Author Topic: New Musicman basses  (Read 5106 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: New Musicman basses
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 11:21:21 AM »
Peavey?  ??? ??? ???

It's a bass version of the MusicMan Albert Lee guitar. If Peavey has any shape like that, it would be copied from MusicMan, not the other way around. Wouldn't be the first time that happened (EVH).
  It reminds me of this ! 1983 Peavey Razor 
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 12:07:36 PM »
I'm pretty sure that monstrosity had nothing to do with the inspiration for the Albert Lee guitar.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 12:22:57 PM »
Never said it did but the cutaways look veeeeeeeeeeeeery similar.  :rolleyes:
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2009, 10:27:28 PM »
I like that retro-futuristic styling of the Big Al. It's the first MusicMan bass that appeals to me (the toilet seat pickguard was always a turn-off). It's nice that they kept the signature headstock and were not tempted to redesign it to match the body, like they did with the Bongo.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 10:32:43 PM by ilan »
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2009, 10:34:54 PM »
I'd like the bass, the guitar, and some of Big Al's talent. That's not too much to ask, is it?

Blazer

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2009, 10:37:59 AM »
I'd like the bass, the guitar, and some of Big Al's talent. That's not too much to ask, is it?

Mwah, it depends on which context you're talking about. I have several "Tribute to..." albums on which Albert Lee is guesting and his constant noodling is getting tedious at times. The guy played win Eric Clapton's band and I'm pretty sure that Slowhand, the master of unstated solos would have given him a couple of times on not to overplay but Albert Lee, killer guitarist as he is DOES overplay a lot, to the moment that I'm about to turn the music off.

Blazer

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2009, 10:50:13 AM »
If Peavey has any shape like that, it would be copied from MusicMan, not the other way around. Wouldn't be the first time that happened (EVH).

This is a Musicman Van Halen

This is a Peavey Wolfgang

This is a Fender Wolfgang

The Peavey and the Fender look alike, no doubt (although they aren't an exact match) but the musicman is a completely different looking guitar. Much stubbier and rounder than the Peavey and the Fender.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2009, 11:28:57 AM »
Mwah, it depends on which context you're talking about. I have several "Tribute to..." albums on which Albert Lee is guesting and his constant noodling is getting tedious at times. The guy played win Eric Clapton's band and I'm pretty sure that Slowhand, the master of unstated solos would have given him a couple of times on not to overplay but Albert Lee, killer guitarist as he is DOES overplay a lot, to the moment that I'm about to turn the music off.

LOL! I agree, he does play a lot of notes. But compared to most of the music you post here, I just have to laugh when you complain that he noodles and overplays. To each his own.

To me, it's all about whether or not I like the songs. Nothing more, nothing less.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2009, 11:34:06 AM »
The Peavey and the Fender look alike, no doubt (although they aren't an exact match) but the musicman is a completely different looking guitar. Much stubbier and rounder than the Peavey and the Fender.

Peavey changed the shape to avoid potential trademark issues. There's still no doubt where the Peavey design came from.

Fender must think someone still cares about EVH. Maybe so. Maybe there's a new generation of kids who like pointless shredding.

nofi

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2009, 08:29:41 PM »
there is always a new audience for pointless shredding. most of them grow up, though. btw i would love to hear one of clapton's 'unstated' solos, it would have to be better than the ones i can hear. ;D

Blazer

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2009, 08:54:49 PM »
there is always a new audience for pointless shredding. most of them grow up, though. btw i would love to hear one of clapton's 'unstated' solos, it would have to be better than the ones i can hear. ;D
God, that a typo can do so much...  :rolleyes:

"Sunshine of your love" must be one of Slowhand's best solos, he plays enough but never too much.

Eddie Van Halen has cited Clapton as a major influence on his playing and never is that more evident in "When it's love" where EVH quotes Clapton's solo of "Sunshine"

I love this solo, easily one of EVH's best.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 09:01:58 PM by Blazer »

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2009, 09:53:40 PM »

"Sunshine of your love" must be one of Slowhand's best solos, he plays enough but never too much.

True. And that was his high point -- 42 years ago.  :P

Eddie Van Halen has cited Clapton as a major influence on his playing...

That explains a lot.  :rolleyes:

Blazer

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2009, 05:15:47 AM »
True. And that was his high point -- 42 years ago.  :P
Well if you want something more recent. I always thought that the solo on this song also was one of his best.

That explains a lot.  :rolleyes:
EVH is one of the best examples of taking influences and developing into a completely different musician.

bdgotoh

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2009, 11:46:10 PM »
Here's a couple more pics of the Big Al bass to check out.  The second pic is Sterling Ball playing a fancy one with a flame maple top. 

I really like the look and have one on order, blue metallic with a rosewood fingerboard.  I'm looking forward to hearing the single coils, I had an HS Bongo for awhile and I absolutely loved the neck single coil pickup but it sounded so much better than the bridge pickup that I sold the bass. 

That Peavey does look similar around the cutaways.  I also think it looks a little bit like G&L's Interceptor bass which is a favorite of mine.  I have to give them credit for making a bass that looks different in this era of F*nder copies (not that I don't have some myself). 

The Anniversary basses look very nice but I'm not interested.  With the minimal forearm contour, the long reach to first position, and the neck diving due to where the upper strap button is located it's just not the right design for me.  It's the same problems I have with ASAT basses. 

« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 12:02:49 AM by bdgotoh »

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2009, 08:40:02 AM »
Ooh, I want the black/maple one. And a matching AL guitar. I'm glad the Big Al will be regular production and not just an anniversary issue.

Thanks for the pic of Sterling Ball.  :)