Author Topic: What exotic or unusual Gibson trinkets are you hiding...?  (Read 20291 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: What exotic or unusual Gibson trinkets are you hiding...?
« Reply #75 on: March 22, 2009, 11:10:41 PM »

The (temp) name is a Scottish expression, loosely translates as great health for when I see you and when I don't - the most common one is Slainte Mhath (slaaansh vaaa) meaning good health but commonly interpreted as "cheers"...  ;)

Maybe that's what you claim it means, but I put it into a translator and it came out as "Angus how are y'going to get 48,000,000 kilts into the van?"

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2009, 01:10:47 PM »
Oh My Gawd... maybe closer to butcher twins than brothers...  8)

That bass is going SUB ZERO with icicles on...

I wonder if his original EB3 ever re-surfaced...?

Like playing, only got back to kit building about a year back - last finished were a minature Orion (2001) about an inch in length, a TSR2 (1/72 - recently got the 1/48 - this was, sort of, Concordes sister - the british govt (rumour has it) took a massive back-hander to buy the F1/11 and took the extreme action of shooting the only flying example to very small pieces on a gunnery range - no joke - 2 still exist, in museums, and the RAF still smart about this to this day - probably the last truly British military aircraft, and a beauty to boot...), a minature Valkyre, a minature TU144... a 1/48 Typhoon (Eurofighter - beautiful to see in flight) is in hand, and a BEA Viscount (first thing I flew on in the early 60's) - future plans are an internally lit NCC1701D (custom), the BIG Revell Saturn V and a Catalina (a personal favourite - a flying example is based near London and makes regular show appearances - looking out for a good Sabre Jet to make up in RAF colours... oops, did I go off thread...  :mrgreen:

forgot a 1/72 Concorde..... NO, GET AWAY FROM ME WITH THAT WHITE JACKET... I DON'T WANT TO GO BACK TO THAT LITTLE WHITE ROOM...
  Mixing aviation and basses has  along history here so I don't believe we are off topic yet. Jimmy's original much modded white EB3 has gone missing without a trace, It was stolen from John Birch's shop ( I have my own theory on this Maybe Birch disposed of Jimmy's EB3 so Jim would be forced to play a JB replacement ?) my friends in the UK tell me it has never surfaced, and believe me they have been looking for it.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 01:48:43 PM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2009, 02:04:47 PM »
Ken we may be closer than you think ! I am also Scottish. My mothers maiden name is Scott, My fathers Dasson (derived from Dawson the name was changed as Dawsons moved across the continent) So welcome my butcher twin !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2009, 03:54:26 PM »
Damn, Dave, ya got me bang to rights...

Bro' Scott, as long as Mark never catches any of us in "Highland Dress" we should be safe...  :mrgreen:

another Bon(ny) Scott...

I have records of my grandfather shipping into NY pre and post WW1, mind you, a major portion of the USofA have Celtic ancestry...

Scott - any specific aviation history or interest...?

(Uwe - F104-"G for Germany, ya...?" remember that gem...?)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2009, 04:55:15 PM »
Damn, Dave, ya got me bang to rights...

Bro' Scott, as long as Mark never catches any of us in "Highland Dress" we should be safe...  :mrgreen:

another Bon(ny) Scott...

I have records of my grandfather shipping into NY pre and post WW1, mind you, a major portion of the USofA have Celtic ancestry...

Scott - any specific aviation history or interest...?

(Uwe - F104-"G for Germany, ya...?" remember that gem...?)
My Mothers grands emigrated in the late 1800's I think. Well planes are like bases to me never saw one I didn't like. WWI is a big interest, as is WWII; the Luftwaffe, RAF and USA aircraft all fascinate me. One from each ? The Me262, FW 190, Hawker Typhoon(love the Hurrie though) and for the USA the F4U Corsair and P47 Thunderbolt. Another area I like is the Thopmson Trophy races post WWII dominated by Cook Cleleand and his F2G Super Corsairs

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #80 on: March 23, 2009, 11:07:12 PM »
Holland used F104s too, but no special version I guess. The F104s only had one weekness and that was they all crashed. I believe we gave the ones which didn't fell out of the sky to Turkey.

After that we had the F16s, but also the little Northrop F5. And of that plane we had a special Dutch versio, the NF5, in which N stands for Netherlands.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2009, 06:04:35 AM »
It was a plane built to impress at airshows in the sunny skies of California where it showed great handling (very often leading pilots to do things they should not). It had no business flying in foggy soggy Northern Europe. Those pilots who didn't die in it remember it fondly - "motorcycle of the skies".
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2009, 05:39:37 PM »
"Anybody vant to buy a Shtar-fighter...!.?.! ... then buy an acre of gvround, und vait...!" (RIP Bob Calvert)

... and what a sound they made, too,  and a MONSTER of an afterburner - probably never been a more "ROCK'N'ROLL" aircraft...

"Doug" -there is an astonishing F16 demonstration pilot flying for the Dutch AF too, unless I am mistaken...

Scott, gonna try and dig out some relevant shots, though no ME262's, that's a cert...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2009, 11:35:13 PM »
Hmm.. I don't know any famous Dutch F16 fighters, but I'm not an expert.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 25, 2009, 05:12:31 PM »
"Piranha" - There was definitely a DAF F16 displaying at the RIAT show in 2007... great display - I may be wrong, but if I remember correctly the DVD of the show (yes, it's that  :sad: round here) has footage of most of his display from within the cockpit...

Scott...

Not a great shot but this IS a Thunderbolt and a Corsair flying together at a show at Duxford in 2006 - both based there (in Suffolk, UK) - one of the biggest aircraft museums in the UK...

Scott and Mark - If I'm right, had we been in the same small town, we would have all been in the same class in the same year at school... well how about that...
Would have been the class of ...'75-'76? don't know how that all works... I hit sixteen during the summer of '75, and I presume Scott too, and Mark just before Xmas '74...?
Anyone else of that vintage in here...?

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2009, 11:45:11 PM »
I was born in '76, so no;)

DAF F16? As in the car/truck brand DAF? Of course some Dutch companies made parts for the F16 as part of the deal. We buy expensive planes and the US orders Dutch stuff.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #86 on: March 26, 2009, 07:35:08 AM »

Ken,

That's a Corsair and  an F6F Hellcat.................

Back to school for you!

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 26, 2009, 11:14:41 AM »
Thanks for spanking the limey right, Ms Rommel! Navy and Marine Corps TBolts were kind of rare ... Which tells you one thing: All Brits are either gay (like Montgomery), bad generals with catastrophic military decisions (like Montgomery), have no friends (like Montgomery), are disliked by Americans (like Montgomery) or can't even tell a Hellcat from a Thunderbolt (like Ken!). Which is just as well for people who thought the Defiant (= target practice for the Luftwaffe) was a good idea!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: (insert naz(t)i laugh here)

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #88 on: March 26, 2009, 11:42:00 AM »
 ;D

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #89 on: March 26, 2009, 12:00:31 PM »
Glad I wasn't drinking anything!

Whoa...................

I see smoke on the horizon, lets go find the crash site and put out the fire............ ;)

P.S. you'd better hope Scott Godofthunder59 doesn't see this, you've slandered his fave plane!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...