Author Topic: And THIS is how you destroy your own career...  (Read 752 times)

Blazer

And THIS is how you destroy your own career...
« on: March 16, 2009, 03:36:46 PM »

This is former Belgian TV personality Erik Hartman.

Hartman was the host of a Talk show called "Boemerang" (The Dutch spelling of "Boomerang") It was kinda like Jerry Springer's show but earlier.

The show was an instant hit and Hartman became a celebrity in the low countries, until the evening where the guests on his program were people who were duped because of medical mistakes. And as such were left with medical condition, disabilities and what have you. Among them was a man who had had a throat operation that went awry, that man as a result of that had a very weird voice and Hartman couldn't resist a little chuckle which he quickly disguised as a cough when hearing the guy speak.

But the pressure of him trying to remain serious and knowing that it was bad to laugh at his guests got to him, he cracked up every time the man with the weird voice spoke up, no matter what he tried, there was no stopping it.

And the worst thing was that millions were watching it happen.

After that disaster, Hartman was fired and faded into obscurity. He still is remembered only because of laughing at his guests.

Which is good though because...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_De_Gloria
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 03:55:03 PM by Blazer »

Rocker949

Re: And THIS is how you destroy your own career...
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 05:57:46 PM »
I had read about this but I thought the whole thing was a joke.  The show wasn't serious was it?  Not knowing Dutch, I still don't understand exactly what went on. 

Blazer

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 06:45:58 PM »
I had read about this but I thought the whole thing was a joke.  The show wasn't serious was it?  Not knowing Dutch, I still don't understand exactly what went on. 

Click the final link in my post...  ;)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 07:03:17 AM »
The bad thing is: In this day and age it wouldn't be surprising if it actually had happened. TV regularly squeezes under even the lowest thresholds.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...