Author Topic: Newer Bird Pickup  (Read 4237 times)

lowend1

• View Profile
Newer Bird Pickup
« on: November 18, 2008, 05:25:52 AM »
I recently acquired one (Black Gibson RI variety) and was thinking of using it in an ongoing project bass. How different are these from the pickups in my '76 T-Bird? Is it better suited (all things considered) to the bridge or "middle position? Would it be acceptable as a single pickup in the "sweet spot" ala Music Man?
T'anks!
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Newer Bird Pickup
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 06:02:06 AM »
You've just opened the Pandora's Box and everyone will be going through the motions of restating what they habitually say. There are three opinions:

- New TB Plus pups sound crap, sixties and Bicentennial pups rule.

- New TB Plus pups just look crap, but sound almost as good as the old ones.

- Had today's TB Plus pups been available as an aftermarket replacement in the sixties and seventies, people would have killed for them.

I adhere to the latter school of thought, but am a minority here in this respect. To me, the TB Plus pup is one of the best passive bass pups available today. It has modern high output without sounding overblown, it can take a real beating string-input-wise without compressing or distorting, yet it never sounds sterile. If a Jazz Bass is your dream sound, you might find it too dark though. It sounds fuller and with more torque than any of its predecessors which generally have more overdrive to them and compress more if you play real hard (which is what many here prefer). I find it closer in sound to a sixties pup than to a Bicentennial which will forever have a slight single coil characteristic to it in my ears (which I like too, just not all the time) which I don't hear with the TB Plus.

One thing it is not: A great bridge pup. It needs the strings to swing so anything between P Bass (not Musicman) position and right behind the neck goes. In the latter position the ooomph is magic, yet you still have a signal that can be heard rather than felt.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 06:09:03 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 06:34:53 AM »
I own a 68 Non Reverse and a 70's Tbird pickup equipped Fenderbird and I hate to say I favor my modern TB equipped les Paul's sound over all of them. All sound great, but if I had to pick one as my one & only out of the three it would be my LP. Sorry.

It does everything great and it far more versatile sound wise.

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 06:54:12 AM »
Must admit I really enjoy my T-bird +. I can compare it to the '60s pickups om my two Epiphone Embassy basses, and the '65 T-bird pup I've put in a Lotus bass. When I got a '70s Ripper without pups, I throw in a T-bird +  in it. Same position as the old Ripper pups. That is my main bass, nowadays. Gives me everything from cotton to chain saw sound. Yep, one hell of a pickup!

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 08:55:43 AM »
The TB+s sound fantastic, and given the cost alone of those used (<$100) vs. a 60s or 70s pickup (2-300?), I would be inclined to go that route for a project bass.  I have one waiting patiently for the elusive BachBird species (seen only in captivity...).  Based on my experiences with the Elitist tbird, I think one TB+ in the "sweet spot" will do me proud on the new hatchling.

One caveat - didn't someone try them in a other-than-mahogany (maple?) bass and find they were too bright/brash sounding (remembering a conversation back at DP)?  Stjofön's Ripper would be maple though...  ???   Anyway... If there is any validity to that, it may be something to consider when planning a project bass. 

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 09:26:27 AM »

I've said it before, that I don't mind the sound of TB plus pickups, it's the black plastic that I don't care for. Gibson really should step ont of their 1980's black hardware only option for Thunderbirds, it would be a most refreshing change.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 09:43:46 AM »
The patient here is my Frankenstein P-Bass, which started life as a Squier P-Bass Special. The body is agathis and the neck is an SX J-Bass. I want to replace the Jazz bridge p/u with the TB+ - a "P-Bird" if you will.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 09:47:54 AM »

I think it'll be interesting to hear a soundclip of that bass when your work is done! 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 10:20:36 AM »
All Tbird pickups are blade-type pickups? What is the impedance on those?
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 11:06:44 AM »
I think it'll be interesting to hear a soundclip of that bass when your work is done! 

BTW, Mark, the guy I got this pickup from has 2 T-Birds - one was a mangled but functional Bicentennial that allegedly belonged to Gene Simmons, and the other was a Blackbird that had been beautifully refinished in  lavender sparkle - the paint flakes were HUGE, like an old Schwinn Stingray seat. It had your name written all over it.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 11:47:41 AM »

Whoa! Sounds cool.............If only I were  a wealthy German Law Talkin' Guy  ;)

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 12:35:38 PM »
other was a Blackbird that had been beautifully refinished in  lavender sparkle - the paint flakes were HUGE, like an old Schwinn Stingray seat. It had your name written all over it.

Any pics?

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 12:42:41 PM »
Not at the moment - I really should get back over to him and take a couple shots. He told me he had it redone to give to his daughter when she got older.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 01:20:16 PM »
All Tbird pickups are blade-type pickups? What is the impedance on those?

They're all blade type but they're not the same.

current issue: steel blades with magnet below
60s: the blades are the magnets
70s: sidewinder coils with blade

I don't know the various resistance readings.

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 03:15:48 PM »
Thank you dave, precious information!

I found that on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Thunderbird-Bass-Guitar-Pickup-Rhythm-Black_W0QQitemZ370108542190QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item370108542190&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205 (I don't know if this is original). If you look at the second picture (the underside of the pickup) it looks rather narrow, kinda like a normal blade humbucker for guitar like this one http://www.diyguitars.net/pictures/artec/HXTNA-BK-1.jpg. Could that be the case? Has anyone measure this?

Also the same seller has those http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Thunderbird-TB-Bass-Guitar-Treble-Pickup_W0QQitemZ110313748214QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item110313748214&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205 what exactly are those pickups? TB plus for Les Paul bass maybe? Or fake?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 03:30:11 PM by exiledarchangel »
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.