Author Topic: For Sale: Leon Wilkeson's Freebird Thunderbird  (Read 16314 times)

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: For Sale: Leon Wilkeson's Freebird Thunderbird
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 12:08:55 AM »
I love that custom 1964 Model One pickup!

barend

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 01:50:00 AM »
who spoiled this bass with that ugly refinish?

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 05:38:22 AM »
If it is legit that is a real piece of history. Luv the added horn extension to cure neck dive.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 09:35:17 AM »
That's a big if. I don't see any legitimate evidence yet that this is what the seller claims.

Even if it is, it has no celebrity value to me. Just a badly modded and badly refinished 64.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 11:15:34 AM »
i'd pop for the opening bid of 2k just on the chance it is legit.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

nofi

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 01:16:47 PM »
after leon died his wife had a 'yard sale' of sorts. she was practically giving things away.

they used to play in this little dive on peachtree street (atlanta) with all the other local bands. who knew!

btw i used to have one of leon's cases. :bored:

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 01:17:00 PM »
What I personally find interesting is that this Thunderbird apparently survived a plane crash without the headstock breaking off. Normally, if you LOOK at them the wrong way, the neck will snap.;D
I have seen that upper, ummm, appendage on a NR Firebird that some local guy had (had a Floyd Rose on it too, but that's a whole 'nuther kettle of stupid).
That Model One is definitely interesting...
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 01:57:29 PM »
LOL I was trying to think of the chances of that bass surviving a plane crash unbroken. I think it is safe to presume that that bass has been broken at some point.

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 02:26:14 PM »
they used to play in this little dive on peachtree street (atlanta) with all the other local bands.-fat macs rib shack?just curious because i went there to see some bands when i was recording a documentary on the paralympics.
Louder bass!.

JZumbro

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 02:43:09 PM »
Leon quit the band shortly before they recorded the first album, and rejoined afterward. As far as I know Ed King played bass on Freebird on their first album.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leon_Wilkeson

Wilkeson began to get cold feet just prior to recording sessions getting underway for their debut album, as he felt that he was still too young and not ready for a 'life on the road.' The bassist surprised his bandmates by bowing out, and taking a job stocking ice cream at 'Farm Best Dairy Products.' Former Strawberry Alarm Clock member Ed King subbed for Wilkeson during the recording of Skynyrd's 1973 debut, Pronounced Leh-Nerd Skin-Nerd, but just as sessions wrapped up, Wilkeson began having second thoughts about leaving the group. After discussing the matter with Van Zant, Wilkeson was welcomed back into Lynyrd Skynyrd.

That is the story they've always told (Ed King said the parts he played were written by Leon). Ed, of course, stayed on as guitar player.

JZumbro

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 02:48:45 PM »
Luv the added horn extension to cure neck dive.

I noticed on a live video of the current version of the band their new bass player was playing a Thunderbird with the same kind of extension. It was chrome or at least silver colored, but if it had been black it would have blended right in with his black shirt and would have been unnoticeable. I actually didn't notice it at first like it was.

A pretty good idea.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 05:43:21 PM »
I think a lot of the confusion is that this is a rare Gibson "ARTIST" edition.  Once I was in a shop and picked up a Fender Jazzmaster only to find out it was a Gibson Les Paul.  But it was an ARTIST edition!  Everyone knows the DiMarzio Model One was a direct copy of the ultra rare 1960's ARTIST edition of the mudbucker.  Seldom seen.  Only installed as the lead pup on Tbirds and maybe a Trini Lopez guitar.  Very confusing, but we are all learning, I am sure.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009, 06:02:10 PM »
LOL!

I'd guess that this is not the bass that Leon Wilkeson didn't play when he didn't record Freebird. But it survived the plane crash by not being on board.

nofi

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 07:46:52 PM »
the band played at a place called finocio's in the early seventies. fat matt's did not come around until sometime in the nineties. matt's is still here and one of the best blues joints in town.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 07:00:43 AM by nofi »