Author Topic: TB Plus Pups on Ebay  (Read 599 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
TB Plus Pups on Ebay
« on: November 21, 2008, 06:26:54 AM »
I've ordered a few of those chrome and gold cap guitar-size TB Plus humbuckers that are currently on offer (again) on ebay for a moderate bin of US-$ 120 and it just occurred to me that these have most likely only become available again (they were off the market for a while) because Gibson has meanwhile abandoned all models that featured them.

- This was the standard pup of the Les Paul Standard throughout the nineties and the first half of this decade, but the LP Standard is (lamentably so) deleted now.

- It also saw service on the EB-650 in the early nineties, but that bass was a shortlived affair.

- The Epiphone Elitist TBirds most likely featured them as well (or something that looked uncannily similar). Again deleted.

- The last/final model to feature those pups was then the likewise ill-fated and additionally ill-named Doublecut/Money bass (hence the gold version of the pups as the rootbeer fin Doublecut/Money bass had gold hardware and pups). And when that didn't set the world on fire it was deleted last year too.

Why am I rambling? Because my guess is Gibson is now clearing this type of pup out for good passing it on to retail and won't be building it in the future anymore. Which makes those current ebay supplies finite, jawohl!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: TB Plus Pups on Ebay
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 08:56:51 AM »
Good points, for sure! Get 'em while you can. They sound and look awesome! I was thinking of a pair of gold ones in case I ever decide to do an Explorerbird.