Author Topic: Why do they call the flipped over version of the Thunderbird "Non-reverse?"  (Read 2243 times)

Blazer

As we all know the original run of Firebirds and Thunderbirds started in 1963 and ended in 1965 when the entire range was revamped with a styling which flipped over the shape.

But I never understood why they call those flipped over versions "Non-reverse" if they have a body outline which in a way is the reverse of the original styling? I mean nobody called the Firebirds and Thunderbirds when they first came out "reversed", they just called them "Firebirds" and "Thunderbirds"

It doesn't make sense, why would anybody flip over a body design and then call it "non-reverse" when it actually IS reversed.

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
somethings are unknown and unknowable.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
I mean nobody called the Firebirds and Thunderbirds when they first came out "reversed", they just called them "Firebirds" and "Thunderbirds"

Actually a number of people did call them reverse bodies, because the extended horn was on the reverse side from the way other guitars were.

And that's why the second edition was called nonreverse, just to distinguish it from the first issue.

amimbari

• View Profile
as you guys know, I play reversed, so a non-reverse to me would be "non-reversed", cause the point would be on the bottom...lololol

lowend1

• View Profile
Actually a number of people did call them reverse bodies, because the extended horn was on the reverse side from the way other guitars were.

And that's why the second edition was called nonreverse, just to distinguish it from the first issue.

"Other guitars" being largely produced by Fender - Gibson's doublecut offerings at that point being more or less equal, upper to lower horn. Maybe a couple of Epis, but even that is a bit of stretch...
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Well, I think the Fender Jazzmaster/Jaguar was the guitar 'to beat'? Of course the first birds look a bit like reversed Jazz/Jags and the Nonrevs are more like normal Jazz/Jags.

I think those names are totally clear.

eb2

• View Profile
I always recall the origin being that they were a combination of the bodies and and headstock of the originals "pointing up" stylistically, going in reverse.  Also, in general, they looked like flipped over Fenders - reversed. 
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
When I first heard the terms reverse and non-reverse I was confused too, thinking along the same lines as Blazer.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
"Other guitars" being largely produced by Fender - Gibson's doublecut offerings at that point being more or less equal, upper to lower horn. Maybe a couple of Epis, but even that is a bit of stretch...

Right. The horn was on the reverse side of Fenders and their early imitators.

And I think Chris is right, too. Back at the time I thought they were going after the Jazzmaster/Jaguar market. That may seem odd today but it wasn't back then. Although Strats were easily still Fender's best seller, Fender was promoting the Jaguar and Jazzmaster as their premium models. When I was in high school a Strat was $245 and a Jag or j/m was $325 (IIRC).

nofi

when i was in high school a new fender p bass and REAL hsc was 200 bucks. sometimes less.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com

I think it's important to remember it is Gibson that we're talking about here.....................
it's not supposed to make sense.  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

eb2

• View Profile
Another thing is that the terms came in after both versions appeared, so the older one would have been a reverse of the newer one.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Nice thing is that no one will remember in some decades why certain Gibson shortscales are called Hobbits, how Clownburst appeared and why Rob has a Tonka Hobbit:)

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Then you have Entwistle's Fenderbirds with reverse bodies & non reverse pickguards, the ultimate parody. Reverse non reverse or non reverse reverse?

Blazer

Then you have Entwistle's Fenderbirds with reverse bodies & non reverse pickguards, the ultimate parody. Reverse non reverse or non reverse reverse?

So what would MY Fenderbird be then?