Author Topic: African VS Hounduran Mahogany  (Read 898 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
African VS Hounduran Mahogany
« on: February 27, 2009, 04:55:22 PM »
 So I bought this body blank off ebay listed as Honduran mahogany, turns out it is African Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. here is a picture showing the  difference. African is pinkish brown very open grain, Honduran is redish brown tight but open grain. The Honduran is on the right.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 08:28:50 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: African VS Hounduran Mahogany
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 05:47:51 PM »
African mahogany is khaya. Limba is korina.

Not all african is that open, and not all honduran is that tight. You can't always tell them apart.

If the price was right, I'd live with it. It looks like a nice plank. According to the guy at Gallery Hardwoods, what's sold as honduran hasn't really been honduran for years anyway, it's really big leaf mahogany.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 05:59:21 PM »
AHHHHHHHHHHH your right Dave I've confused myself ! Limba is Korina
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 08:21:03 PM »
I built my NR body out of African - cost was a major factor for me.  I spent an hour pulling rough boards out of the stack sorted them by weight and then went throught the light ones tapping the boards with a screwdriver handle until I found one that I thought had a nice ring.

I have a hard time ordering wood mail order even though it means I pay more locally.  I just want to hold the wood and feel the weight and hear how it sounds - not that it accounts for much as I think I'm half deaf ;)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 05:35:21 AM »
The blank I bought on the right I bought localy from Pittsford Lumber, cost me $69 bucks, I'll just go there from now on.