the format remained popular and still runs to this day...

Now how would it relate to us, here...?

Okay, how about this scenario... You would be supplied with a fridge (solar power being an agreed item) filled with libations of your choice (that never seemed to empty), a permanant satelite uplink to the LBO, and no escape...

You could take with you an Ipod with TEN CD's uploaded (only one per artist with a brief explanation as to why), an instrument of your choice (amps and cabs laid on, solar powered, of course) and 2 books (apparently the Bible and the Complete Works of Shakespeare are always available...), so what would be your choice...?

I'll start off...

Allman Brothers Band - At Filmore East (deluxe) - Duane and Berry and Dickie and Gregg and Butch and Jaimoe, playin' their hearts out... hittin' LOTS of notes...
Vangelis - Blade Runner soundtrack - "I've seen things you people would not believe..."
Foo Fighters - Foo Fighters - Alone/easy target just has meaning for me...
Sarah McLachlan - Fumblin' towards Ecstasy - got stuck here a whiles back, not sure if I made it out alive...
Deep Purple - Made In Japan - "I want everything louder than everything else"; the second greatest live album of all time...
Grand Funk Railroad - Live Album - mindless trash... love it...
Don Henley - Inside Job - damn it Rose, "there not here, there not coming"
Robert Johnson collection - sometimes you GET the blues...
Rush - T4E - just perfection...
Gustav Holst - Planet Suite - just to be played late at night when I'm feeling mellow...

Instrument would have to be my Ibanez V302 12 string, which was a 21st present from my parents - I'd e tune her and learn to play the blues like they oughta be played, when you're starvin', destitute, an' lonesome; don't need no amps, and I'd find a bottleneck or 2 in the fridge...

Dune by Frank Herbert - without any doubt, the greatest work of Science Fiction written, if I could write something considered half as good I'd be at peace...
Lord of the Rings (trilogy edition)- the fantasy equivalent of the above...

Well, just going for a walk round the Island to see what the tides brought in...

a Hebridean Island beach...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 07:28:23 PM by Slàinte mhor a h-uile là a chi 's nach fhaic...! »
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: Desert Island Outpost...
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 03:19:55 AM »
CDs:
The Last Waltz - The Band
Who's Next - The Who (Deluxe with live CD)
Modern Classics - Paul Weller
Weld - Neil Young
The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society - The Kinks
Mosely Shoals - Ocean Colour Scene
Ogden's Nut Gone Flake - The Small Faces
The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars - David Bowie
Moondance - Van Morisson
Consolers Of The Lonely - The Raconteurs

I left out my favourite Dutch band, cos you wouldn't know.

Rig:
'76 Thunderbird through a Hiwatt DR201 and Hiwat 410. Any repairmen on that Island?

Books:
De Avonden - Gerard Reve
Anything by - Herman Brusselmans

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 02:16:01 PM »
"Doug", take out the tenth choice and put in your "Flying-Dutchmen" as that is part of the fun, not something someone would recognise, what you like... Like Uwe posting about Me'Shell - it results in (maybe) people doing the research and occasionally making a discovery that makes a difference to them...

... and in honour of your founding membership of NWODHM...

Some THUNDERBIRD pilots returning from drooling at the world only remaining flying example of a #1 Sabre-Jet, based at Duxford, UK... yes, the worlds most succesful "Doug Fyghter"... a 10/1 kill ratio against the superior Mig 15...

Repairman would be on hand, a-la-LOST...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 02:20:09 PM »
My Dutch top 10 then, in random order:

Herman Brood & His Wild Romance - Cha Cha Live
Daryll-Ann - D/A Live
Johan - Pergola
Supersub - Window Shopping
Moke - Shorland
Ceasar - No Rest For The Alonely
Sweet d'Buster - Gigs
Cuby & the Blizzards - Groeten uit Grollo
Bettie Serveert - Palomine
Do The Undo - Do The Undo

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 02:21:47 PM »
oops... given myself lots of research...  ;D

Where can I download your stuff...?