Author Topic: A nice version of Zappa's Idiot Bastard Son  (Read 682 times)

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: A nice version of Zappa's Idiot Bastard Son
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 10:42:25 PM »
For a second there I thought you were calling Dweezil names.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 05:10:33 AM »
I have really fond memories of "Were Only In It For The Money", Lumpy Gravy & Freak Out. My brother was drafted during Vietnam and went overseas to serve in the army. He left behind his record collection. I was around 10 or twelve and find those Zappa records with those really ugly guys dressed up as women and those really weird songs made quite an impression. Listen to that song floods with so many memories of those times growing up in the early late 60's & early 70's. He also went to School at Kent State close to the time of the shootings (Watchman).

His record collection formed many of my musical tastes (blame him) - Electric Spinach, The Fuggs, Screaming Jay Hawkins are few I remember. My mother discovered us listening to them deemed them inappropriate and sold them all at a garage sale. My brother was so angry after he came back.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 07:18:30 AM »
His record collection formed many of my musical tastes (blame him) - Electric Spinach, The Fuggs, Screaming Jay Hawkins are few I remember. My mother discovered us listening to them deemed them inappropriate and sold them all at a garage sale. My brother was so angry after he came back.

I had every one of those albums :)
That was definately a unique time for music. A lot of things from that era are still my favorites. Others I listen to today and wonder WTF was I thinking :-[
I got to see Frank and the Mothers back in 68 or 69 and the show was near impossible to describe. It was one of those "you had to be there moments".
As I recall, they didn't actually play one complete song from beginning to end. Frank was narrating {and playing } the history / evolution of music and society. Absolutely an outstanding performance. I've never seen or heard anyone else attempt to do anything even vaguely similar.
I am not adept enough at the use of adjectives to describe that show and the level of talent and weirdness that I witnessed, but I think that it could very well be where the term "shock and awe" was born. :o
Rick