Author Topic: Tinted Windows  (Read 1531 times)

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Tinted Windows
« on: February 26, 2009, 11:57:38 PM »
Cheap Trick, Fountains of Wayne, Smashing Pumpkins, and Hanson get drunk, get busy, and have a baby. What does the kid sound like? Like Tinted Windows... I love that three old guys and a Hanson can get together and come up with something so cool and timeless (IMHO, of course).

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: Tinted Windows
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 09:23:53 AM »
I think I just turned on the Disney channel!  :mrgreen:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 09:41:59 AM »
Should have called themselves Reap Chick.  :bored:
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Rocker949

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 10:58:25 AM »
This may be even more bizarre than George Clinton's attempt to go country.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 12:34:00 PM »
Wow, tough room.  :mrgreen:

I think it has a great power-pop vibe not unlike The Knack or early Cheap Trick. I can see the comparison to more kiddie pop fare, but that's what's intriguing to me. The youngest guy in the band is 26 and the others are quite a bit older than that. It's showing the kiddies how power-pop is really done.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 12:56:26 PM »
Me likey...   ;D
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 12:59:17 PM »
It's not badly crafted, just soooooooooooo generic. But I've never been much of a Power Pop fan, which is why Cheap Trick's charm has always eluded me as well. What this track lacks is a bit of Johnny Thunders & the Heartbreakers "dirt under the fingernails", it's too clean and spotless.

Uwe    
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 01:08:30 PM »
Well, I decided to add them to my friends on MySpace.  Phil Miller, the old guitarist for the Bun E. Carlos Explosion, is an old club mate from the bar circuit days.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 01:11:41 PM »
It's not badly crafted, just soooooooooooo generic. But I've never been much of a Power Pop fan, which is why Cheap Trick's charm has always eluded me as well. What this track lacks is a bit of Johnny Thunders & the Heartbreakers "dirt under the fingernails", it's too clean and spotless.

Uwe    

I think it helps to have seen Cheap Trick in the early years, right before their first album came out.  They were brutally loud.  One of their big club songs was "Ballad of Richard Speck", which had to be retitled for the record.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 01:17:32 PM »
But I've never been much of a Power Pop fan, which is why Cheap Trick's charm has always eluded me as well. What this track lacks is a bit of Johnny Thunders & the Heartbreakers "dirt under the fingernails", it's too clean and spotless.    

It's funny you put it that way, Uwe. The dirt is what defines the line between a Cheap Trick and a Heartbreakers (not that they couldn't cross over occasionally), so I can see where you wouldn't be attracted if the dirt's not there. I'm interested to see what they do with a whole album (due in April). Maybe some dirt will make it through to a few tracks.  ;D

And Gary, would you be surprised if I said you were one of the guys I was thinking of when I posted this item? I figured you'd like it.  ;)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 01:20:43 PM »
Nice to see that the Ohio Express has reunited under a different name after all these years.  :mrgreen:

-- Dave (ducking for cover)