Author Topic: Curious about Chisonic jazz pickups  (Read 1589 times)

sirbassalot

• View Profile
Curious about Chisonic jazz pickups
« on: March 01, 2009, 10:39:40 AM »
I was listening to the sound clips of the Jo with chisonics and think I fell in love. Are they available in a skyline Jo? I'm guessing usa only but not sure. I'm also curious about the deign,  the single coil chi's seem to sound fuller or rounder than the Fralins or Lakland single coils. I know the decade comes with them but I prefer the pickup location on a jazz I think  as I'm afraid of the decade sounding too muddy  but I'm totally open to opinions from anyone who's played or owns basses with chisonics as I never  heard them in person.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Re: Curious about Chisonic jazz pickups
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 01:20:38 PM »
I have them on my decade, but are active humbuckers with single coil mode. They are HOT & LOUD. Dail them down and you get a nice burpy clean tone from the bridge. Boost the bass on the neck and you get almost mudbucker tones. The Single coil ones should be similar as far as being super high output.

jmcgliss

• View Profile
Re: Curious about Chisonic jazz pickups
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 08:36:38 PM »
I believe Lakland will reroute a Skyline Jazz for ChiSonics, for an upcharge.  The tone is more full range than typical single coils, which to my ears improves D and G string volume with the E and A so that chords and double stops are more clear and musical -  not at all muddy. 

This is a slight de-rail, but the new short-scale Decade is the best use of Chi-Sonics I've heard yet (coming from an owner of an early USA Decade and a Dark Star'd Guild SFII.
RD Artist w/ Victory headstock (sold)
2009 Epiphone Thunderbird IV silverburst (mods pending)
2005 Lakland Decade Dark Star | 2009 55-02 Chi-Sonic
2005 Dark Star P-Bass | 1986 Pedulla Buzz |
Eden heads with various 12's and 10's | Ampeg B-15N