Author Topic: Greco Birds...  (Read 10984 times)

rockinrayduke

Re: Greco Birds...
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2008, 03:26:21 PM »
Sorry, that's what I get for not reading the descrption first. Didn't notice 2 holes in the back of the neck either. Yuck.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2008, 03:49:53 PM »
I think this came up at Jules too.....here's a paste of my what I came up with...

By my best measurements using Dave's guidelines the distance is 16 11/16ths inches from the fretboard side of the nut to the center of the 12th fret. Should = 33 6/16ths. My 76's are an even 34" Funny 'cause that isn't much of a difference yet the Greco just "feels" smaller and seems to have less string tension too.The neck is 1 3/4" at the nut vs 1 1/2" for a 76. While I really like this bass for its different sound and feel and will be playing shows with it in ' 08, for me its not quite as good as any of my 76's for either sound or ease of playing.......I'm very spoiled 

BTW the black one on Ebay right now is nasty.........
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2008, 04:34:59 PM »
To summarize?

By my best measurements of Dave's nut. Should = 33 6/16ths. My are an even 34" Funny 'cause that isn't much of a difference yet just "feels" smaller and seems to have less tension too. The neck is 1 3/4" at the nut vs 1 1/2" for a 76. While I really like this for its different sound and feel and will be playing shows with it in ' 08, for me its not quite as good as any of my 76's for either sound or ease of playing.......I'm very spoiled 

BTW the black one on Ebay right now is nasty........

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2008, 05:20:13 PM »
Unfortunately, the unmagic words were there - "neck has a slight twist"

He was honest about it, though, and pics seem to verify it.

Not that I'd recommend that nasty black Greco on eBay, but I sold a black 77 'bird to Mark that has a more severe twist than that one but it doesn't actually affect playability as much as you'd think. That's one area where the three point bridge comes in handy. Lift one side. lower the other, and your strings are even with the fretboard (though it looks a little wonky sighting down the neck)!

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2008, 05:26:56 PM »

George,

That's an a**kickin' 77!  I took it to Mike Lull for a little tweak you'd really have to look to see it, plays like a dream  ;)   
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2008, 07:44:20 PM »
That one does play nice Mark! Actually, all of yours play nice, but that one was pretty sweet!
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2008, 08:44:03 PM »
Interesting. MattK's is 33 7/8, but Mark's at 33 3/8"is very close to Rickenbacker scale. My fingers can tell that big a difference.

Thanks for measuring.

MattK

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2008, 09:02:06 PM »
Hah. I'll re-measure mine tomorrow. I did it in a hurry and I might've gotten it wrong.  ;D

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2008, 09:24:41 AM »
I went back and re-read the thread at Jules........this is how Dave suggested I measure the scale length at that time.

"Mark, you measure from the inside edge of the nut (the fretboard side) to the top center of the 12th fret, and multiply by 2."

Just so we're on the same page........ ;D
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 10:26:12 AM by TBird1958 »

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2008, 10:09:04 AM »
Sorry, I was thinking it was a thread at the departed DP3. I should have thought to look at Jules' place.

MattK

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2008, 09:00:15 AM »
Mark's measurements are correct. .......And I need to learn how to use a tape measure.  ;D

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2008, 09:30:53 AM »
Thanks, Matt. Unless someone comes forward with a measured 34" scale Greco 'bird, it looks like they're really 33 3/8". Very close to Rick scale tonality combined with Gibson looks.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.brooksbassguitars.com
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2008, 03:33:00 PM »
Last weekend someone shot some nice pics from me and my Greco T-bird

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2008, 04:56:49 PM »

Nice pics Rob, who doesn't look good with a 'Bird! Enjoyed your soundclip earlier in the thread too.

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2008, 02:28:03 AM »
You look VERY angry on the last one, must seen a f****r around or something?  ;D
Very nice pics mate!  ;)
Don’t be stupid, be a smartie - come and join die schwarze Hardware party!