Author Topic: Mighty Mite necks  (Read 1511 times)

rockinrayduke

Mighty Mite necks
« on: January 24, 2009, 12:28:10 PM »
Pros and cons?

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Mighty Mite necks
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 01:55:36 PM »
They are on the bay all the time for like $93 bucks, rosewood or maple board. At that price I think they are a deal. They have the truss rod adjustment at the headstock which I like. They come with a dull sanding sealer finish that I don't mind. The ends of the frets need dressing more than say a Allparts neck but hey ya have to do it anyway. All in all I think they are a great deal.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

rockinrayduke

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 07:56:06 AM »
What about an Allparts neck? They're priced higher, are they that much better? And the drilling holes for neck bolts....it is that hard?

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 08:16:37 AM »
I don't think they Allparts are that much better especially if you are looking for just a P or J neck with dot inlays. You can get either rosewood or maple boards from Mighty Mite. Some of the Allparts necks come with a high gloss finish that drives the price up. The Tele Allparts neck I bought for $ 168 came with no finish, I had to shot it myself. Drilling pilot hole for the neck is a piece of cake. Put your neck in the bodies pocket and mark the holes with a awl. Remove the neck from the body. To drill the holes use a bit that is just a little smaller than the shaft of the neck screws. Use a piece of masking tape to mark the depth on the drill bit, you don't want to drill through to the fingerboard ! When you install the neck I like to use a little bees wax on the threads of the screws so they go in nice and easy. I you use a drill to drive the screws be sure to set the clutch on 5 or under, you don't want to torque off the heads !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

rockinrayduke

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 10:21:39 AM »
Thanks Scott! :mrgreen:

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 11:43:45 AM »
I agree, the MM necks are just fine and the AP necks can be a bit over-priced.  Nice neck mounting tutorial Scott!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 12:39:19 PM »
I have a MM neck on my Fenderbird and I like it. (Jazz style, maple board, dots) The frets tend to stick out the ends of the fingerboard during the winter, but overall, good and cheap. Made in Korea.

rockinrayduke

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 01:27:49 PM »
I'm thinking I'll snag one of these maple MM necks for my Fenderbird. If they pass muster with you guys then they can't be all that bad.

Dr. Aquafresh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 09:42:56 AM »
Hey Y'all,

I just got my Mighty Mite P-bass neck.

Just under a hundred bucks and the build quality looks very good indeed.

One thing I liked in particular was the thick fret board.

My various Fender necks all have a 1/8" fret board. The MM has a nice 1/4" piece of rosewood... just like my Warmoth necks.

Now this is not to say that the MM necks are as nice as the Warmoth but for under a hondo they do seem tough to beat.

I'm installing mine on a Fernandez body and I am pleased to report that the neck pocket is under sized... time to make a new template and bust out the router.

Later
Bring on the Nubiles