Author Topic: hey rahock  (Read 1653 times)

nofi

hey rahock
« on: January 10, 2009, 09:49:28 PM »
what's your opinion on the roland cube 30 for my olympia. reviews are good but i know you have some experience with roland stuff.

nofi

rahock

• View Profile
Re: hey rahock
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 07:22:31 AM »
I never played a 30 watt cube but I think the emulation/effects electronics is the same as their bigger stuff. A guitar player buddy of mine has a  5 watt,30 watt , 60 watt,and 120 watt guitar amps and they are the same in everything but power and a few updates based on what year they were made.  He also has the 100 watt bass amp with a single 12 . He is not just a Roland junkie either. He has several other amps too, including a couple Fenders and some real pricey tube Boutique stuff. He just likes quality stuff and he's pretty darn picky.
I like everything they make :). That little 5 watt he bought me is a gas. Extremely large watts. I have an old Gibson Atlas that is 35-40 watts and my 5 watt Roland is close in volume and head and shoulders better in tone.

The only issue either one of of us has ever experienced with Roland stuff is a one time incident with his 60 watt guitar amp and my 5 watt bass amp. A one time only thing for both of us. Kinda weird. After 4 or 5 hours with the volume cranked up they started to disort,  feedback and in general just get noisey. I thought I had big problems, but the next time I tried it , everything was fine ???. I've heated it with 4-5 hours plus several times since and had no problems. No clue what happened.

The effects and emulation stuff is nice. I don't use much of it , but it's cool. For guitar players and bass players who are die hard tube heads, Rolands emulation electronics may change a lot of their opinions on solid states.

Roland has a pretty good reputation for being rock solid. Their old 60 watt orange guitar amps were indestructible. I know several players who beat the hell out of them for 10 years plus and never spent a dime on them.

Again, I never played a 30 watt but I imagine they're good. If you're out shopping around for Roland stuff, give their 5 watt micro cube a try.

Rick

nofi

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 07:59:08 AM »
thank you, sir!

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 07:16:10 AM »
Hey nofi, I hope you see this. I have an update on that "one time only" problem with my Roland Micro cube. Last night I had the acoustic squad over for a jam and I was playing my Olympia through my Seymour Duncan 400watt head and Avatar 2 12" w/tweeter cab  . Son of a gun .....after 5-6 hours , I started breaking up, getting feedback , weird noises and all that other crap.
 Apparently it was the freakin' Olympia that gooned out on me :o. I don't know if the preamp heated up or it just needs a new battery. I  switched basses and everything was fine.  :) I can't remember for sure, but I think when my Guitar player bud had similar issues he was playing his new Strat with a preamp. So, I'm thinking my one and only Roland issue just disappeared :)

Have you ever had your Olympia go into "goon out mode" like that? Mine was plugged in and turned on for at least 5  , maybe over 6 hours. I wish I was watching the clock a little better :-[
BTW; How's your Roland quest going?

Rick

nofi

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 07:53:23 AM »
hi rick and thanks for the update. my cube quest is on hold due to sudden unemployment. my olympia has never gone down so far. i have never even come close to playing plugged in for that period of time plus i use an acoustic preamp/DI when i do play electric to smooth out the piezo noise.

i do have a roland, however. it's the world's heaviest practice amp. a 25 year old roland combo with 70 watts and one 15" speaker. it sounds ok but is a real boat anchor. :P
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 09:14:43 AM by nofi »

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 10:14:26 AM »
Sudden unemployment :o I'm pretty familiar with the concept, I'm in the Detroit area. I'm retired/disabled ,but this economy is kickin' me in the ass too. Like many others, I'm worth about 40% less than I was a year ago and  that's not counting a freakin'  nice new house that's worth a whole lot less than I paid for it  three years ago >:(.      WTF.....it beats living in a refridgerator box under a viaduct . Of course that might tighten up my blues chops ;)
 If you don't mind my asking, what do you ... or perhaps I should say, DID you do?

Rick

nofi

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 11:51:16 AM »
ha, now this is a funny  :rolleyes: story. i worked for a family roofing company for 6 years. i never took a vacation or a sick day until i lost a kidney to cancer 1 1/2 years ago. but that's not the reason. the owners little sex felon brother.(true story) needed a job so in a few months he had my mine and i was gone.

in retrospect it worked out ok because my wife can't work because of severe back problems and more surgery is in her future. luckily it's a workman's comp beef so we pay nothing. so i am mr. mom. knock wood it could always be worse. btw i ordered a new set of labella tapes today because that's the only spare money i forsee for a long time. ;)

i bet this is more of a story than you reckoned on. :mrgreen:

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 05:24:32 PM »
Oof. Sorry to hear about all this, Tom. Sounds like it will work out. Best wishes.

nofi

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 06:09:07 PM »
thanks, dave.  :)

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 09:16:51 PM »
Sorry to hear it.  If it had of happened three months ago you could come down to Houston/Galveston and made out like a freakin" bandit.  I've seen roofers from as far away as Alaska - some of them are still here and there are still plenty of blue "Fema" tarps to be seen as well.

Hope things work out for you - hang in there.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 06:11:40 AM »
That pretty much sucks >:(  Working for a family business can, and often does, get like that. Don't go getting crazy and doing something like trying to apply logic to the situation. That never works in a family business situation.
Hang in there, something good will come around :)
Rick

nofi

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 06:24:16 AM »
yeah, they can be weird. out of nine people who worked in the office i was the only non family member. on a brighter note my wife who manages a law firm can retire and barely lose any money beacause of  disability, social security, etc. i on the other hand hope for a rewarding job as a wal mart greeter. :o

thank you all for your kind words. ;D