Author Topic: Chimp woman  (Read 6445 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile

rahock

• View Profile
Re: Chimp woman
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2009, 09:13:22 AM »
In high school I had a buddy with a little spider monkey with a favorite trick of throwing his poop at visitors. He could only plan ahead and stock up a short supply because his cage was kept pretty clean. He had the forsight to plan, but often lacked supply. He was more of an "in the moment" kind of guy and liked to poop right in his little hand and toss the fresh stuff at you. Very effective ;D
Rick

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2009, 09:46:35 AM »
He's probably a state legislator by now. And well-qualified for the job.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2009, 11:43:48 AM »
What scares the heck out of me are people who try to keep dangerous wild animals as quisi pets. Your just asking for trouble at some point.

The ironic part is everyone is scared of gorillas which are probable the most peacefull & gentle of the primates and most think of chimps as cute funny humanized monkeys.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2009, 12:14:18 PM »
I think part of the image of chimps as cute came from J. Fred Muggs, the chimp who appeared on The Today Show with Dave Garroway in the 1950s. Eventually that went sour.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2009, 12:25:34 PM »
He's probably a state legislator by now. And well-qualified for the job.

Oh you are setting me up to make some serious wise ass comments here ;D But....I'm gonna pass.  This is way too easy to be the right thing to do ;D
Rick

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2009, 12:48:30 PM »
What scares the heck out of me are people who try to keep dangerous wild animals as quisi pets. Your just asking for trouble at some point.

The ironic part is everyone is scared of gorillas which are probable the most peacefull & gentle of the primates and most think of chimps as cute funny humanized monkeys.

Several years ago, my sister in Southern California had a neighbor with a pet ocelot. For those not familiar , they are the smallest jungle cat. I don't know how big they get, maybe 40-45 lbs. It is illeagle to have one as a pet now, but at the time, it was a new thing and there was nothing to prohibit having one as a pet. They look sort of like a little jaguar, absolutely beautiful coat and a cute , lovable little kitty face. Actually, they are lovable as a little kitty in most ways and as smart as they get.
However, they have a serious case of wild instincts and when the neighbor on the other sides doberman wouldn't stop barking, the cute little ocelot hopped over the fence and promptly bit his throat out, and then hopped the fence back home and took a nap. He was taken away to Kitty Island (a place where kittys who do stuff like that have to go).
An ocelot is so fast it could do the same thing to a human in the blink of an eye. They intinctively go for the quick kill of the throat and when hit just right , you bleed out in seconds. If it weren't declawed they could tear you to shreds just playing kitty games.
Rick

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2009, 01:12:05 PM »
I think the nutso old broad was doing the monkey.  I don't want to, but the more you hear - and they all seem to go in the same direction - the more it seems that all that is missing from the story is the line "After their bath together, the ape and the woman would do it." 

And now her friend is going to be a disfigured brain damaged probably blind resident of a disability home.  Some friend.

I think animals belong outside.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2009, 01:44:32 PM »
The story of Moe

http://www.esquire.com/features/chimpanzee-attack-0409-2
In time, as Moe grew, so did his notoriety. Already an honorary citizen of West Covina — he'd earned that distinction at the time of the trial — Moe attended ribbon-cutting ceremonies and fundraisers, once manning a kissing booth at an Actors and Others for Animals event in Burbank with Doris Day and Lucille Ball.

Despite the ferocity of the attack, when the paramedics arrived, St. James was still conscious. His face and body, however, were mutilated beyond recognition. Where his mouth, lips, and nose had been there was only a bloody hole. Where his right eye had been there was a pit. Where his fingers had been he had only stumps or simply gaps. "I had no idea a chimpanzee was capable of doing that to a human," Kern County fire captain Curt Merrell, who was among the first on the scene, told the Los Angeles Times. "It looked like a grizzly-bear attack."

Now the really scary part - Moe escapes- 

"I want to let you know I went by Moe's facility, and he's not in it."

"What do you mean he's not in it?" LaDonna said.

Moe, Maples said, had disappeared.

The couple sped to the ranch. They were met by Joe Camp, Maples's partner, who told them Moe had somehow broken off six steel welds from the cage, allowing him to open a sliding door and escape. By the time St. James and LaDonna saw the enclosure, it had been repaired and cleaned. LaDonna was perplexed. The cage was spotless. There were no blankets, there was none of Moe's stool. It was as if he had never been there. She wanted to see his stool, how he had slept the night before. She wanted to see what his thinking was.

A frantic search began. For weeks, Jungle Exotics workers and volunteer searchers combed the dense brush around the facility on foot and in 4x4 vehicles. St. James and LaDonna drove through the hills in their mini-van calling out for Moe. Bloodhounds were brought in. Helicopters flew overhead. The search was a media sensation locally and drew national and international press attention as well. The couple waited for news-and worried. A month went by and still no trace of Moe was found. The search was officially called off last July 31.

They still do not know where Moe is.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2009, 01:50:55 PM »
Chimps in Africa fight back-

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/article840838.ece

At least eight children have died in the past seven years in Uganda and Tanzania after being taken by chimpanzees, and a further eight injured. The children were found with limbs and other parts of their bodies chewed off.

Primate experts blame deforestation and human encroachment on the chimpanzees’ habitat for the more aggressive behaviour but are divided on whether the animals are defending their territory or seeking a replacement food source.
Deforestation, an increase in the human population and a change in agriculture that has seen crops grown right up to the edge of the forests has, she said, both destroyed the chimps’ habitat and brought them much closer to human beings. The attacks in Uganda have been documented by Michael Gavin, a conservation biologist, in an eight-month study reported in the January edition of BBC Wildlife Magazine.

Dr Gavin said that the technique used by the chimps to kill or maim the children mirrors the way they tear apart other prey, suggesting that they snatched the human young to eat. “In most cases they bite off the limbs first before disemboweling them, just as they would the red colobus monkey which is one of their favourite prey,” he said.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2009, 01:51:46 PM »
So are you saying that's the end and there ain't no moe ;D
Rick
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 01:57:27 PM by rahock »

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2009, 01:57:04 PM »
Curly was my favorite. :P

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2009, 04:29:52 PM »
Don't even start me on killer dolphins...
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2009, 05:27:50 PM »
Curly was my favorite. :P

Moe was better at throwing pies.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site