Author Topic: tinting an already applied clear coat  (Read 2389 times)

poomwah

• View Profile
Re: tinting an already applied clear coat
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 07:28:29 PM »
well, thanks everybody, but this project just got officially scrapped :[  The bass seemed quiet but I thought that was just the "way it was".  well, its grown even more quiet, the tone controls no longer do anything, and theres only one pickup working, and that's only if I have the blend knob in one specific position that is not easy to get the knob into.  So tomorrow morning, its going back to the store.  It will be a week tomorrow since I got it, and I've barely played it :[

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 05:45:47 AM »
Gibson Cherry is a dye to the wood. I doubt you can recreate that over another finish

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 06:39:23 AM »
Gibson Cherry is a dye to the wood. I doubt you can recreate that over another finish

I refinished an Epi  solid body Cherry  bass years ago to do a stained sunburst finish. That is one tough finish to remove. I can't even remember how many times I applied  stripper, scraped and bleached that thing . I was using all commercial old school heavy duty stuff that was full of cancer causing , brain damaging chemicals and are no longer available, and  nothing cut like it was supposed to. The color really penetrates the wood and the finish is thick enough to stop a freakin' bullet. Lucky I didn't suffer any drain bamage ;)
Rick