Author Topic: Dan Armstrong basses - yea or nay?  (Read 1774 times)

pamlicojack

• View Profile
Dan Armstrong basses - yea or nay?
« on: December 10, 2008, 06:16:01 PM »
I've wanted one for many years but have never found one at a decent price.   Anyone have any experience with them?

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Re: Dan Armstrong basses - yea or nay?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 11:25:26 AM »
I read an article about them saying that they were mediocre, the change of pickups did not change the tone much they were heavy and had neck movement/secured issues. They can be pricey as well.

bassobsessed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 06:06:43 AM »
Once tried the wooden version (original, made in uk, not the ampeg re-issue) with the sliding pickup. I thought it was outstanding, very much like a smoother sounding EB3

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 07:01:19 AM »
I never owned  a Dan Armstrong, but back in the early 70s I had the the hots for one of these real bad. All I can remember from the time I finally got my hands on one, is that I was a bit underwhelmed. For starters, I was bench pressing about 300lbs at the time , and the thing I remember most about the DA is that it was too heavy for my tastes. They had a nice feel and the sound was pretty good , but nothing to jump up and down about. The changable pickups sounded like a great idea to me, but that was something else that was really nothing to jump up and down about. It wasn't anything that you couldn't get out of the tone control on most basses and/or a bump on the EQ of your amp. As someone mentioned, kind of a smoother version of an EB3.
If you are a Gibson lover, this may be just what you're looking for.....but they're fuggin' heavy.

Rick

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 09:12:15 AM »
The 90s reissues are very bad. I tried one and it was the baddest bass I've ever played. But: They're reissuing them again and I believe the new ones are good!!

rockinrayduke

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 05:48:22 PM »
I had one in the 80's, really thought it would be a great bass, I was wrong. Sounded bland, no personality, couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 06:22:46 AM »
Sounded bland, no personality, couldn't get rid of it fast enough.
Excellent choice of words :)
"BLAND". That's the best word to describe a Dan Armstrong. Mosrites were the same type of thing for me. Nice feel, nice look,but plug one in and a large dose of "BLAND" smacks you right in the face.
Still, I could understand a Gibson lover being attracted to a Dan Armstrong. If you were looking for a toned down EB3 kind of sound this would do the trick. If you wanted the EB3 type balls, you would have to get them out of your amp(which is doable). The bass itself, is lacking testicles and very "BLAND".
Rick

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 05:46:23 PM »
Interesting. I've never been dissatisfied with the tone of my Armstrong. It's the feel that has always been a little unnerving. Short scale, two octaves, and it feels very, er, tight - when you get into the upper registers. I would call the sound an EB-0 with edge. Volume wise it's on a par with my '68 rat EB-0, but it blows my '72 EB-3 out of the water in that dept. I once brought it to an open jam where the house bassist had some kind of high end bass with active electronics. When I plugged in the DA, we had to turn his amp down. His initial reaction was just "Wow".
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter