Author Topic: I quit one of my bands this weekend  (Read 1508 times)

pamlicojack

• View Profile
I quit one of my bands this weekend
« on: January 26, 2009, 05:39:41 PM »

For the first time in 25 years of playing, I walked away from a band.  I have so many irons in the fire that I was spending almost no time at home with the wife and/or kids. 

After a long bout of soul searching.  Cattletruck got the axe.  I have nothing but respect for the guys and they are all top-notch musicians, but I just couldn't justify my time.  I've spent the last 2 weeks in secret trying to line up candidates for my replacement and have passed along 5 potentials to the band.  They may not use any of them but at least I can't say I left them in a lurch.  I still have the Rayguns and we are playing out at a good pace, but one that the wife is comfortable with.

How did you deal with walking away?  I'm still not sure how I feel about it. 

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: I quit one of my bands this weekend
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 08:40:59 PM »
I quit one of my bands in  Sept. I just mentioned I needed a break and before I knew it, the guitar player and drummer said  "Me too!"   We left on great terms. I miss them but we're all better off now.   I got lucky, it could have been worse.   :)
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

rockinrayduke

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 09:34:40 PM »
I don't know if I could play in more than one band. Hats off to those of you who can.

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 10:06:35 PM »
i'm in 3 and its really hard.i think i'm gonna quit one but i have 2 other possible projects in the wings. plenty of time for sleep in the grave.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 06:52:03 AM »
Hey there is only so much of you to go around ! Ya can't do everything. You didn't leave them in the lerch so all should be cool.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 08:56:56 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 08:38:28 AM »
I think one band is plenty for most of us, especially us "experienced" players!  8)
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

EvilLordJuju

• Mud is its own reward
    • View Profile
    • Fly Guitars
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 10:36:07 PM »
Family must always come first. Perhaps you could offer to stand in once in a while until they get your replacement sorted.

rockinrayduke

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 06:43:31 AM »
"experienced" players!

e.g. "geezers"  :mrgreen:

Ray (aka geezer)  ;D
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 09:54:43 AM by rockinrayduke »

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 06:55:25 AM »
You ask yourself what you want from life, then you decide how to get that.  Too many irons in the fire meant you were missing something you really wanted.  You did the right thing.  I loved my indie pop band to death, but realized that there was a time I had to leave.  I could see the writing on the wall, and work was demanding more of me.  My father was also getting worse (cancer) back then, and he needed me a little more.  I walked away, sad, but without regrets.  Two months later, our singer walked out at a gig.  Not the best way to leave a band, but I knew that she would leave eventually.

Now, while I would love to get back into a more high energy rock thing, my health has gone down a lot (mostly physically, with the knee problems, etc.), and I couldn't stand for 3 sets if my life depended on it.  The country band is suiting me just fine.  I'm having some fun, playing, and I get to sit for at least half the night, if I want.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty