Author Topic: pickup repair question  (Read 1797 times)

ramone57

• View Profile
pickup repair question
« on: March 06, 2009, 05:47:48 AM »
the height adjustment tabs for the triumph pup I just got were damaged during shipping and I'm wondering if anybody has had a similar experience.  could the tabs be re-attached to the cover using epoxy or superglue?  the seller told me they might have another cover, but since the pup is potted in epoxy, is replacing the cover a viable option?  here's some pics of the damage.

thanks!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: pickup repair question
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 07:13:10 AM »
That can be a tough fix.  I would try epoxy if I were in your situation.  Another cover would be brutal to install.  Another way would be to make a metal plate the same size as the footprint of the pup with an ear and epoxy glue it onto the bottom, then tap a threaded hole in the ear.  It's definitely fixable.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 08:10:29 AM »
That can be a tough fix.  I would try epoxy if I were in your situation.  Another cover would be brutal to install.  Another way would be to make a metal plate the same size as the footprint of the pup with an ear and epoxy glue it onto the bottom, then tap a threaded hole in the ear.  It's definitely fixable.

+1

metal plate  = good idea

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 08:54:25 AM »
that's a great idea, and one I hadn't considered.   :P

thanks for the suggestion!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 09:10:36 AM »
I doubt epoxy would hold, I'd go with the backing plate idea.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 09:49:18 AM »
Go for the plate. You will pull your hair out(if you have any left) trying and retrying the epoxy.Id make the  plate go under the other screw posts , I would thread a hole under the  solid  thread inserts   and screw those on also . It will give you an accurate reference to where to tap the repair hole an make things stable . you may need a longer screw(dont we all) :mrgreen:
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 10:52:00 AM »
ok, it will be the plate!  I have plenty of hair to pull out, but I'm saving it for when my retirement investments are completely worthless.     :sad:

and yeah, a longer screw is in order!  ;D

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 04:39:51 PM »
ok, it will be the plate!  I have plenty of hair to pull out, but I'm saving it for when my retirement investments are completely worthless.     :sad:

and yeah, a longer screw is in order!  ;D

I'd definitely make the plate so all 3 screws thread through it.

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 09:08:54 PM »
I bought the materials to fabricate a base plate today.  the thickest sheet of steel I could find was 16 gauge.  I think it will be thick enough to tap a decent thread for the adjustment screws.  this is a first for me, so any advice is welcomed.  I'm kind of excited to give this a shot, I feel like a big kid now! ;D

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 06:09:46 AM »
I love fixing things and making them usable again.  It's very rewarding in the end!  That's actually why I like rehabbing a bass as much as building one from scratch.

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 08:06:49 AM »
yeah,what he said! :mrgreen:
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 08:26:55 PM »
Actually, if the holes are at the edge of the plate, you could probably just drill the plate and snap some of those folded-over sheet metal nuts over the holes.  No tapping required.   Just a thought...the sheet metal nuts would also impose a thin layer of metal between the plate and the pickup.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 04:45:16 AM »
Actually, if the holes are at the edge of the plate, you could probably just drill the plate and snap some of those folded-over sheet metal nuts over the holes.  No tapping required.   Just a thought...the sheet metal nuts would also impose a thin layer of metal between the plate and the pickup.

that's a good idea, too, but the tabs aren't very big, so I'm not sure there's enough room for sheet metal nuts.  I haven't seen the route for the pickup yet, either.  I tend to take my time when trying something new, with a few practice runs to try to learn how to do stuff right.  I'll keep it mind if I run into trouble with the taps.  thanks!